2015 Recruiting

Austin Grandstaff is working on a Michigan visit after speaking with John Beilein tonight

https://twitter.com/AustinGstaff1/statuses/460931957351022592

How does he compare to Mcquaid?

It’s going to be interesting how the 15 class develops, do they take a big man? If we have both Doyle and Donnal do we take a post or wait until 16? Lack of experience is going to hurt us in the front court next year but will accelerate their development and make for hopefully a very dynamic team the following year.

Scout had an article with both Grandstaff and Mquaid. MM said Michigan has certainly been recruiting him but not much mention of a visit. Seeing as though Coach B is trying to get Grandstaff to visit, I would assume AG would be thier preference of the 2.

Scout had an article with both Grandstaff and Mquaid. MM said Michigan has certainly been recruiting him but not much mention of a visit. Seeing as though Coach B is trying to get Grandstaff to visit, I would assume AG would be thier preference of the 2.

AG is the better player at this point. MM is guy who we would recruit to develop.

I was able to see both Grandstaff and McQuaid play last year in Texas playoffs. McQuaid is a 2 and AG can play both 1 & 2 and is a volume scorer. He led DFW in scoring last season. AG had 90+ points in his first 2 playoff games! Neither player is an above the rim guy, but they both have great leadership qualities. In the game I saw McQuaid play in the playoffs against a very physical team, Coppell, he came out in OT hit a 3, then stole the ball, got fouled, hit both 2 FTs, and put them up by 5 in about 30 seconds. They pulled away after that with FTs by the point guard. He comes off screens alot for his shot where Grandstaff creates his shot more and uses the pick and roll very well. They both pass the ball very well and have know each other since they were in first grade. They would be a very good backcourt together. When I talked to Grandstaff he was trying to get to AA for a visit as he knew that’s the only way he could get an offer. I haven’t seen a recruiting site say we had a shot at Grandstaff, but I got the feeling he liked Mich and Florida. McQuaid said he wouldn’t figure out the visit, if any, until after the season. Both players and their coaches had a lot of good things to say about our coaching staff. They are very well respected, even way down here in Dallas! McQuaid kinda chuckled when I asked if they were a package deal!

Dawkins and McQuaid are too similar imo.

I now think we should take 1 perimeter guy in 2015 with a big (we might only have 2 anyways). I think Brunson is leaving B1G country.

2 of Battle, Thornton Jr, Murray is better than any 2 perimeter players in 2015.

I know next year hasn’t even happened yet, but right now they have one slot open for 2015 recruits. If Huff somehow ends up blue, they won’t have any more slots available (unless I’m missing something). No seniors on the team next year, so any open slots would have to be by attrition. It will be really interesting to see how this plays out because there are obviously a lot of very good '15 recruits.

There will be scholarships in 2015. Don’t worry about that right now. There are so many possibilities (LeVert NBA, Bielfeldt 5th year, Hatch medical, any other attrition) that you know something will open up. Even if nothing does you can still sign one over in November.

Any idea why the coaching staff insists characterizing Hatch’s scholarship as athletic atm? Obviously they know more than us, but I don’t see how Hatch will be able to play at the college level, at least competitively. I know we don’t need openings right now, but if they don’t ever intend to make him medical, then we have dead weight. Probably want to evaluate him before they do anything, while at the same time try not to destroy his confidence. I could see how granting a medical scholarship could almost be viewed as pity, and I doubt Austin wants that.

In respect to LeVert, I think I may be the only one that doesn’t consider Caris to be a certainty to be gone after next year. In fact, I’d say it’s a 50/50 that he stays. He seems like the type of kid that would want to graduate and unless he’s a lottery pick, I don’t see him leaving early. Plus, this is assuming that he’d have the type of season Stauskas had this year, and that definitely should not be a foregone conclusion. He has a lot of work that he needs to put into his game before he’s able to put up the numbers Nik did. He will almost certainly be our #1 guy, but that also means he’s going to be guarded by opposing team’s best defenders and will also be the center of their attention schematically.

Any idea why the coaching staff insists characterizing Hatch's scholarship as athletic atm? Obviously they know more than us, but I don't see how Hatch will be able to play at the college level, at least competitively. I know we don't need openings right now, but if they don't ever intend to make him medical, then we have dead weight. Probably want to evaluate him before they do anything, while at the same time try not to destroy his confidence. I could see how granting a medical scholarship could almost be viewed as pity, and I doubt Austin wants that.

