Big Ten Tournament Discussion Thread

Northwestern beat us on February 6 and hasn’t won again since and we haven’t lost.

If they cost us a seed line in the tournament…

Isn’t the bubble soft this year? I’ve only seen so much non-Big Ten ball this year, but PSU really looks like a tournament team to my eye. If some teams start losing, couldn’t even the OSU win get them in?

@Champions, I really didn’t like that “now we’re Michigan of 2016-17” after they beat us. Um, no.

@ReegsShannon off to go research the bubble. I thought I heard on BTN it wasn’t that strong as they discussed how finishing a week early allowed for other teams to drop if they lose more games in conference. My recollection may be imperfect, though.

From everything I’ve heard this is a very strong bubble (and teams like Nebraska would have made it last year).

1 Like

I honestly believe that if Nebraska and Penn State were “Indiana” and “Wisconsin” they would be safely in the tournament no questions asked and the Big Ten in general wouldn’t be viewed so negatively

1 Like

I could buy that, for PSU. But Nebraska’s statistical profile really is so terrible, even if it’s not entirely their fault.

Michigan is 5-5, once PSU got bumped up

1 Like

Re: soft bubble. I feel like that’s a yearly fallacy. I think the bubble is the same every single year. It’s just what you are looking at in terms of the stats that make up the bubble teams. Maybe there are certain statistical differences between the group of bubble teams year to year but I bet there are strengths among the bubble teams each year that weren’t there the year before.

2 Likes

Gotta love the energy Rutgers is playing with. They still run zero offense but if they could have channeled this effort level over the course of the whole year, they would have been an ok team.

1 Like

That thing in the middle of the floor is supposed to rep the B1G, right? Looks like a design class at Washtenaw CC drew it up. So busy, so lacking in coherence.

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled programming. . .

4 Likes

Typo; I think they meant lose to Michigan

7 Likes

Each pinwheel blade (or whatever) is a color of a B1G school.

Crazy how many red schools we have now.

2 Likes

What quadrant is Rutgers in and does a neutral court win over a Purdue move them up?

1 Like

They, uh, need a bit of help:

https://crashingthedance.com/teams/RUT

They kinda got screwed by having the toughest Big Ten schedule.

Just checked. They’re around 205 right now and that’s a Quad 4 home win. Win here gets them to 185 per rpiwizard. Quad 3 at home is top 160.

2 Likes

Wow, no kidding - they had double-plays with Purdue, MSU, OSU, and Nebraska and their single-plays with us and PSU were on the road.

3 Likes

I’ll be interested to see if the committee really differentiates between quad 3 and 4 wins.

Rutgers! Putting up a battle with Purdue…

I would guess no