Offer Day

Might as well get the thread set-up :slight_smile:

Sam Webb says Thornton, Winston, Battle, TJ Leaf, Jamal Murray and Swanigan will be the first offers.

Almost perfect, I’d like to have seen Goodin before Winston but I get the local ties.

I guess Town’s development is still being tracked, along with bigmen targets?

Hope Josh Langford, ( and to a lesser extent) Devearl Ramsey and VJ King make trips soon.

When did he say Murry is getting offered? And he has always said Towns would get an offer.

What would want you to prefer an offer to Goodin over Winston? Winston is the better player.

Such a big day. Really want to see a couple quick pulling of the triggers…

Thorton Jr could be a huge recruiter if he ends this early, not only for Battle, but for Leaf, and maybe another elite wing if we are indeed waiting on Towns (which would be odd considering the back n forth communication/interest between the two sides ).

I’m really excited about the potential of Thorton Jr coming down the court flanked by Coleman and Battle. Now if only Coleman would wise up.

This will be my first time diving head first into a recruiting cycle. Suppose Winston accepts an offer on the spot. Does Thornton’s offer get pulled? What is the norm for that scenario? Is it rare for a kid to commit and a team (ours for example) still hold an offer for a really special like-positioned player? If so, would Thornton qualify as that type of special?

Thorton is a special talent, but usually Winston would have given some sort of indication to the staff that a quick-ish decision is in the works, or possible. If he did indeed commit, Thorton would no longer be an option. UM has no need for 2 PG’s in one class.

But Thorton is the one player who could very well drop early, not including Towns. Winston will most likely take his time.

Really hope Sam is right about Towns. No need to offer him at this point. I do not think he is good enough. However - would not mind seeing an offer to Goodin.

Pleasantly surprised that Swanigan is still in the mix. Thought for awhile now that he was a solid Sparty lean. Hope an offer means he still is open to us. Have to believe that there is some communication between the staff and Thornton about an early declaration. Don’t know if a Winston offer is leverage or sincere. Hard to believe they would both go to the same school?

Has Swanigan even visited? I can’t recall when he did. Towns is too good enough. Come on now.

Swanigan camped with us last year. AND is reclassified to 2015 class.

When did he say Murry is getting offered? And he has always said Towns would get an offer.

What would want you to prefer an offer to Goodin over Winston? Winston is the better player.

1. Supposedly his show

2. I don’t believe Winston is the better player or has near the ceiling of Goodin. The recruiting services are trending that way as well.

Has Swanigan even visited? I can't recall when he did. Towns is too good enough. Come on now.

Camped last year

Swanigan camped with us last year. AND is reclassified to 2015 class.

June 15 is irrelevant for Swanigan if he has reclassified to 2015. He has camped but my understanding is that Beilein wants a recruit to take the academic tour and bring a parent along before offering.

Might as well get the thread set-up :)

Sam Webb says Thornton, Winston, Battle, TJ Leaf, Jamal Murray and Swanigan will be the first offers.

Almost perfect, I’d like to have seen Goodin before Winston but I get the local ties.

I guess Town’s development is still being tracked, along with bigmen targets?

Hope Josh Langford, ( and to a lesser extent) Devearl Ramsey and VJ King make trips soon.

Thornton, Battle, Towns, Leaf and perhaps Teske. I think that Thornton will get a few weeks to commit, after which a Winston offer might come. Murray has been to a game but that’s it. Don’t think that he gets an offer on 6/15.

Swanigan: A Michigan offer is expected once transcripts are validated.

Tomorrow will be interesting.

My guess is that the offers will be Thornton, Leaf, Battle and Towns. I think we will give Thornton a “right of first refusal” to commit within a 2-3 month window, at which point we will offer Winston and Goodin if he hasn’t committed by then.

I’m not sure Murray and Swanigan have done the full academic tour yet. I guess we’ll find out, because I imagine you offer them if they have.

As far as Towns, I’m fine with him getting an offer. It’s pretty rare to fill a class with all 4-5 star, immediately obvious talents. Towns fits the profile of a guy who our coaches have spotted early, and who they really like, and we have done exceedingly well with those type of kids (Hardaway, Robinson, Irvin as some examples). Towns could be a nice player, and he won’t scare off anyone else. He also fits the profile of a player “beating down the doors” to play at Michigan, which is important to the staff. By the way, a couple other under-the-radar guys Beilein didn’t get in the past who fit this lanky wing with a good outside shot profile are Klay Thompson and Gordon Heyward.