In respect to LeVert, I think I may be the only one that doesn’t consider Caris to be a certainty to be gone after next year. In fact, I’d say it’s a 50/50 that he stays. He seems like the type of kid that would want to graduate and unless he’s a lottery pick, I don’t see him leaving early. Plus, this is assuming that he’d have the type of season Stauskas had this year, and that definitely should not be a foregone conclusion. He has a lot of work that he needs to put into his game before he’s able to put up the numbers Nik did. He will almost certainly be our #1 guy, but that also means he’s going to be guarded by opposing team’s best defenders and will also be the center of their attention schematically.

I don’t know the rules and this is just a hunch, but I would guess it has to do with the requirements of a school/NCAA granting a medical scholarship. I would think the student would have to enroll first before technically being given the “medical” scholarship. And/or the NCAA would want a college program to deem them “medical” because I would think once they’re medical, that would mean they can’t play the sport again. Otherwise you’re not allowed to use the “medical” on them.

So this is the start of the “LeVert isn’t ready for the NBA” who is the kind of kid who would “pass up 6 figures to graduate” Yeah, ok lol.

Any idea why the coaching staff insists characterizing Hatch's scholarship as athletic atm? Obviously they know more than us, but I don't see how Hatch will be able to play at the college level, at least competitively. I know we don't need openings right now, but if they don't ever intend to make him medical, then we have dead weight. Probably want to evaluate him before they do anything, while at the same time try not to destroy his confidence. I could see how granting a medical scholarship could almost be viewed as pity, and I doubt Austin wants that.

What’s the rush to put him on a medical scholarship? Either way, there’s an athletic scholarship available to him for this year, so why throw him on a medical before he steps foot on campus? Just let it play out. I’m sure they staff isn’t worried about classifying Hatch right now so that fans can worry about the '15 scholarship breakdown.

So this is the start of the "LeVert isn't ready for the NBA" who is the kind of kid who would "pass up 6 figures to graduate" Yeah, ok lol.

I know how much you love LeVert, it’s well documented. But I was simply stating that he has a lot of work to do before he reaches the lofty projections some sites have given him for next year’s draft. We all thought GRIII was gonna be a superstar this past season, look what happened. A lot of development can occur during one offseason, but that doesn’t mean it will. I think Caris will be a first rounder, but I’m just not as certain as a lot of the people on this site are (especially you) that it will happen next year, and not after his senior year. Obviously I want LeVert to perform as well as he can and blow all of us away next season, but I think some people need to temper expectations. It was just a year ago that he was shooting 50% from the FT line. As of right now, he would not be a first rounder, so before we declare him being one next year as fact, we might as well wait and see.

As of right now, he would not be a first rounder

Ok GM/Scout/Coach

I don’t go on these discussion boards to argue, so I’m going to say one last thing and end it, but as you said, Caris wouldn’t turn down 6 figures. He submitted his name into the draft advisory. If he heard that he would be a first rounder, based on that logic, he would have declared. I don’t see how saying that Caris would not be a first rounder in this upcoming draft is not considered common knowledge, especially based on what projections from draft sites have been. People project him to be in the first rounder next year based on expected gains in his game. All I’m saying, and I don’t see how it’s too ludicrous to state, is that these expected gains aren’t a sure thing, therefor him being a first rounder next year is not a sure thing like you like to insist. We can agree to disagree, but it’s insulting that you’d rather belittle me than bring substance to the table.

Thing is we dont Know where Caris Would have landed in this Years draft. He didnt Declare. When I see Players such as Jordan Adams and Zach LaVine PROJECTED as 1st rounders, I don’t see why Caris, With an Outstanding Pre-Draft Combine/Workout, Couldnt over take them both and others in those PROJECTIONS. Nothing is set in stone. Were you one of those who felt Hardaway was foolish for leaving early? I dont think the Advisory Board can assure a Player he will be first round. They can tell them theyre projected there, but it will be up to them to prove it and make it so.

I don’t go on these discussion boards to argue, so I’m going to say one last thing and end it, but as you said, Caris wouldn’t turn down 6 figures. He submitted his name into the draft advisory. If he heard that he would be a first rounder, based on that logic, he would have declared. I don’t see how saying that Caris would not be a first rounder in this upcoming draft is not considered common knowledge, especially based on what projections from draft sites have been. People project him to be in the first rounder next year based on expected gains in his game. All I’m saying, and I don’t see how it’s too ludicrous to state, is that these expected gains aren’t a sure thing, therefor him being a first rounder next year is not a sure thing like you like to insist. We can agree to disagree, but it’s insulting that you’d rather belittle me than bring substance to the table.

So if I understand correctly… We can only accept 2 verbals for 2015 at current time? Because you can only over sign by one. We have 12 now. No seniors. One open slot. One over sign. Until something changes.

Yes, but again, that will most likely change over the course of the year. Caris, Max and Hatch could all change that.

But I think our '15 class will be smaller anyway with the leads and potential in '16