Game 18: Penn State at Michigan Open Thread

Franz has been playing well as of late.

4 Likes

We shot 7-41 outside of the paint. Ouch.

2 Likes

My case for the improvement when/if Livers comes back largely lies in the fact that Johns won’t be awkwardly running into teammates looking for the proper positioning for 30 minutes a game.

6 Likes

Regarding turnovers that’s certainly true, though JB also wanted players to keep shooting through slumps.

I appreciate the correction. Obviously not the case tonight but thanks for posting.

1 Like

Damn, and even when he sucks, he seems to give a shit.

3 Likes

How often did Michigan find the roll man out of the PnR? Maybe twice IIRC? What was Penn State doing on D that prevents that? It looked like it put Simpson in a lot of positions where a generic PG would pull up from mid range or three, but he doesn’t really have that in his repertoire.

1 Like

Yeah, I loved his passion today.

1 Like

First, about Howard, I agree. His basketball IQ can’t be called into question. It’s hard to imagine that with a little experience and the kind of talent he’s bringing in, we won’t be looking really sharp as soon as next season.
As for the hypernegativity on the thread, it’s very forbidding. It is boring, but also disappointing. I don’t post much but I read these threads all the time–I usually just watch the 20-minute versions of games on youtube and I like to get a sense of some of the details of the games as they’re in progress or right after they end, and it’s been hard to read the threads the last few games–it was very different in past seasons. I know rules are up and that should help with some of the issues, but as for the constant whining and particularly criticism of Howard, it’s very frustrating.

1 Like

That’s how I felt for much of the game, but we did have our moments. The thing that I really disagree with is looking at won-lost recently, and this game in particular, and projecting it over the rest of the season. We failed in a key area of strength the past two games (opponent 3pt shooting) by focusing on better interior defense and rebounding. Dylan warned about this when everyone was harping about the opposing centers having career games. We are trying different things to improve and some perspectives here lack any patience.

Edit: clearly Howard shortened the bench a bit, and we seemed to play through the post more. We also seemed to move the ball on the perimeter much better.

2 Likes

Frustrating for so many reasons, but we simply missed too many great looks. If we shoot
30% from 3, we can win most games (and that to me is a low bar for the looks we get). Livers should help us get to that number, even with our other flaws remaining. We need him back badly

3 Likes

100% agreed. They also made some pretty absurd shots. People are gonna say the sky is falling because some people only see that, but as I said above, while being a bad loss indeed, this isn’t a crushing, season ending defeat. There’s always a middle ground between “rainbows and unicorns” and “end of the world.” The team in its current form is not good, but you cannot ignore that the current form isn’t the complete form. All we can do is hope they get healthy soon.

3 Likes

This felt like a really important game on our schedule. And I still think we dug ourselves the hole with really stupid turnovers and very poor shot selection at times. Along with not remembering to defend Myreon Jones a bunch of times… wtf is that? The team’s focus seems really really inconsistent right now and I just don’t know what’s going to turn that around.

1 Like

Hypernegativity? You may well not be responding to my concerns about Juwan, but the game is the game. Huge gam eat home and the effort wasn’ t there by many who needed it. Lapses, turnovers, rushed posessions, lack of court wherewithal in situational turning points. As a U-M fan, I’m not used to it. Ain’t bashing a rookie coach or saying he CAN’T coach, but nobody was ready tonight.

2 Likes

Kenpom ranking dropped from 18 to 28 and now projected to finish 9-11 in conference. :grimacing:

1 Like

I mean, forget projections, we need to win a damn game for starters. It is frustrating as hell that we may have been on our way to a win at Iowa before the refs took the game from us. We need to stop the bleeding and we are just bleeding out right now.

1 Like

No argument there. And 3 of our next 5 are against very hot teams. Ugh! Time to rise to the occasion.

1 Like

Including passes from Teske post-ups, Michigan has scored 80 pts on 68 post-ups entering tonight — 1.176 PPP (95th percentile).

On Teske shots, 69 pts on 52 post-ups or 1.327 PPP, i.e. very good.

5 Likes

Crazy. Thanks for the numbers. So 100% worth it, at least occasionally, considering the other options for creating offense. The guy next to me was shouting throughout the game to throw it inside when Teske got position against their non-Watkins center. I was skeptical, but looks like he was right.

And it may have led to more FTs. But, with their big lead and daring us to shoot we went for 3’s instead.

Edit: or so it seemed. I didn’t check though.

1 Like