Possible Asst Coach Candidates if Jordan Takes Butler Job

He’s widely considered the favorite, so I think there’s a great chance that LaVall gets his first head coaching gig either today or sometime this weekend. So what are some names that we could be looking at to replace LaVall?

Travis Conlan - one of the obvious names that will get thrown about. Experience working under JB, an alum, a guard. Seems to be a good fit.

CJ Lee - again, experience working under JB and an alum that played guard.

Jalen Rose - this name will get thrown about but it’s just a fantasy IMO.

Anybody that you know of that might be a good fit? I would think someone that could work with guards and knows the Midwest would be our biggest requirements. Not too worried about getting a reputed recruiter because I think we have enough in place that Michigan can pretty much sell itself.

likely going to be someone who recruits the midwest and in particular the state of Indiana … Which was jordan’s main resposibility …don’t think it will be conlan an definatly won’t be Rose … A name i would like to see is Calbert Cheaney who is at IU right now and is the director of bball operations young up and coming coach well known in the state of Indiana so we wouldn’t lose any built up momentum in that state

I’ve heard the name Travis Steele, an exceptional young coach at Xavier. He’s a tireless worker, a former guard, and he recruits Indiana. I really like the idea of Calbert Cheaney, too, but he’s IU through and through!

Saddi Washington - Oakland University

7 yrs experience, works with guards, Michigan native, narrowly lost the opening last time around

I don’t see Travis Conlan getting this job. Him leaving without another coaching job seems to show something wasn’t right. It might have been mutual.

JBlair, I agree. Saddi Washington would would be a great choice. In any case I certainly trust JB to get an outstanding coach if it becomes necessary to replace LJ, and I think it will be necessary because Butler would be crazy not to take LJ, and LJ would simply have to take the job if offered.

Saddi Washington - Oakland University

7 yrs experience, works with guards, Michigan native, narrowly lost the opening last time around

Yep, Saddi was a finalist the last time around. Coincidentally LaVall Jordan was also a finalist and then was picked shortly after Bacari Alexander had been hired after Mike Jackson took the Purdue job.

Wow! Extremely relieved that Lavall will continue to be a MICHIGAN assistant coach as a member of JB’s staff, and that he’ll continue to develop the exceptional young men, especially the guards, who play for the Wolverines. I know he’ll get his shot in the not too distant future, but for now (and always!), GO BLUE!