Four-star wing Jalen Wilson reopens recruitment

Because the head coach left?

6 Likes

Circumstances have completely changed with the coach gone and Michigan isnā€™t going to take the major PR hit by refusing to grant his release.

2 Likes

Abhorrent? Coaches move all the time. His LOI didnā€™t guarantee that he would play for Beilein his whole career.

1 Like

Yep. Abhorrent.

3 Likes

We donā€™t own the kids.

6 Likes

I must have missed the clause in his LOI that lets him do that.

And just imagine if he had gotten injured after he graduated, and Michigan said ā€œsorry, youā€™re not the player we thought we were getting, so weā€™re going to reopen competition for your scholarship slotā€?

1 Like

Thatā€™s the schoolā€™s choice, not his.

Do you know how bad that looks from a PR standpoint? Itā€™s reprehensible. Why would any recruit want to come here if they know Michigan will trap them if something happens with the coach/system/program that they signed up for?

Wilson signed up for Beilein and everything that comes with it. He has relationships with THAT staff. He wanted to play in THAT system. The new coach will likely have a completely different system and he needs to look out for what is best for him and his future. Hopefully someone new is hired before he commits somewhere else so that the new coach can re-recruit him, but I donā€™t blame him one bit for asking for a release.

4 Likes

They donā€™t own their scholarships, either.

Wilson does not get to keep his scholarship from Michigan. We donā€™t get to force a teenager to do something he does not want to do. I guess it all works out in the end.

4 Likes

Itā€™s arrogant and presumptuous for him to sign a LOI and THEN publicly declare that heā€™s decided to reopen his recruitment. The appropriate thing for someone who takes their promises seriously would have been to ASK the university to release him from his letter. Donā€™t you agree?

Thatā€™s exactly what he did.

13 Likes

This search has truly brought out the worst of the board lol

5 Likes

He did ask and the university granted his release.

2 Likes

I agree. Hopefully Itā€™ll calm back down once a coach is hired. People are on edge right now. Could cut the tension with a knife and this is on a online message board lol.

4 Likes

Judging an 18 year old for looking at his options when his previous situation is now uncertain is quite the look.

1 Like

He did ask. The University will grant it.

1 Like

Agreed, but not just because itā€™s a bad look. It would be wrong to do that to him.

Iā€™d be ashamed of the program if they didnā€™t let him out honestly.

4 Likes

I did not see where he was granted his release?

1 Like