Who Should UM's Other Bigtime Nonconference Opponent Be?

So far for '14-'15, we have 'Cuse at home, Zona on the road, and 2 of Oregon/VCU/Nova in Barclays. We are likely to have one more big time game – who should it be? Some I’d like to see for home-and-homes: UCLA, Texas, Florida, and N.C. (although they may not for B1G-ACC purposes). Haven’t checked at all about their schedules.

Certainly wouldn’t be Texas. Their non-conference schedule is already completed. Would love to see us play another huge name though.

Bradley so I can go to another UM game in Peoria. :slight_smile:

I would love to see Florida, UNC or UK

Kansas

Kansas would be good, but we had a home-and-home not too long ago so I wonder if it’s less likely.

I would hope UM is up to play anybody, but this might not be the best year to start that series. I’d pick to play there, if it happened - a nothing to lose game.

Too bad about Texas. They might not want to see us after the tourney anyway.

As for Bradley, Sven, I think there’s a great shot – if you can get Patrick Beilein the head coaching gig.

Kentucky, early in season is a good choice too.

While I think setting up a home and home this season would be good, I’m more expecting another NYC type event as with the past two seasons. Both would be better, but not sure how many high-majors they want to schedule.

I’d also like to see us play above average mid majors on the home schedule if possible. Marquette, Xavier, Akron, etc. Whichever good ones don’t demand a return date, so at least the rest of the schedule is more watchable.

San Diego St.

Fisher - good program - west coast team

I don’t think Marquette or Xavier count as midmajors or would play guarantee games at UM. I also think JB likes having a couple cupcakes, especially with young teams, to gain some confidence and work on things in a game setting. That being said, a couple upper-tier midmajors seems like a good idea. And maybe a home with a Big East team? Georgetown? Maybe DePaul once they get the new arena?

I like the SDSt idea but I don’t think brandon wants two years of Fab Five talk, even if the fans do.

I don't think Marquette or Xavier count as midmajors or would play guarantee games at UM. I also think JB likes having a couple cupcakes, especially with young teams, to gain some confidence and work on things in a game setting. That being said, a couple upper-tier midmajors seems like a good idea. And maybe a home with a Big East team? Georgetown? Maybe DePaul once they get the new arena?

I like the SDSt idea but I don’t think brandon wants two years of Fab Five talk, even if the fans do.

haha yyyyeah I wouldn’t think so either. But I would like to see us play a west coast team. Gonzaga would be a cool matchup IMO

Last year for non conference we had 2 exhibitions, 4 cupcakes, and Arizona. Besides a lot of reasonable good away games which was why our schedule was tough. Two of those cupcakes were near the bottom of all 300-350 teams. So we just need a home and home against another good team that starts at our place next season. There is room for at least more non conference home games due to the imbalance of away games. Keep the two exhibitions, start with two cupcakes, then ramp up to two teams in the 150-250 range, I think we can afford to play one more team that would be ranked 20-32. This would give us 3 or 4 very watchable home games. if we can’t do that, then at least do the state a favor and play some of the directional Michgan teams again and U of D.

UCLA. So we can Show Looney and Bolden what they missed out on.

We didn’t really pursue Bolden. Looney would have been awesome here