Josh Langford Offered

Michigan offered 2016 5 star combo guard Joshua Langford today, more on that here @jerrymeyer247 (VIP): http://t.co/NLUQfwFCvc

— Mark Zakrajsek (@Mgobluegr) August 9, 2014

We should all get a round of applause for #2, the board has been very active…which is great. Dylan - I’d have to assume you are very pleased with the traffic on the board…the site has really grown over the past 3-4 months, especially considering it’s technically the off-season.

I definitely like that Beilein is going all out on the scholarships. I think he’s learned that it’s VERY hard to get your top choice, so offering multiple top talents at each position makes the drop off if we don’t get our top choice very minimal.

I definitely like that Beilein is going all out on the scholarships. I think he's learned that it's VERY hard to get your top choice, so offering multiple top talents at each position makes the drop off if we don't get our top choice very minimal.

Michigan has also never really been able to get this many five-star/high four-star level prospects to visit from across the country.

I definitely like that Beilein is going all out on the scholarships. I think he's learned that it's VERY hard to get your top choice, so offering multiple top talents at each position makes the drop off if we don't get our top choice very minimal.

Michigan has also never really been able to get this many five-star/high four-star level prospects to visit from across the country.

Whatever else you can say about Michigan’s recruiting and trajectory, this is undeniable. The quality of prospects that have early mutual interest with Michigan is great to see on the rise. Just have to continue the trend to the next level.

There is no denying that the staff has made every effort to go after an abundance of upper tier, multifaceted players for 2016. It does seem that JB & co. Have ramped up in the intensity in terms of recruiting. The July viewing period seemed to be a more diligent time for the staff in relation to the same time period last year. As a fan, im very pleased with their recruiting efforts thus far for the 2016 class, and those efforts have already payed off in getting an early commitment from Teske, who will probably anchor our defense from 2017 onward.

Always laugh at the notion that Michigan is somehow recruiting harder during July than another year. John Beilein and his assistants spend every hour of the live evaluation period on the road and in AAU gyms. This hasn’t changed and the same is basically true for every major program.

Probably true, perhaps it’s the amount of coverage this July has received from various outlets or more likely the results that tainted my opinion. On the other hand, it does seem as if this July the staff has been working diligently on roughly 10 players whereas last year that number was seemingly 5, which would indicate the staff is being more diligent overall

As I recall, last summer the staff spent a decent amount of time following emerging prospects. None of which have been nearly as high profile as all the prospects they are following this year. I’m remembering the search for a combo forward leading to Grantham, Wilson, etc. I think the perception of increased “work” may be a combo of

1. Higher profile targets which attend more high-profile events, and therefore we get more notes about which coaches are watching whom.

2. The forum on here being in full swing and us having a huge “assorted notes” thread where people were diligently capturing pretty much every tweet about the prospects we knew about going into the July period.

We should all get a round of applause for #2, the board has been very active.....which is great. Dylan - I'd have to assume you are very pleased with the traffic on the board.....the site has really grown over the past 3-4 months, especially considering it's technically the off-season.

The growth of the board over the last few months has been great. I think we are getting close to that critical mass that we need for things to really take off. April, May, June and July were out best months yet – by a fairly wide margin – and August could be even better. Hopefully we can keep it up. Always open to feedback, etc. as well.

Langford is a better player than Battle.

Here’s hoping for some 5-star commitments to really get the board going :slight_smile:

Here's hoping for some 5-star commitments to really get the board going :)

But then would there be any room for debate? :wink:

I’m not huge on Battle, but I would have to see if Langford can shoot the ball consistently before I can fully agree. No doubt in my mind that Langford is the better ball handler and has better court vision, just a better creator in general. Battle seems to be a bit more athletic but again, Langford coming off injury, would have to evaluate him at full health.

I’m not huge on Battle, but I would have to see if Langford can shoot the ball consistently before I can fully agree. No doubt in my mind that Langford is the better ball handler and has better court vision, just a better creator in general. Battle seems to be a bit more athletic but again, Langford coming off injury, would have to evaluate him at full health.

have to consider Langford is 10-15 lbs heavier than Battle when talking athleticism

His pull-up is money from people whose scouting I trust but his 3 ball needs work

In terms of Langford vs. Battle, I definitely think that Langford fits better within the system than Battle, but the whole “Thornton and Battle want to play together” thing kind of makes me wonder if they will end up being an unofficial package deal, which would be awesome if that means we could get Thornton too. On the other hand, if we miss out on both of those two, the combination of Langford plus any of Winston/ Goodin/ Ramsey/ Murray would still be a big success in my opinion.

The thing I like about Langford is that he can certainly handle some PG duty whereas Battke is strictly a 2/3 at this point. Don’t think Battle/DT is a package deal, pops is running the Battle recruitment and he wants Duke. DTs father pretty much will appease anyone in any given interview just because he seems like a nice guy that does that type of thing. Wouldn’t put too much into anything DTs dad says regarding a package and Battle’s pops has explicitly stated that each will do what’s best for the individual.

Ok, that makes sense. I didn’t know that Battle’s dad was running it so that definitely doesn’t help. I agree with your assessment of Langford’s point guard skills too. Judging by his highlights, he has acceptable ball handling, but it looked like he had great court vision.

Meyer thinks Langford is a KU and UM battle and has him going to us. He is also an Adidas kid.

KU is after a ton of top 25 guards (Josh Jackson, Kobi Simmons, Jayson Tatum, etc) so have to wonder who is priority.

As we saw with Teske, being the main priority of the team goes a long way in impressing a recruit.