Game 18: Penn State at Michigan Open Thread

I don’t mind going for the threes from the under 8 timeout and later, but before that, especially in the first half, i would’ve liked to see it more given those numbers.

1 Like

This loss sucked and this season has been horrid after a great start but they won’t miss the dance.

Unfortunately I don’t know how you can say that with any certainty at the present. Since the Bahamas, Michigan is 2-0 versus tomato cans and 2-7 against high majors. Illinois just ran Purdue out of their own building. Hard to see Michigan winning that game now.

1 Like

Missed the game again. Sounds bad. Sucks they are in such a free fall. As others pointed out as important as livers is , there were other guys who were just playing at high levels early. Only guy that’s been better lately compared to early is Franz. Everyone else has regressed a bit.

Hopefully someone finds an answer and fast.

Also we got away with the sloppiness early because guys were nailing shots from everywhere. Now that they aren’t making them you can’t have that.

2 Likes

A team of betas.

1 Like

What gives you such confidence in that statement? Look at the rest of their schedule… how do you see them getting to 19-12, which seems like the minimum they’d need to be on the right side of the bubble?

1 Like

A ton of 3’s tonight were marginal shot selection at best.

1 Like

First, 19-12 implies the minimum they’d need. Nope. Damn near every game sans Neb.at home is Q1 opportunities. So, given the win v the Zags, their current net, and a bold assumption they won’t completely shit the bed and bargain basement hit 9-11 w a win against perhaps, say, MSU at home or at Purdue or the like, they’ll at least make it. 18-13 w any 2 wins outside of NW or Neb. does it.

1 Like

I think any coaching takes about Juwan need to be framed with the context that A) he has one functional shot creator on the entire roster and his system is one that runs a ton of pick and rolls with that player, which is probably the best option, B) that shot creator’s primary recipient of created shots is injured, and C) this game, while obviously having a terrible result, showed that he’s willing to change at least some stuff with Castleton and Nunez getting chopped from the rotation.

8 Likes

One thing for sure imo is we need teske to be the all big ten caliber player he can be at times. When teske plays well this team plays well it seems. We need that version of John.

1 Like

Yes. Thanks for tempering the overt question marks I had re: the sideline.

1 Like

Not necessarily even disagreeing with your questions above re-strategy or directing that towards you because I think you bring up fair points. I thought that too a bunch during and after the game, but after thinking a bit more I was just like “well what is he supposed to do with this roster?” I think it’s a “N/A” for me until he has a roster that more closely resembles how teams are generally built.

I understand why his offensive system would be questioned because it’s not a thing of beauty, but there were a lot of open shots missed too.

2 Likes

It’s not so much this one loss that is bothering me. It is the undeniable trend of subpar basketball since Livers has been out. It is really hard to flip a switch and go on a winning streak in any season, but it will be even tougher in this year’s Big Ten.

1 Like

I also simply have to understand that he has an ideology (read: scheme) for players he recruits versus watch JB instills/instilled. A fan can get rushed and stupid for “right now” if he/she is just watching and not understanding. Just did not like their effort and I don’ t understand that at all

1 Like

And I guess my response to that would be that I don’t think the Iowa and Minnesota games were subpar basketball. Not great, but they were both toss ups late in the second half on the road against good teams. Michigan is 275th in Kenpom’s close game luck stat. Like I mentioned above, Michigan actually moved up on kenpom after those two games.

Today was the first truly bad game we’ve played since then. I don’t think subpar basketball is at all fair. They were performing as well as could be expected. He shortened the rotation just like we all asked, but no shots would go in

3 Likes

Yep. Shocking lack of attention to detail and focus from the team in general. This team isn’t perfectly constructed, but they just shouldn’t be as bad as they are right now.

2 Likes

See, I think that’s fair. Just struck by lack of the cliched “huatle”.

How is it a “shocking lack of attention to detail” to miss shots? They shot 5/28 on mostly open threes. Penn State had Curtis Jones, a 30% three point shooter on over 80 attempts coming into the game, making random NBA threes.

1 Like

It’s snide comments like that that are just silly. No shit, Juwan is probably not as good of a coach as Beilein. Beilein was a top 10 coach. I think Juwan has showed as well as he possibly could have thus far imo. I remember in Atlantis people were saying they love Juwan’s brand of basketball and don’t miss Beilein lol.

7 Likes