Michigan Women's Hoops

https://twitter.com/JDsSportsTweets/status/1775335591325913527?t=-ZElf-6fykb6tEcSfSfdIQ&s=19

6 Likes

Syla is gonna be unreal good. Olivia will too, but Syla I think could be next level good

Syla is #11 in the country and Olivia is #15

6 Likes

I can’t find the box score but Swords had 12 points and Olsen had 6. They each had at least a couple of assists.

3 Likes

I really like what KBA has built

5 Likes

i had to rewatch this like five times and eventually had to full-screen it to understand when she passed it

3 Likes

Indeed!

It’ll be interesting to see if she can stack highly-ranked classes.

It’ll be nice to not have to deal with Caitlin Clark anymore, but now we’ll have Juju. USC also had at least one McD player today, but I didn’t see her do much.

2 Likes

I watched part of the game. Sarah Strong clearly looks like the best player in the country. She looks like an ideal 4 but isn’t a selfish player. That’s just one game to go off from.

I just saw that USC has 5 players in the top 100 (6, 23 and 28 at top 30) so it’s an elite recruiting class to go with JuJu.

USC had 3 McDonald’s players, UCLA and Michigan had 2, OSU and Illinois each had 1. And there were 2 uncommitted players.

It’s going to take me like 3 years before I get used to seeing the four P12 schools mentioned with the current B1G and not blankly stare for 30 seconds.

4 Likes

Locker room upgrade:

4 Likes

Do the men’s and women’s teams use the same locker rooms?

I don’t think so. There’s been occasions in the last couple of years where they basically played a double-header, so I think they must have different locker rooms.

1 Like

Woodson now in the portal as well. Hope KBA has been in discussions with some frontcourt players in the portal because it’s looking very thin. Surprising since she’s been a very big friendly coach. Or maybe she had some frank discussions with the post players and said their minutes will probably not increase and she’s going to bring someone from the outside to start next season. Woodson didn’t get a ton of minutes this year but liked her as a recruit and I expected her role to increase a bit next season

1 Like

That’s a shame. I thought she was poised and played good D for a freshman. Didn’t have much of a shot, but can be coached. Best of luck to her.

1 Like

Just think, like with men, it’s going to get harder and harder to keep top ____ recruits who don’t play as freshmen.

3 Likes

100% agree with this and with bacon’s take. I mean, she had worked her way to 6th-7th in the rotation by the back half of the season, played very well in both the press and half-court defense, and they even trusted her enough on D to put her on Caitlin Clark. As a true freshman.

I don’t get this one at all. This and the Taylor Williams transfer have me thinking “hmmm” because both were very clearly in line for PT next year. As you said, her offense definitely needed work, but she clearly had a path to PT on defense alone.

She was basically averaging the same MPG as Elise Stuck – a senior who had been an important part of past postseason runs – and Greta – a junior who played 16 MPG last year. She was also ahead of freshman Macy Brown (whose PT basically evaporated down the stretch) and was edging out sophomore Alyssa Crockett by essentially directly taking away Alyssa’s PT.

Maybe she’s homesick? From a purely PT perspective – especially given the number of front court players who had already entered the portal – this one makes no sense at all to me.

Looks like Michigan roster next season has a lot of guards but is lacking front-court players. It’ll be interesting to see what KBA will do this offseason and how she’ll plan with an abundance of guards. Maybe the guards will play on the wing? I mean some have enough size to do so.

I’m surprised too, for the same reasons as above. It felt like she finished strong and would’ve had an expanded role next year.

This isn’t good

https://twitter.com/goodmansport/status/1777720307475693840?t=qotGUdeKr-hQuIyfWdux8A&s=19

1 Like