Game 18: Penn State at Michigan Open Thread

That’s the funniest thing about this. We rose from 19th on kenpom before the Minnesota game to 18th after the Iowa game. This has been the first truly bad game and the world is literally ending

5 Likes

You can find mistakes in every game, but this one was very winnable if we just shoot a normal percentage. Unfortunately that’s become hard for us lately.

1 Like

Is it wrong for me to simply hope that Howard has a scheme and philosophy in his mind and it will translate next tear? Because as of right now, I’m a little concerned about how he’s leading the team right now. Losing on effort plays, by this layperson’s eyes.

Yeah, I tried to say this above. I might have questions about some of Juwan’s sub patterns, but–like the rest of you–nothing like his expertise. But when you’ve missed enough open shots to win your last 4-5 each by double figures, you shrug and say this team, at the moment, lacks the shooters to win these games. Write them off if you like–be my guest and write Juwan off. (Heck, people wrote Beilein off for years, then cried when he left.) But if you’re going to do that–please–really do stop coming here and carping. Because anonymous guys on boards finding 300 ways to say this team sucks. . . is boring. It’s negativity without insight. And for a long time this place was a real pleasure–I already see that some of the smarter people are staying away.

2 Likes

Livers is definitely not going to be a fix all with the direction this team is heading

1 Like

Did he have a real chance at the ball where they tipped it ahead for a 2 on none?

Because that was really bad. Not sure if he didn’t commit enough or if he really shouldn’t have committed at all. He was high risk low reward all night tonight.

No. But I find it encouraging that the lineups were 1000% better this game. IMO hard to have a unique scheme that works when Simpson is the only guy who can do anything to create shots. I don’t know what you can do aside from heavy pick and rolls with him, which is what they do.

3 Likes

He sure can recruit.

1 Like

Valid. I didn’t have to text “NUNEZ?” until just now.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I was really disappointed with our effort at times and with our mental focus a lot of the time. I thought we played pretty terribly for huge stretches of this game.

Johns had an outstanding game off the bench against Oregon. Since he was forced into the starting lineup, that energy and aggressiveness we saw against the Ducks just hasn’t been there.

So many open looks missed from distance lately by everyone on the floor.

For the most part, defense and rebounding have been very disappointing this season as well. Defense carried last year’s team through some woeful offensive performances.

1 Like

Crazy how much his offensive rebound rate has tanked since those outbursts early on. I think he’s a prime example of how a Livers return very much impacts the other players.

1 Like

I just have a hard time understanding how Teske could not have been a bigger force in the paint. He has to be able command the double in the post at this point. He is a 7-1 Senior who started the season with a lot of success in the paint.

It’s becoming a mental thing now. Am I going to make a mistake? Am I going to miss another open shot?

1 Like

Question for @umhoops or someone who subscribes to these kind of sites, but what is Teske’s offensive efficiency on post ups? What about the team in general? Do you guys think those shots are worth it just because of how much the team struggles to create offense elsewhere?

Odd, since Juwan seems to allow more “forgiveness” for that sort of thing than JB ever did.

I have not looked but wondering how Johns Jr and Franz compare since Johns Jr was inserted into the starting line up? Because just based on my memory Franz has really struggled to have any level of consistency night in an night in and night out. We simply have to have more from him as a starter.

Losing basketball is contagious

1 Like

Hard to argue that.

1 Like

Franz has played very well since Livers got hurt. This is by far his worst game since then.

4 Likes