Isaiah Livers declares for 2020 NBA Draft

Press release seems like he’s leaning toward staying in…

1 Like

Certainly doesn’t sound like a guy who’s planning on coming back

3 Likes

Good luck, Livers! Wish we’d had one more post-season run with him, but I see an NBA player there and if he’s ready to start now then that’s how it is these days and so be it.

Probably helps explain our interest in so many grad transfers despite an implied scholarship numbers crunch.

2 Likes

the wording in this tweet is very weird, cant hire an agent and return

You can hire an agent and return (as of…last?..year, I think). The real issue is that the agent’s incentive is definitely to get you to leave, so they can get paid.

3 Likes

hmm,didnt realize that bu t yeah if hes hiring an agent thats not good news for his potential return

In the words of Hawk Harrleson: “He gone.” I get that he could come back, but that seems super unlikely at this point. Sadly we will have another great Michigan player who’s college career was far too short.

Well this probably answers one of the roster spot issues.

2 Likes

Under the new rules, everyone who tests the waters should get an agent if they are serious about going through the process. Agents will help you get workouts and get feedback from teams. If you aren’t penalized for it, why wouldn’t you do it? Just make sure you understand the agent has something to gain and assess all of the information at your disposal before making a final decision.

To be honest, the way the press release is worded doesn’t make me think he has made a decision either way. He is going to dive into the process with both feet and then assess his situation based on feedback. Also based on his own statement he could have every intention of leaving as of now, but if he gets feedback that he won’t be drafted, it may make him change his mind. We knew he would test the waters, so I don’t read into anything here.

6 Likes

Been hearing chatter since before the season that this was likely his last year regardless of what happened this season. It’d take a lot for him to come back from what I’ve heard. Some of these departures have been predetermined for awhile so I’m guessing some players making it public is all that needs to be done and things have been situated in-house for awhile.

1 Like

“NBA Bound” doesn’t scream coming back to me.

2 Likes

No doubt this would probably be the most disappointing early entree in um basketball history. Barring something pretty surprising, livers is highly likely to go undrafted. Theres been some bemoaning and questioning of other guys(dh Wilson, Darius Morris, Iggy, poole, Hardaway etc.) that have left early but they were all viewed significantly higher than livers by NBA Draft guys.

1 Like

Certainly that was the chatter, but one would think that his injuries and lack of ability to showcase in tournaments would change the thinking. I sure hope his bet on himself pays off, but it does feel like the most speculative we’ve seen in a long time.

2 Likes

I never understand this attitude - most of our early entries have gone 1st round and some 2nd round. Nowadays getting drafted at all is almost an automatic guaranteed deal (1st round all guaranteed, 2nd round picks negotiate but recently almost ALL get 1mill++ guaranteed).

Anyway, feel that Livers is a good dude and if he can impress a team or 2 in workouts he can catch on somewhere. He’s given 3 years of his all to the program and deserves to take a shot at his dream. Best of luck to him during this process.

6 Likes

If he can’t do live workouts I don’t see him breaking through. Is he even 100% yet?

1 Like

There aren’t going to be workouts.

2 Likes

Will he even have this opportunity? I sure hope so but seems unclear/uncertain right now.

What I find interesting in comparing all the guys you mentioned. Livers is the best shooter, maybe Poole is better, but without a doubt, Livers is the best defender of the group by far. I think the NBA folks just wanted to see more before pigeon holing him into a position. At his size, with a little more bulk, he can be a solid 3 in the league. At least off the bench to begin with. I always think guys his size who shoot 95% from the charity strip have surprising success in the NBA.

4 Likes

Considering he’s a junior, testing the waters is a no-brainer. He probably hasn’t made a decision yet, but I’m guessing he’ll like what he hears from NBA teams. He’s an excellent shooter with above-average defense and great size. He’s unlikely to be a lottery pick, but his floor is so high that he makes a ton of sense at the end of the first round. I see him as an NBA starter. If he does leave, I’ll be sad to see him go, as he’s one of my favorite players to put on a Michigan uniform!