Matt McQuaid is off the board

He’s heading to SMU. Recruiting Profile.

Dang. Hopefully we land Coleman.

Kids don’t feel wanted unless you offer them a scholarship. Rightfully so. We have offers to 2. Putting all eggs with 2 kids. Hopefully don’t get burned or we will be picking up scraps again.

Not sure Michigan tried to get McQuaid up for a visit after last weekend in Sacramento. That could be telling and means he might not have been all that wanted.

Michigan has some opportunity to be selective with what will likely be a small class. McQuaid seems like a guy that they would have wanted to evaluate in July.

Kids don't feel wanted unless you offer them a scholarship. Rightfully so. We have offers to 2. Putting all eggs with 2 kids. Hopefully don't get burned or we will be picking up scraps again.

Basketball programs don’t feel wanted unless you visit them. Rightfully so.

Also, I’m guessing Michigan will make more 2015 offers than the two that are out there now. At the most basic level, there are two types of offensive players - creators and finishers. Some guys are both - Burke, Stauskas, Walton - and Michigan will likely be losing one - LeVert - after this coming season. We need to replace with someone who is both. Coleman and Brunson fit the bill. I’m excited to see who else might be interested. I’ve long been hoping that we put the full court press on P.J. Dozier.

Agree hope Dozier and Bacon are the next in line for offers along with Davis.

As things stand right now, I’m sure who they offer. I’d be surprised if they offered a 15 G before July…

Dozier would be a shoe in for an offer if he visited. I will believe a Bacon official visit when I see it. Davis… I think they’ll continue to evaluate for now. Just a guess though.

It’s also possible that U-M lands a '16 commit before a '15 commit.

I could be wrong… But can someone give me another team that only has 2 offers out? I know - we are special. I just don’t get it. Do we really not have more than 2 guys that want to visit & are worthy enough of an offer ?..

I could be wrong..... But can someone give me another team that only has 2 offers out? I know - we are special. I just don't get it. Do we really not have more than 2 guys that want to visit & are worthy enough of an offer ?.......

Michigan is different than a school that ‘offers’ dozens of prospects (like Indiana for example). On one hand, it makes it easier to gauge mutual interest. An offer from Michigan means something – it means that they are top prospects on Michigan’s board.

Other schools extend offers just to try to show interest, but there’s obviously not going to be a commitment unless things advance past that point. How many of those offers are ‘commit-able’ is up for debate.

Michigan just signed six people in 2014, so you can see why the 2015 class could be a bit smaller.

Who do you feel that U-M should offer right now that they haven’t?

That have visited? Maybe a case could be made for Davis or Turner, but with the small class, it is clear they are going to wait out Coleman as long as they can. You would have to question the no visit, no offer policy otherwise. I am neutral on that policy. I see some valid points both ways.

Eric Davis/ Trevor Manuel.
Also disappointed they haven’t been Able to get on campus Ellenson, Stone, Grandstaff, Bacon, Ahmad.

Ben - some of the guys you mention are not guys we can recruit. I’ll leave it at that. It sounds like Ahmad wants to visit, I’m not sure about our interest level. We have two potential guys to play the four in the '14 class in Chatman and Wilson, and our interest level in 2016 for guys like Seth Towns, Matthew Moyer, and Derek Funderburke seems to be pretty high, as well as five star TJ Leaf.

So, the coaches may not perceive a need in 2015 at the four position (which may also be why they didn’t offer Cole Huff).

Not sure Michigan tried to get McQuaid up for a visit after last weekend in Sacramento. That could be telling and means he might not have been all that wanted.

Michigan has some opportunity to be selective with what will likely be a small class. McQuaid seems like a guy that they would have wanted to evaluate in July.

Why will it likely be a small class? Every time someone talks about the schollarship situation we get told that the situation will work itself out and not to worry because we have space for at least 3, etc.

People also said that taking Dawkins and MAAR would not affect 2015 recruiting. So which is it?

That is why I am really interested in regards to the 16 class on June 15, depending on who they offer we could maybe get a couple commitments before the 15 class.

Dylan, how many offers do you think they hand out on the 15th?

I’ll have longer posts on 2015 and 2016 classes coming up in the next week or so.

I don’t think Michigan will only take a one man class, but it won’t be huge. The key is that MAAR/Dawkins provide flexibility/insurance to chase a higher rated prospect. Neither prospect will affect the '15 class as far as scaring away Jalen Coleman for example, but they mean that it might not be necessary to reach for anyone early on in '15.

Haven’t seen Trevor Manuel in a while, but I’m not losing sleep over Michigan not extending an offer right now. Davis I just saw this weekend and I think it’s the same thing.

If we can get Coleman, I’d rather take a guy like Ahrens - more athletic and better defensively.

You mean if we can’t get Coleman?

I’ve liked Ahrens in the past when watching Kennard, but he struggled in Sacramento (per EYBL stats), have to wonder how healthy he is coming off of the broken leg. Should be a huge July for him.

You mean if we can't get Coleman?

I’ve liked Ahrens in the past when watching Kennard, but he struggled in Sacramento (per EYBL stats), have to wonder how healthy he is coming off of the broken leg. Should be a huge July for him.

No I’m thinking if we get Coleman, I’d rather have a bigger athletic wing to pair with him in the class (instead of McQuaid - who I don’t see as being that type of player).

I like McQuaid’s offense but if we get Coleman who’s smooth on offense, I’d rather get someone else anyway.

Again, '15 is going to be a small class. I think they are going after a wing and a big. Ahmad is coming in soon and would love to see an offer go out to him, although that might end the Leaf recruitment in '16.

I think the plan is to bring in another 4 to play with Wilson, let Irvin & Chatman man the wings. Chatman is almost a 2 man not a 4. He will be coming off of screens and creating for other a whole bunch the next couple years.

Ellenson is another that I like for our 5 spot, but do we take a 5 in '15 having Doyle and Donnal in back 2 back (eligibility) classes?

Manual? No. Davis? No.

The only kids I have in to visit, knowing we would offer would be Ahmad, Dozier, Bragg & Ellenson.

Eron Harris is still in play. He could speed thing up with Coleman a bit.

Again why a small class? We have room for 4 if Lavert goes pro. And we still don’t have a high quality shot blocking/ rebounding big man.

I fear we are going to end up in the same position next spring scrambling to take plan c kids because we passed on/lost out on/slow played a lot of plan a/b kids early.