Isaiah Livers is a game-time type of decision at Rutgers

agreed but there is a cost benefit analysis of a guy that keeps getting hurt and sprains dont heal quickly, feels like the safer and higher probability on a short turnaround is that livers is out

ill be shocked if he does play

1 Like

I agree. I honestly donā€™t think Livers goes tonight but it would sure be nice if he did

1 Like

I mean, I think itā€™s clear that the injury isnā€™t very serious. Thereā€™s a wide range of outcomes on ankle sprains and itā€™s completely reasonable to be fine after a couple days. Particularly since they put him back into the actual game he got injured in!

Hell, game-time decision generally means ā€œthe player gives it a go and sees how they feel in warm-ups and then they make the decisionā€. Livers already let us know how he felt two days ago.

2 Likes

A sprained ankle always feels better right after it happens than it will in the days after. While you still have your shoe on and/or can get it taped up, you can probably feel okay. Itā€™s in the hours and days after the sprain that it really swells and stiffens and the pain kicks in. Speaking from personal experience. I say this to suggest that Isaiah coming back in on Saturday may not mean as much as we want it to.

3 Likes

That is true. But I think Reegs is right in reading into Isaiahā€™s comments. They were much much more positive than anything we got on his other injuries. And the replay showed it didnā€™t seem to be a bad sprain by any means.

4 Likes

Exhibit A= Charles Matthews playing against MSU after spraining his ankle then not playing for 2 weeks

1 Like

At least based on the replay, Matthews ankle injury appeared to be much worse than Livers injury. Ankle injuries have a wide range of severity. Iā€™ve tweaked my ankle and had a really bad ankle sprain. Tweaks I missed no time from practice or games and my bad ankle sprain I could hardly walk for more than a month. I donā€™t think what happened in Matthews case has anything to do with Livers. Every situation is unique.

5 Likes

Kahn reporting heā€™s in sweats and a boot. May be Brandon Johns time

Wow. As I said earlier, I guess Iā€™m shocked.

Iā€™m sure it has happened before but good lord. Missing games in three different stretches for three different injuries seems like the worst luck of all time.

7 Likes

I guess if it actually does matter in the committee room how different we are with and without Livers we might as well rest him and not risk putting another game with him in the loss column.

According to BQ, Liversā€™ injury is a high-ankle sprainā€¦

That ainā€™t good

I donā€™t think the fact that it is a high-ankle sprain tells you that much. Obviously high-ankle sprains can be more significant but we donā€™t really know the severity and the timeline can vary pretty significantly.

Quinnā€™s Athletic article indicates that Liversā€™ injury is a high ankle sprain. Quinn confirmed this on Twitter

I dont have any doubt someone may have told him that but if I had to guess that person misspoke. High ankle sprains are really bad, he would have not been back in that game or participated in practice if he had a true high ankle sprain.

I donā€™t know a thing about the human body, but going from ā€œallowed back into a 20 point gameā€ to ā€œactually bad enough to sit 2 weeksā€ gives me whiplash.

1 Like

Sure, but I donā€™t think someone could reasonably come back from a Grade 1 High-Ankle sprain in less than a week. Even in their lowest form it seems like it takes a little while for a High-Ankle to recover. Just a more finicky ligamentā€¦ Iā€™m thinking @goblue8 is right and BQā€™s source misspoke or is just wrong.