Non-Conference Schedule

OK, this is another way-too-early discussion, but since we’re already talking about 2018 recruits, debating redshirts and dividing up the available minutes for next season, I thought it might be fun to ask: what do you think about the strength and composition of Michigan’s non-conference schedule for 2015?

Possible discussion topics: Who would you like to see Michigan face in the B1G/ACC challenge? Any intriguing match-ups in the Bahamas field? Do Xavier and/or SMU afford the opportunity for a marquee win, or are these shaping up to be “trap” games? What else would you like to see or not see in terms of scheduling… Etc.

For review… Here’s a run-down of announced and rumored games: http://www.umhoops.com/information/future-schedules/

I would expect B10/ACC announcement soon.

Hate to see Charlotte in that Atlantis field

Hate to see Charlotte in that Atlantis field

Bad Caribbean memories…

I think Xavier will be a solid game - a nice win if we get it. SMU I can hardly keep up with their drama so this far out who knows haha

Xavier, @SMU, B1G/ACC, 3 at B4A - that’s six quality games with 4, likely 5 road or neutral. I think you’ll see maybe one more quality home game, then six tomato cans - hopefully real tomato cans this time, with maybe one Michigan directional school thrown in. That’s pretty typical of UM schedules now and I like it. Bunch of really good games with a few chances to work things out, get confidence up, play some of the guys farther down the bench, etc. With the Xavier game so early, we should see a lot of quality games early on. We might be in a good position next year, being fairly experienced, to take advantage.

I don’t think the team will be taking much for granted next year, so I don’t think there will be trap games, at least in the nonconference. For the B1G-ACC, maybe Pitt or NC State? I was thinking Louisville or ND but they look to be due for road games. Just keep us away from VA.

I would love to see games against Texas and Gonzaga materialize in the Bahamas

Will be the third straight year that Shaka and U-M are at the same preseason tournament since facing off in the NCAA tourney in 2013.

Agree that Gonzaga and Texas seem like the most interesting Bahamas opponents, especially with Smart taking the reigns at Texas. Gonzaga’s front court will be a handful and good prep for Big Ten action. I am pretty done with Syracuse (they are damaged goods at the moment) and would be quite happy not to play Charlotte ever again.

Not likely that we play UNC in the ACC challenge (I assume that either MSU or OSU get them as usual) but that would be my first, second, and third choice. Assuming Louisville and ND are off the table, Miami or NC State might be pretty good games.

Also agree that the quality of cupcake opponents should improve but probably won’t especially after the NJIT affair. I do like playing vs. Detroit.

In terms of future schedules, looking at Dylan’s schedule resource, I’m not blown away by the prospects of a home-and-home with Cincy. Home-and-homes seem like the best chance to secure a true marquee opponent, like Arizona or Kansas. The AZ game in 2013 was great. Last year’s, not so much.

Would also love to play Fisher and SDSU but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on some sort of super secret U-M blacklist.

ACC/Big Ten rumors (via Andy Katz) are Indiana/Duke, Maryland/UNC and Wisconsin/Syracuse.

I look at the Atlantis tourney and I can see them setting up rivalry games in the 1st round.

Texas-TexasAM probably hasn’t happened since TexasAM moved to the SEC
Gonzaga-Washington haven’t played in some time
UConn-Syracuse haven’t played since leaving the Big East

I guess they could try and set them up in the latter rounds but there’s a chance those matchups don’t come to fruition.

Agree that Gonzaga and Texas seem like the most interesting Bahamas opponents, especially with Smart taking the reigns at Texas. Gonzaga's front court will be a handful and good prep for Big Ten action. I am pretty done with Syracuse (they are damaged goods at the moment) and would be quite happy not to play Charlotte ever again.

Not likely that we play UNC in the ACC challenge (I assume that either MSU or OSU get them as usual) but that would be my first, second, and third choice. Assuming Louisville and ND are off the table, Miami or NC State might be pretty good games.

Also agree that the quality of cupcake opponents should improve but probably won’t especially after the NJIT affair. I do like playing vs. Detroit.

In terms of future schedules, looking at Dylan’s schedule resource, I’m not blown away by the prospects of a home-and-home with Cincy. Home-and-homes seem like the best chance to secure a true marquee opponent, like Arizona or Kansas. The AZ game in 2013 was great. Last year’s, not so much.

Would also love to play Fisher and SDSU but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on some sort of super secret U-M blacklist.

Syracuse has a great recruiting class coming in and still returns some nice pieces.

I am going to predict Michigan-Pittsburgh. Michigan isn’t going to get a high profile opponent due to their finish this past year. Pitt missed the tourney last year and if they’re in the ACC/B1G challenge this year it seems like a decent matchup. Another possibility is Boston College they weren’t in the challenge this past year.

@AlbrechtShotFake Pitt would make some sense, especially because they played a road game last year.

Pittsburgh seems plausible. If it has to be a middling ACC team, I would take Miami.

I know that Syracuse is decent but I just hate that zone! The Bahamas games are pretty bad to begin with, due to being played in a ballroom with atrocious mood lighting.

SMU game is set for Tuesday, December 8th. http://www.umhoops.com/information/future-schedules/

I think the most likely opponent is NC State.

Nott Pitt http://www.cardiachill.com/2015/5/13/8595559/2015-acc-big-ten-challenge-pitt-purdue-basketball-pittsburgh-panthers-jamie-dixon

Got to agree with Barkle. Road game at NC State seems likely

Virginia is the only other possible destination

Dylan, didn’t UM have back to back roadies in the BT/ACC challenge recently? If that is the case, any chance they get a home game to make up for that?