New offers

Derryck Thronton has picked up Florida and Oklahoma with Kentucky probably coming soon.
Tyus Battle added Kentucky and Louisville
Quentin Goodin added Purdue and UNLV

IMO JB should send interest out to Kobi Simmons and Mustapha Heron as a way to reciprocate Cal’s interest in UM targets.

Both are top 20 guys so bluebloods offering was to be expected. Still think based on all the articles out there, UM leads and gets a commitment from DTJR in the fall.

From what I just read, Tyus Battle = UK bound.

That’s the vibe I’ve been getting ever since he left UM - Dad wants UK

That's the vibe I've been getting ever since he left UM - Dad wants UK

Yup… the quotes for UM and UK are night and day

Need to get Jamal Murray, Eron Gordon, Josh Langford up to AA ASAP, as well as the 2015 guys.

Jamal Murray>Eron Gordon by a healthy margin in my view

Yeah but that CIA bounce ----> Syracuse pipeline is undefeated so need a wider net. Goodin at the 2 seems most likely.

I still think we have a shot at Battle though. Matthews, Ullis and Booker are all multi-year guys,plus whomever UK adds in 2015 and 2016. If not, Malik Monk, Mustapha Heron, Kobi Simmons, Amir Coffey, Howard Washington, Payton Pritchard and Keith Smith, all names I hope to see garner UM interest after July.

IMO JB should send interest out to Kobi Simmons and Mustapha Heron as a way to reciprocate Cal's interest in UM targets.

I don’t think JB & co operate this way. And I think the staff’s integrity, while it costs them some opportunities, also appeals to guys who end up coming. Plus, unless UM has serious interest, it would waste time without accomplishing much.

IMO JB should send interest out to Kobi Simmons and Mustapha Heron as a way to reciprocate Cal's interest in UM targets.

I don’t think JB & co operate this way. And I think the staff’s integrity, while it costs them some opportunities, also appeals to guys who end up coming. Plus, unless UM has serious interest, it would waste time without accomplishing much.

I was being partially facetious. We all know JB would not do that. Kobi Simmons and Mustapha Heron should get looks because they are outstanding prospects, though. Both were thought to be UK locks but a Battle/DTJR package deal (doubtful), would make them look elsewhere.

Ben Roberts
‏@NextCats
Derryck Thornton says he’s been watching Calipari since he had Derrick Rose at Memphis. California PG sounds very interested in the Cats.

@NextCats
2016 point guard Derryck Thornton will start a 3-day visit to UK on Saturday night. Sounds like an offer will come on that trip.

I was being partially facetious. We all know JB would not do that. Kobi Simmons and Mustapha Heron should get looks because they are outstanding prospects, though. Both were thought to be UK locks but a Battle/DTJR package deal (doubtful), would make them look elsewhere.

Oops, I probably should’ve realized that. Also, isn’t Heron committed to Pittsburgh? Is he taking a peak at KY or opening things back up more generally?

Oops, I probably should’ve realized that. Also, isn’t Heron committed to Pittsburgh? Is he taking a peak at KY or opening things back up more generally?

The coach UK just hired was a Pitt assistant that was Heron’s primary recruiter and has deep ties in the Tristate area, hence the sudden interest in Tyus Battle. Prevailing thought is/was he decommits and heads to UK.

As much as I vehemently dislike Calipari, the culture he’s created has every supposed “elite” prospect craving his offer to validate their ranking/worth. Don’t kid yourself, almost every high profile recruit covets that offer as the stepping stone to their belief that they are NBA material. It’s almost a let down to them if they don’t get one and others do. It’s a badge of honor and bragging rights. It takes a special kid to see thru the hype and honestly self evaluate what the best situation for them truly is.

Can someone elaborate on the Battle quotes about UK? Or is it strictly paywalled material (in which case, I understand that it can’t be posted)?

Kentucky will always be tough to compete against but the UM culture is growing. We may never be a top 5 destination school but I would settle for number six. It seems like the freshman want to play early and I continue to believe that some of these young men will find time with UM.

Can someone elaborate on the Battle quotes about UK? Or is it strictly paywalled material (in which case, I understand that it can't be posted)?

Gary Battle was raving how amazing and “sexy” the offer and visit was and basically stating that Tyus would be willing to pull the trigger after all their visits this summer.

Gary Battle was raving how amazing and "sexy" the offer and visit was and basically stating that Tyus would be willing to pull the trigger after all their visits this summer.

Well, honestly, if he’s not coming to Michigan, knowing it by end of summer is actually great news. Though hopefully that wouldn’t then sway DTJr to the dark side.

I have said last week about not being optimistic about Battle, but I still feel good about Thronton.