Big Ten Tournament Discussion Thread

Bracket is set

1 Like

Favorite time of year :slight_smile: now if only they could add Little Cesar’s Arena to the rotation.

1 Like

Figured I’d wait for you to start this one.

Iowa could be a little scary if they really do carry over any momentum from today.

I’m going - bought my tickets early in the second half of Penn State turtling.

Don’t mean to be overly optimistic, just hopeful, but I got

2 tix, floor seats behind the basket but off to the side, 19 rows up for our initial game

2 tix, same seats for I hope us against Nebraska

2 tix for the semis, cornerish, 4 rows up

don’t know if I dare get championship tickets

I’ll be the fat guy after putting on 30 pounds of winter padding (I hate winter) screaming frighteningly loud for our team (as a former college singer, I’ve got some crazy lungs)

GO BLUE

6 Likes

Oh, and the championship game is on my birthday, so…

:pray::pray::pray:

:innocent::innocent::innocent:

4 Likes

You go, guy. Enjoy the heck out of it.

3 Likes

When is the big ten awards show?

Let’s hope for a very happy birthday! I’d sing happy birthday to you, I do a really good rendition :grinning:, but I’d be too intimidated to sing happy birthday to a former college singer! Hey, have a great time and know that you represent a GREAT Michigan fan base here at Umhoops. Go Blue!!!

1 Like

While UM of course wants to win it all, seems like a good baseline goal is to win two games and get passed Nebraska. This would avenge our loss to the Huskers and hopefully keep us at no lower than the 6 line, which is a nice place to be.

Any preferences between Illinois and Iowa? They are 1-spot apart in kenpom and 3 in the RPI, so it might not matter much.

2 Likes

I’d prefer Iowa, just because Brad Underwood is twice the coach that Fran is and we seemed to struggle with their pressure defense in our first match up.

1 Like

On the other hand, Michigan owns Illinois in the BTT. Nice little recent past history, even though Underwood obviously wasn’t part of that ha.

I think I agree. Generally I’d rather play the bad team we didn’t already play twice, but I have a somewhat easier time seeing Illinois upset us than Iowa.

A lot of Michigan talk in the article. They get the “Probably better than its seed” and “Best chance to be a Cinderella” distinctions

1 Like

It turned out pretty well last time Michigan was a 5 seed in the Big Ten Tournament.

1 Like

Those numbers show us at about a 2 to 1 favorite over Nebraska. Anyone know what that means for the point spread?

Good resource here https://gamepredict.us/kenpom

2 Likes

Tim Miles is going after KenPom on twitter.

Now we need to destroy Nebraska in the name of advanced analytics

3 Likes

Hmmm, Nebraska is ranked higher in Kenpom then they are in the RPI. Don’t get his beef in this instance.

It was a 3-part tweet. Basically kenpom predicted at various points that Nebraska wouldn’t do well this year and then they did much better than kenpom predicted. The first tweet says "I love @kenpomeroy and sometimes his computer . . . " Basically joking that he was going to be fired based on predictions but now maybe not so much.

1 Like