Summer Practice

I have 0 perspective but I wish they would practice shots I would want them to take in a game

Especially first season with a moved-back 3Pt line. That little extra distance is going to change efficiency metrics, at least until players/coaches/systems have a chance to adapt.

1 Like

I donā€™t really think thereā€™s a problem with practicing mid-range jumpers. Thatā€™s very different than emphasizing them as a shot in the offense. It is just a shooting drill.

I also donā€™t think that a longer 3-point shot is going to lead to any sort of drop in percentage that somehow makes a mid-range shot more efficient.

6 Likes

Yeah as long as theyā€™re not practicing it more than teams w good shot profiles it doesnā€™t bother me. Shooting off movement is an important skill.

1 Like

Easiest way to think about it: you should be able to make every shot on the court and practice every shot on the court. You should also understand what a good shot and a bad shot is within the flow of the game. Two different things.

7 Likes

But maybe it will open up space so that more unchallenged mid-range shots are taken? It will be interesting to see what fodder new stats lend to these debates.

Since Juwan comes from the NBA, Iā€™d be surprised if he de-emphasized threes. Easy twos can also add up, though. You watch the good guards in the NBA and they seem to recognize so quickly when Ds break down to drop in layups.

1 Like

The idea behind extending the line is definitely to open up more space but good teams will be able to use that space to create opportunities at the rim.

An unchallenged mid-range shot (say .9 points per shot) is still probably worth less than an average three (say 1.05 points per shot).

But all this goes back to the fact that you have to practice mid-range shots. You have to be able to make those shots because you are going to attempt them in a game (even if they are less EV than 3s or layups). Practicing them in a drill is very different than designing an offense around jacking them up.

7 Likes

Dylan, didnā€™t know where to put this question but has there been any rumblings about additional or new staff members? Thanks

X gettinā€™ ready! This got me pumped up on a Saturday moring during the ā€œdog daysā€ of July!

6 Likes

111 days until the exhibition tip-off! Iā€™m ready meow.

2 Likes

Looked like Zeb Jackson was out there with him on the 5 on 5

3 Likes

Shotā€™s looking niceā€¦including that lefty hook (!)

3 Likes

Expect a former player to join the staff in a support role.

6 Likes

He looks like heā€™s altered the shot a bit. Looks like it might still take time to release but it looks better/ smoother.

3 Likes

Avery Queen, Minister of Discipline.

1 Like

I wonder if Juwan will have the open practice like Coach B did. I went every year. It was the only time I could afford lower bowl center court seats! :smile:

6 Likes

Appreciate the info, anymore details that can be shared?

1 Like

Sly and Voltron, I agree. The shot looks smoother as you said, Sly. Heā€™s not aiming it, heā€™s shooting it with a more natural motion. And, yes, the lefty hook was pretty cool, too.

If Iā€™m Juwan Iā€™m pretty excited to have a point guard with this work ethic, personality, skill level, experience, and tenacity helping to lead my team in year one!

3 Likes

Appears heā€™s working on his floater as well. Dig it!

1 Like

I wish I could buy season tix and travel to every home game from my home in Indy. I think itā€™s reasonable. My wife probably thinks Iā€™m insane.

5 Likes