2022 NBA Draft Discussion

1 Like

The consensus around here is Hunter still leaves in all likelihood even if he’s getting back half of the second round type grades, right? Not that that’s wrong, but you’d still like to see your name show up on some of these lists. (I know, I know–it’s very early, and Hunter isn’t gonna move up before putting up big numbers and showing a somewhat diversified skillset!)

2 Likes

I would say that’s correct based on the situation right now.

4 Likes

Maybe he’s going to title his 2022-23 return “One last last ride…” :joy:

7 Likes

DeVante Jones’ presence kind of surprises me, as it almost necessarily assumes that the shooting improvement he showed last year is legit, and that he’s going to be able to play point guard (I’m assuming the NBA wouldn’t draft a 6’1” 2 guard even in the 60s), which he hasn’t to date. The shooting may be real - he showed it last year, and he’s always been a good foul shooter. The point guard part seems highly speculative.

I’m not saying he can’t get there, but it sort of assumes some stuff he hasn’t yet flashed.

Givony has had him ranked in a similar place throughout the summer FWIW.

1 Like

I’d go so far to say as there’s basically a 0.0% chance he gets drafted

3 Likes

See above, but also…only Givony has him that high, as far as I’ve seen.

Certainly hope he’s right, for DeVante’s sake and ours.

Tim McCormick said on recent Michigan Insider podcast that he sees multiple remaining years for Hunter, who he compares to Garza as having a great college game but not fitting what is draftable and valued in NBA. Tim said this on basis of chats w NBA types at Top 100 Camp and Summer League. Did not suggest he had any conversation w Hunter.

1 Like

I wonder if Garza has a surprisingly effective rookie year if that narrative changes… acknowledging that Garza and Dickinson have different games

1 Like

Thanks, I hadn’t heard or read that. And to the above, if Hunter is shooting above 40 percent from three on decent volume like Garza then he’s definitely a draftable prospect. Maybe even a late first rounder?

2 Likes

Yeah it doesn’t really matter what others think he should do though. Hunter is going to march to the beat of his own drum. He was halfway out the door this year. I’ll be shocked if he sticks around after next year, regardless of his draft stock.

4 Likes

AS86 – I think Sam Webb very much agrees with you and would be extremely surprised if H came back, but I was surprised at how directly McCormick made his points (while remaining respectful of Dickinson).

1 Like

Oh I know. I think McCormick definitely was letting his own opinion about Hunter’s pro prospects cloud his judgment about what is likely to actually happen. Most kids are looking to get paid ASAP nowadays and Hunter definitely falls in that category.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I think before that podcast I would have guessed Hunter at Mich next year is like 1/4 probability. Afterwards, I maybe ratchet the odds to, say, 1/3? Definitely not above 1/2.

3rd year, defending All American & Big POY does seem bankable in a way that we haven’t seen so far. Maybe at nearly the Thibideaux level? And that seems better to me than a season in Sioux Falls.

1 Like

What would allow me personally to entertain the idea that this might not be HD’s last year is NIL. It’s still wishful thinking and unlikely, but maybe he just rakes it in this year. Let’s all go buy his t-shirts and promise to buy 3 more next year.

2 Likes

Yeah, though that would be a weird sequence of events. Hunter dominates and becomes a star, rakes in some NIL cash, the NBA still isn’t interested, and he comes back again. I think of he does dominate that the NBA will take a look.

Garza was the most dominant offensive big in years but a horrific defender and not even a true 7+ footer and got drafted plus a two-way. I think you’re going to see Hunter and Kofi try to show they can be dominant on both ends of the floor and work their way into a late first round pick or one of those Iggy/Livers-like second round picks who gets a guaranteed deal.

Agree. Honestly even as an M fan, I’m not sure I could pull for the idea of Hunter being incredible and Undraftable. 99 percent I want what’s best for H.

But if it happened (Not likely) and I had nothing to do with it (very likely) … well, unfortunate, but I could probably live with it. Especially if “we” get another Final 4! (Kinda hard to be a college fan.)

2 Likes

Speaking of, Hunter tweeted about needing tickets to the LLWS. Ended up getting some and is there rooting for the Michigan team and was just interviewed by ESPN

5 Likes

I think Kofi Cockburn is a much more similar situation than Garza. Just as far as wanting to be gone (Kofi has wanted to go twice) and also the style of play.

I don’t think Garza and Dickinson are very similar.

1 Like