Big Ten Basketball 2020-21 Discussion (Part 1)

1. Because AP poll is subjective voters, they can choose to rank however they want.
  2. Barttorvik seems to have Rutgers as a slight 2 point favorite, but bettors and Vegas must be giving benefit of doubt to MSU. If you totally believe in Barttorvik as a predictive measure, then I suppose you’re getting 3.5 points of value there.
1 Like

I’m wondering the exact same thing! I know it is pretty close to a must-win game for Sparty, but this Rutgers moneyline screams to be played hard. Has Vegas really convinced itself that AJ Hoggard is the answer because of that stupid 5 assist, 1 turnover stat over which everyone is salivating? I don’t really bet so I guess I need somebody to convince me not to take this plunge because this just seems like badly misjudged odds propped up by MSU’s (and Duke’s) brand, the AP rank (iterative of the brand), and an overvaluation of home-field advantage. Aaron Henry can’t play Nebraskatball every game to have career outings. What gives?

Plus Rutgers had the bodies to throw at Henry. Between Mathis, Harper, Johnson on the interior the going is gonna be a bit rougher for Henry.

I agree that the line doesn’t make sense and I would take Rutgers easy.

And this guy’s got money in his name!

But yeah, I tend to agree. Assuming Rutgers is still back to healthy that seems like the smart play.

I put 5 units on Rutgers -1.5 for +125. They beat Illinois, played Iowa to the wire, and mainly lost to OSU because of injuries and unlucky foul trouble.

Feels like free money with how MSU has looked. I’m sure I’ll be proven wrong though.

1 Like

I spit out my drink. Social team really proud of this fact

13 Likes

Considering MSU to be a Top 25 team is absolutely ridiculous!

3 Likes

The line is has been moving to give Rutgers more points. Seems like Vegas is banking on Izzo

Michigan twitter surely will meme some fun out of this.

1 Like

When I read this I mentally added air quotes around Top 25.

4 Likes

If Rutgers could make a free throw I’d throw all the money on them. Izzo gonna deploy the Bad Boys D and make them earn it at the line.

Do you believe officiating 26 games in 39 days is good for the product or are they really short officials this year so guys will be working a lot of games?? I can’t imagine what it might be for a ref by the end of February.

Jaden Jones has enrolled at Rutgers. Sounds like he will join the team immediately.

Thank you to my parents and little brother for their sacrifices and continuous support. I have worked hard to graduate early and am excited to announce that I am joining my brothers at Rutgers U beginning January 2021. Jersey I'm Here!! pic.twitter.com/IuE3Zf16xd

— Jaden (@JadenJonessss) January 5, 2021

Early-enrollee James Graham got into the game for Maryland last night.

Half of that is Dickinson knowing how to make himself available.

Some things that Dylan has mentioned that may give people pause on picking Rutgers beyond the “Izzo” factor are their horrible FT shooters (odd for a good 3pt shooting team), their continued injury struggles, and the potential for home court advantage even in empty arenas.

My heart wants to pick Rutgers in a blowout…my head is still not ready to back RUTGERS on the road against Izzo and MSU.

1 Like
3 Likes

Underrated storyline going into tonight’s game.

Rutgers remains winless against only two Big Ten teams: Michigan and Michigan State.

Will the list shrink tonight?

7 Likes

I’m seeing MSU -3 now on CBS Sportsline which marks a four-point swing from those that initially had MSU +1. Interesting.

that’s basically a normal work schedule for DJ Carstensen. Last year he worked 5+ games per week.

No, but it is normal for the product.

3 Likes