Big Ten Basketball 2020-21 Discussion (Part 1)

So if the Purdue game is postponed why don’t they move the MSU game up a couple hours? These 9 pm games are terrible enough as is but even worse when there is no game preceding it.

I’d bet that if you really took a magnifying glass to games you’d find a million missed and messed up calls. But I’m not sure more rested refs would catch them. More refs might. But with soccer and football, too, I sometimes wonder whether if everything were called those sports would have no flow at all.

No more than conjecture, but. . .

1 Like

Rutgers injury report perhaps?

I was afraid this may be on the horizon. Thanks Dylan for the update.

It’s the travel that hurts the product. 26, or even more, games over 39 days results in a great groove and produces the best officiating. But, when it’s combined with long drives, flights, and different hotel rooms every night, the formula changes. I think the theory this season was to try and limit travel time, but I’m not sure it’s played out that way given the games we see the same guys work on consecutive days.

I’ve always thought that the best product would result from a more regional approach, where a Carstensen, who lives somewhere in the middle of NY state, would do not only high D1 games in the area, but lower D1 and maybe even a few D2 games and sleep at home a lot more often. But, officiating just doesn’t work that way. The big guys do the big games and make the big bucks, while the little guys do the little games and make the little bucks.

6 Likes
7 Likes

I could be remembering wrong but I thought there were higher ups who actually do go through the games and give feedback on which calls are right/wrong

It will be really impressive if we are still the upper right quadrant outlier when we have more than a couple of games included in the data. Unless I am misreading, it looks like there are only two games charted for Michigan.

1 Like

while it does appear to only be 2 games charted, it seems unlikely to change much with more games. The quality of the shooters isn’t going to change and the shots we take (3s and at the rim, minimizing long 2s) has seemed fairly consistent all season long.

Good shooters taking high quality shots is a good combination.

Our relative problem on offense is what John Gasaway calls Shot Volume Index. We don’t get enough offensive rebounds to make up for too many turnovers so we take fewer shots overall than what the best teams usually get. The shots we take are great, just not quite getting enough of them. Can rectify that by both cutting down on turnovers a little as well as grabbing a few more offensive rebounds.

3 Likes

I can do a post on this week but I have a more complete data set and Michigan would still be in that spot if you plotted it. It’s really a product of creating so many shots at the rim (hence the really high 2-point numbers).

The shot chart in #2 in this story is talking about the same thing.

The Expected Pts/Shot is essentially the Y-axis in that graph (just with my data) and the pts above expected is the X-axis. (I personally would flip those if I made the graph :rofl:)

3 Likes

Yeah, there definitely is. Rick Boyages is in charge of that program I believe.

God I really want Rutgers to win tonight. I almost have the Michigan game pregame jitters.

3 Likes

Myles Johnson all of a sudden believes he’s a good offensive option and wastes Rutgers first two possessions

1 Like

Yeesh, ugly start to this game. Turnovers galore.

So many self-enforced errors by Rutgers in that stretch

Those Myles Johnson possessions were awful. MSU was not playing well but Rutgers played so bad that MSU was forced to jump out in front

2 Likes

Henry just makes back-to-back nice plays and Izzo immediately gets in his face at the timeout. Ew.

1 Like

“We’ve replaced 2020-21 Rutgers with 2015-16 Rutgers, let’s see who notices.”

8 Likes

Watts in at PG now? After Hoggard/Loyer got shifts.

2 Likes