College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

The non-B1G thread.

@buckets12 was it at all controversial putting Starling this high? Notre Dame returns, I believe, 7 of their top 8 minutes from last year. Is this a Marvin Williams 2005 situation where the freshman super sub puts a bunch of good seniors over the top?

Borzello has ND losing Wesley, Atkinson, and Hubb. Are the latter two returning, i.e. taking the extra year?

1 Like

ugh I trusted Bartholomew again

4 Likes

There was a bit of push back on Starling at first but it was much more “why do you have Kohler and Skyy so high you Big Ten homer” than it was others vs. Starling. I think my original pitch was the same top 9 with Kohler at 10 and Skyy at like 12.

And just for the record my pitch with Kohler and Skyy being so high was essentially “them being really good or really bad will 100% decide their team’s seasons”. When discussing impact I wholeheartedly believe they’re forced into being top 10 impact guys one way or another. Almost all the other guys 6-15 are just good NBA prospects who might not be asked to do much IMO.

1 Like

from @kturnup in the B1G thread this stood out to me. Kentucky has serious Mich 21-22 letdown potential IMO. Four starters who can’t shoot, two freshmen, an uptransfer with hella stankonius defense, and the whole blurb is about the sixth man? CJ Fredrick with his tattered hamstrings is the answer to all your spacing questions?

I like your assessment in general but think that Livingston is going to be more of a ‘guy’ for Kentucky that can seriously shoulder the load on offense than any of our freshman did last year. That will elevate their ceiling a bit

1 Like

that’s fair

1 Like

I feel like Tschibwe gives you a nice floor though. Similar to Dickinson post UNC, except even higher cause he just physically dominates on both ends in a way that Hunter does not.

3 Likes

yeah but as we saw the floor is making the tournament, not a 1-seed. plus the SEC looks better than ever

Michigan was a top 25 team prob, so UKs floor is prob top 20. I agree I don’t see them being a particularly enticing title contender unless Reeves is legit

Worst part of that roster is Sahvir Wheeler.

5 Likes

yeah he stinks. he is a pretty glaring problem for them. even if I’m wrong about their floor I think he keeps them from being a title contender

shame about Skyy Clark. I would be fine with a 1-seed Kentucky if it hurt Illinois

3 Likes

How are Wallace and Livingston as shooters? Reeves can basically replace Grady’s shooting. Need some people to replace 200+ 3PA from mintz and TyTy

Wallace and Livingston are both super physical dawgs but neither one is a plus shooter

I would like to think the overall talent level at Kentucky won’t be a complete bottoming out. But…Cal has been prone to having disasters every so often. And if that happens on the heels of how they went out last year…

CJ Fredrick szn.

1 Like

Free two-time transfer rule*

3 Likes

Live look at the NCAA “rule book”:

7 Likes

To be fair, probably good news for Michigan because Baker would need a waiver as well, right?

Why would Joey Baker need a waiver?

1 Like