2020 - Guard - RJ Hampton (Target)

Not sure if he actually has interest in playing at Michigan but at least wants to come up for a football game. Hopes aren’t high as he didn’t mention anything about our basketball program but being around doesn’t hurt

2020 Recruiting Notes

R.J. Hampton is beginning to slide fully into the lead guard position of his class. And while his team went down in defeat, it was encouraging to see the five-star guard put his body on the line for his team, even though the outcome of his game was decided. A tremendous play-maker - especially around the basket - Hampton, who has been known in the past as a scorer first, was more about creating for others. To see someone of his stature play so hard - and on each and every possession - shows just how good he wants to become.

Speaking of which, the belief that he is one of the best was reflected by the coaches on hand for him on Wednesday. Head coaches from Texas, Oklahoma State, Kansas and UCLA took in his evening contest, as did assistants from Kentucky and Duke, as Hampton remains one of the best in the high school ranks. A possibility to reclassify into the 2019 class remains on the table but, either way, Hampton is an obvious talent.

Totally sold on RJ as a prospect. Jalen, work your magic please.

Little Hampton blurb

“I’ve seen Texas and Kansas at every game,” said Hampton. “Memphis, Duke, Kentucky, TCU is always there, SMU and Michigan has been at like every game too.”

When he gets back home, Hampton says that he’ll be looking to schedule visits. He’s looking to get to Michigan in August, said he will hit Texas for a football game, is looking at Kentucky for Big Blue Madness and said he’d also like to get to Duke and Kansas for games this season.

Hampton has interesting tid-bits about Michigan in here. Doesnt sound like we are putting on the full-court press but I never got the impression that we were “in-your-face” recruiters either

He name dropped Michigan for a reason. I ain’t really holding out hope for us with him either, but I’d put our chances slightly higher than landing Cole Anthony. Hopefully Michigan offers him and puts the full court press on him if Michigan can wrap up 2019 before he visits this fall if it still happens.

Looks like might be the same quotes in that article from out in Vegas as the Rivals article above. Wants to visit Michigan in August.

Guessing that we get an official reclassification to '19 on Friday

2019 Recruiting Notes

Highlights from a fall league matchup between Wilson and Hampton’s high school teams in the last day or so. Hampton looks like a pro.

Also, it’s clear who the better prospect is, but just note that Wilson is on a much better high school team. DeVion Harmon, an Oklahoma commit, was the point guard going off on Wilson’s team. Several other players on that team have D1 offers. Hampton’s team is much weaker so he has to do a lot more. Wilson still looked pretty good to me in the film. Real solid jump shooter with size. Statistically he won’t likely put up eye opening numbers because he doesn’t have to. The team is stacked. But he does provide size and shooting, and Michigan sorely needs the latter next season.

Hampton is a severe long-shot right?

RJ staying 2020 definitely keeps us involved. I think our chances are much better than “severe”, but most believe other school are currently ahead of us.

I’d consider it a long shot personally. Lance Ware, Jalen Terry, Zeb Jackson and Ben Carlson off the top of my head seem like more realistic targets that maybe Michigan is putting more effort into.