College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Yeah, I’m just guessing that a 20 year old backup big on a non-Euroleague level Adriatic League team is probably best used as depth

I’m not sure how excited I’m going to get about a 20 year old scoring 12 ppg at the U20 Euros

It looks like he is the 15th ranked Euro born in 2003, but that it wasn’t that great a year (the top 15 in to 2006 group all get four stars, only 7 from 2003 did) and that he was on NBA radars have U16 world championships but has seen his star dim

:croatia: :exclamation: Croat detected :exclamation: :croatia:

:star: elite :star: :basketball: baller status :basketball: confirmed :heavy_check_mark:

2 Likes

i’ll double-check with tony but i believe that’s usually a one-bid league

5 Likes

That and “stinky.” Although we might as well add the latter to our emoji options.

4 Likes

it’s very useful!

…but I’ll know I’ve truly won if we catch Dylan or BQ dropping it on the pod

we only add a stinky emoji if we also add the cromulent emoji

3 Likes

Wow…that’s a large fellow. His path to the league is going to be through showing his ability to defend in space and I’m a little skeptical that 285 is the way to do that. Embiid and Drummand are the heaviest players in the league and listed at 280. I don’t know that this is a good thing - he’s not Shaq.

2 Likes

I’ve said in the NBA draft thread that I’m skeptical of his ability to defend in space in the next level. I just don’t see that he’ll be decent like some people think he is. I’m confused by the lottery pick draft projection. I see him more of a 2nd rounder than a 1st rounder.

2 Likes

There are plenty of very good defensive centers who play drop coverage

3 Likes

I don’t think he’s going to be elite as a defender and I don’t think he has to be. His primary skill is offense. But he has to be able to hold his own in the league on defense - which is the primary reason Hunter will never play in the NBA more than a cup of coffee. Clingan has shown he’s more agile thus far…but I don’t see how being 285 pounds helps him.

well I guess we’ll see. he moved really well for his size, so it’s not impossible that he has the same movement skills

and yeah I’ll remain the Clingan stan here

2 Likes

I mean Brook Lopez isn’t a ballerina

2 Likes

i would guess Clingan is both significantly larger and more athletic than Hunter to the point where it’s not a particularly useful comparison. Hunter’s standing reach is right at 9 feet, which isn’t very impressive for an NBA 5 to begin with but certainly isn’t if other athletic traits get in the way of making use of it. Clingan i’ll guess has at least 2 inches on Hunter in that regard and is also in every other way more athletic.

1 Like

Wasn’t Clingan really good defensive last year? Like best block rate in the country good?

I don’t think he’s an offense-first player.

5 Likes

I think that’s it - many seem to think you need your center to switch, but there’s like 5-6 guys who are actually good at that.

Hunter isn’t an NBA player because he’s not agile enough to play drop, not because he can’t switch (which he also can’t do)

5 Likes

I get it but I just don’t think he’s mobile enough to be an effective defender regardless of the scheme.

2 Likes

He didn’t qualify with enough minutes for things like kenpom national rankings and was behind Liam Robbins for what it’s worth. It is still an elite block rate. He did, on small sample, have an even better block rate in conference/ tier A games than on the whole. But overall more like “there should be a debate on whether Derek Lively or Clingan was the better shot blocking freshman last year” instead of “even though this guy is a traditional center, his generational shot blocking should be worth a mid first round pick”. Walker Kesslers block rate was on another level compared to anyone this year.

Kansas winning it all

1 Like