Game 18: Penn State at Michigan Open Thread

This team’s problems go way beyond simply missing shots.

1 Like

Yes they could use a versatile upperclassmen defender that can shoot the lights out.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with you, but even if you’re right about 18-13 being enough that requires 7 more wins. Look at the schedule and find me 7 more wins, please.

1 Like

And what can Juwan do with this current roster to improve the offense when they’re already missing 15 open threes that hitting just 1/3 of would change the entire game? What’s your proposal?

1 Like

They lose a game by 9 points where they go 5/28 from 3. Held PSU to 3 OREBs. But PSU shot 11% better from 3 than their average. The entire game can be boiled down to shooting outside the paint.

2 Likes

It was like 10 comments up yet somehow these pesky details are already being forgotten again lol. I’m in agreement with the takes that the season could be going in a direction that doesn’t include the NCAA tournament if Livers doesn’t come back soon, but some of these coaching hot takes… Woof. Everyone thinks they know more than Howard, yet I haven’t seen a single potential solution from these people on how to actually improve the offense with this roster.

Big picture here is that in the Big Ten home losses are awfully rare, and our guys just racked one up. Injuries are a part of the game, and sometimes there are cold shooting nights, and we have a rookie head coach who is perhaps learning how to implement what he wants to do. But conditions aren’t ideal for other teams either – they’re fighting injuries and obstacles too. There are still plenty of avenues to a glass-half-full outlook, but it’s also awfully hard to deny that the pathways to a glass-half-empty outlook are an awful lot more inviting now than last week or last month. They simply have to do a better job holding things together until Livers comes back.

4 Likes

Everybody needs to chill with the Howard criticisms. Michigan lost tonight because they missed multiple wide open looks from the outside with guys who have been making shots for most of the year. Not many teams are going to survive a 5/28 night from 3 against a good team.

3 Likes

This is a fair, even, and valid take. Props.

Anyone criticizing Juwan after tonight’s game is… off base. From everything I have seen this season, I am very confident he can coach.

2 Likes
  1. At Neb.
  2. OSU
  3. At NW
  4. Indiana
  5. Wisconsin
  6. Nebraska
    And, if they can’t win any of the following of neutral or away at Rutgers, home v MSU, at Purdue, or at OSU, well, then, you win this discussion hands down and I’ll be drunk in Indy watching them as an 11th seed beating the 14th and then the 6th for a date in Dayton anyway.
1 Like

I am 100% going to be eyeing your twitter this week after all this talk about Howard’s offensive strategy.

So would you say making shots and/or roster construction are the biggest issues with Michigan’s offense?

1 Like

I mean, if you think a 19-14 record is getting them in the dance in any form (First Four or not) I don’t know what to tell you. How many Power Five teams that finished 19-14 have ever gotten in? Our NC strength of schedule isn’t THAT good… it’s in the 50s right now.

Florida was a 10 seed last year at 19-15…

Oklahoma State 9 seed at 19-13, Baylor 9 seed at 19-13, OSU 11 seed at 19-14. This is all just last year. Seems pretty common

4 Likes

Lad, I answered your question and have no need to justify jack and/or shit to you now. They won’t make the tourney. The season is hopeless and worthless and they all suck. I’ll still root for them

1 Like

I don’t think there’s much talk of offensive strategy deficits. Problems lie in execution…and coaches also shoulder some level of blame for execution as they are responsible for development and focus… and there’s just ton of sloppy stuff happening in these games. Xavier’s frequent mindless turnovers, Eli and Dave falling asleep guarding off-ball screens, and however the hell Teske let this get ripped from him today:

I would also reject the fact that we can just wave away poor 3 point shooting as a fluke. MAYBE it is and for the rest of the year we’ll be on fire. But we’re also only shooting 27% from 3 in conference through 7 games (we’re over a third of the way through conference season!!). That performance today is not anomalous and we know for a fact that this team has a bunch of shooting talent on it. You coach shooting as well, there’s a reason that Beilein players would consistently improve at it. And all of a sudden this squad full of tons of guys you should reasonably expect to be 35%+ shooters can’t throw anything in.

I don’t think anyone thought this team might miss the tournament which is what we’re staring at right now.

Who on this squad did you expect to be a 35% shooter? Johns? Eli? Simpson? Teske?

1 Like

Livers
Franz
Dave
Johns
Nunez
Cole

And then 30-34 range for X, Teske and Brooks

If people were making that suggestion under the pretense of knowing Livers would miss an important part of the schedule, then yeah missing the tournament was a likely outcome.

You want Juwan to teach shooting as well as Beilein? Is anyone capable of that? It’s way too early to make any kind of judgment on Juwan here. He got here less than a year ago. And this team is full of guys that should be reasonably expected to shoot over 35%? Like who? Livers and Wagner are the only ones that I would have put in that category going into the season

4 Likes

The team is shooting 34.8% from 3 on the season with their 50% shooter missing a third of the games. Seems pretty in line with reasonable expectations. Maybe a little more inconsistent game to game than you’d like.

3 Likes