College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Feels like all this conference bullstuff is really bad for hoops

Bad for everyone.

I think Jokic, even though he’s gotten in better shape, is still above 280.

#BodyByVlade

1 Like

I’m probably wrong, but I’m not sure I get the motivation to re-class to a school starting KJ Adams and Kevin McCullar at your potential spots.

2 Likes

He was originally 2023, I believe. Sort of a re-class up because no one wanted him, re-class back because they do.

As far as why Kansas… I feel like that’s pretty clear at this point.

2 Likes

The conference realignment makes zero sense period. People will say FOOTBALL but it doesn’t even make sense for that. All the TV money has to go somewhere, but I do wonder what the future holds as the streaming chaos evolves, ESPN lays off everyone you’ve ever heard of, and Fox wakes up to realize they’re paying Rutgers $60M a year and no one is watching them play except against Michigan, OSU, and USC. I don’t even see how this makes sense for football scheduling, playoffs, logistics, competitive balance, etc. But short-sighted thinking when faced with someone throwing money at you is hard to ignore. I just can’t see the value of teams like Oregon, Washington, etc. Notre Dame, Clemson…okay. That’s it.

1 Like

CFB is the one sport that pro/rel makes a ton of sense. but would never happen

2 Likes

Kansas does a great job of getting highly touted guys to sit behind other talented guys and still maintain great team chemistry.

Eg.
Jalen Wilson
Big Doke
David McCormack
Svi
Nadir Tharpe
Travis Releford
Kevin Young

Feels like Kansas is going to be what Alabama was for football for a long time before Georgia took over. In a tier by themselves.

Kansas roster is flawed imo that Hunter and Adams front court seems perfect for Hunter to whine and moan about floor spacing

2 Likes

In this day and age, live sports programming is super valuable. It’s one of the only remaining things where you still have a large captive audience for commercials, since most people want to watch the game as it happens. Networks might be losing money on other things but CFB most likely is not one of them.

I don’t really know why it’s necessary for schools to be Big Ten members in every sport though. Why do we need USC and UCLA to be conference members for things like golf, cross country and whatnot? Membership for football only would work out pretty well for them. For the other sports it’s going to be a mess.

3 Likes

I think it would be good for the NBA

Promotion/relegation can’t happen for a million reason in any American sport many of which are cynically tied to finances and franchise value

But one people also miss is that, like, England and Spain have dozens and dozens of professional clubs that have existed for well over 100 years, ie, the volume of teams necessary for such a thing was in place

G League teams are owned by their parents, and minor league hockey and baseball teams may be “independent” but also don’t individually contract any players

College football seems pretty obvious because there are 120+ teams and only like 40 are actually capable of competing (arguably only like 5 are at a time)

4 Likes

Yeah, it would never happen but the one sport that might be possible is college football. It is also an interesting way to manage rampant conference expansion - which is currently happening unchecked without any sort of strategy in place. Imagine a 20 team B10 with two tiers also merged with the MAC to create three full tiers of teams that can promote/relegate. But it will never happen

2 Likes

Yeah that’s all why I think CFB is at least could theoretically happen cause it has the raw numbers of teams with built in fanbases that don’t exist in other sports. The only way to do Pro/rel in a pro league in the US would be to add 10 teams, to have 20 teams up and 20 down. but for all the reasons stated, that’s not gonna happen.

This doesn’t make any sense to me. College football is exactly the sport it would never make any sense. The entire sport is being managed by the financials. That’s the opposite of pro/rel.

1 Like

Well it’s relative to pro sports where it has less than 0% chance. All US sports are managed by financials. I mean English football probably is too, but it’s an older country playing an older sport. had pro/rel not existed 100 years ago they wouldn’t be implementing it now

CFB isn’t dependent on franchise value for owners so it has a path that the others don’t. and it has a number of tag along programs that are just kind of enjoying the ride (NW, Purdue, Vandy, Miss State) that the big schools may want to find a palatable way to be rid of them.

AC ended his post saying “it would never happen” so I think anyone acknowledging it as something that could work is also acknowledging it would never happen

It just feels backward from the very real forces that we are seeing re-shape the sport.

No one is risking their financial standing or helping lesser schools out of the goodness of their hearts.

Much more likely that we end up with the “Super League” in CFB, which was all about tearing down pro/rel in soccer.

1 Like

What is the point of all of this money anyway? So Michigan can have even bigger video boards? So Sparty can have a Tom Izzo strip club locker room? College boards and presidents should have gotten control of this long ago, but I’m afraid the barn door has opened.

1 Like

cause the Super League and pro/rel could exist together theoretically. They could make the Super League but make it a 2 tiered system. If they had any kind of forward thinking they would be looking at that as something that can make them money

Not saying Coastal Carolina would be involved or anything.