Four-star wing Jalen Wilson reopens recruitment

He generated the #3 defense (which was #69 the previous year under another supposed defensive guru Donlon) out of a team that started Duncan Robinson and Moritz Wagner. Starting two BAD defenders at your two post spots is a tough situation. That along with pulling in Castleton, Wilson and getting us in position with various 2020s.

2 Likes

I like him, but it is easy to hide players on the college level and help them with ā€œteam defense.ā€ Since the game isnā€™t as spread out as the NBA, it is harder to isolate on those bad defenders. He could be the best defensive coach in the country. But I just donā€™t know that until I see him coach a team without an elite defensive PG, an NBA caliber lock down wing defender and a great defensive center. I also donā€™t know that he didnā€™t show up at just the right time when those guys came into the lineup. Maybe Donlon puts together a great defense with those 3. Yak was hired just as Simpson became a starter and Matthews became eligible.

2 Likes

I agree if we arenā€™t able to get Donovan or Beard then bring on Juan Howard. I think he is very knowledgeable of the game and would surprise many.

1 Like

This is wild optimismā€¦which Iā€™m going to cling to because the alternatives are too depressingā€¦

Who says we canā€™t get both of them with our new coach??

1 Like

If I remember correctly. Simpson, Matthews, Iggy, DeJulius and a couple more which I donā€™t remember congratulated him on their stories.

To be fair itā€™s also the year arguably two of the greatest defenders in program history emerged: Matthews and Simpson.

Iā€™d take Gary Grant over X.

3 Likes

Forgot to compliment you on the avatar change. Made me laugh out loud. Kudos.

2 Likes

Thanks! Hopefully itā€™s temporary!

4 Likes

Michigan will be okay. Beilein was never going to last forever. Nothing ever does (except Krzyzewski because heā€™s actually a cyborg with hair product). Weā€™ve enjoyed a great run as hoops fans considering U-M is (unfortunately?) a football school. That said, Munch nailed the overall timbre since JB bailed, but the avatar wonā€™t need to last. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nope if you name an interim coach , Wilson and Bajema are both gone and probably a few guys on the roster are entering the portal. Then youā€™ll have an interim coach recruiting for over half of your scholarship players in 2020 as there would be at minimum 7 spots all with his hand tied behind his back, then youā€™ll have a coaching next year. You would basically tank your program for at least 3 years, it would be a complete disaster

3 Likes

Yeah. No Wilson, no Bajema. Assuming recruits next year drop as well, and we lose Simpson and Teske and Livers to the draft, thatā€™s like 9 or 10 spots to fill through recruiting, and we know 100% that weā€™re not recruiting that many capable guys with an interim coach.

1 Like

We are going to be Grad Transfer U in 2020.

1 Like

Entirely dependent on the coaching hire, IMHO.

If so the 20-21 season will be a disaster

Thatā€™ll depend on DDJ, Nunez, Johns, and Castleton. On paper itā€™s a good group but they gotta show it.

Those kids have to stay, as well; itā€™s not an assumption, but I agree with your sentiment.

Agreed 100%. An interim coach is great for short-term feel-goodiness, but it will screw up the program in the long run.

1 Like

Apparently even ā€œcommitmentsā€ arenā€™t commitments any more. How the F does he just get to ā€œreopenā€ his recruitment when heā€™s signed a LOI?

ā€¦because the University allows him to? That would be an abhorrent move to block that considering the circumstances.

9 Likes