It will be interesting to see if Teske gets an offer. Our main competition seems to be OSU and they have already offered, so if we’re serious about him, we may want to move on it now.

Thornton, Leaf, Battle are locks, that we can all agree on.

If there is an academic tour needed, Murray needs to do that ASAP

Langford says he wants to visit in the fall. Not a lot of talk about him but he is arguably our most talented target.

Not worried about bigmen. UM most likely takes one who redshirts and spends a year or two behind Doyle, Wilson and Donnal.

My thoughts:

Thornton - no doubt he gets offered; best player on our board and has serious mutual interest

Battle - no doubt he gets offered; currently need a 2 guard and with Coleman taking longer than anticipated the coaching staff will pursue hard. I don’t think we’ll ultimately land him but there seems to be genuine interest.

Towns - 50/50 if he gets offered; ESA is the better 2 way player but I think Towns is undervalued and will be a top 60-80 player soon. Coaching staff has to be careful with this - if they are holding out for ESA might not be a good idea to offer Towns because he would probably be on commit watch.

Winston - probably gets offered; I think he is overrated and I prefer Goodin. Should give Thornton until the end of the summer to commit and then offer Winston/Goodin in my view.

Goodin - see Winston

Leaf - gets the offer; seems to be a good fit but I do think he’s a bit overrated. Seems very mechanical/robotic with his movement but I strongly feel he is adjusting to his body growth and this will eventually work itself out.

Murray - have no idea; seems to be conflicting info on the extent of his visit

Swanningan - clueless

Ok that was my question…

I didn’t think Murry was anywhere close to getting offered.
Either is Goodin

As stated above, Thorton, Battle and Leaf are for sure’s, Towns has to be right there. Teske should get one soon, if not tomm. Winston may have moved up his timetable for an offer with his camp play. I also think Thorton will get a month or two “right of refusal” period, but Winston may get one by August.

Winston has very high potential in this offense, and I like him better then Goodin.

Swanigan is not coming to UM guys. And I really have began not to care what so ever who MSU gets, but I’d rather they not have Davis/Swanigan front court.

Even if UM gets Coleman, UM HAS to get a top tier wing in 2016. MAAR/Coleman aint going to cut it. Chatman can slide up but depth is still an issue.

As for Goodin/Winston, the reason I prefer Goodin is that he is bigger,longer and more explosive. He has the physical dimensions to guards 2s and I expect his jumpshot to keep developing and close the gap between he and Winston.

Matt, where do you see Battle going? I think depth and higher held targets by the bluebloods gives us a shot.

I know you are asking Matt D, but Matt R thinks Battle’s dad makes it seem like he/they are looking for a Kentucky offer? Is it just a pelt on the wall, or where they really want to go? Time will tell.

Even if UM gets Coleman, UM HAS to get a top tier wing in 2016. MAAR/Coleman aint going to cut it. Chatman can slide up but depth is still an issue.

As for Goodin/Winston, the reason I prefer Goodin is that he is bigger,longer and more explosive. He has the physical dimensions to guards 2s and I expect his jumpshot to keep developing and close the gap between he and Winston.

Matt, where do you see Battle going? I think depth and higher held targets by the bluebloods gives us a shot.

Couldn’t agree with you more in regard to Battle and the Winston/Goodin comparison - I’ve senn Winston live 3 times this year and never came away thinking he was as good as the rankings indicate. A poor defensive player to say the least. Very limited athleticism as well. Skilled player on offense that can pass the pall with a lethal step back jumpshot though. Goodin has much higher ceiling in my opinion.

Battle - NJ kid with strong links to Syracuse and openly campaigning for UK is indicative of a kid that will probably play elsewhere. Can’t count out Uconn either. Not saying that we don’t have a shot but it seems like Pops is running the show and while he liked UM, I don’t know if we’re destination school outside the midwest at this point.

2 more years of sweet 16 runs and I think we’ll start to see the top flight talent take more notice on a consistent basis.

I think UK leads but 2 things

Charles Matthews, Devin Booker and Tyler Ullis all look like 3 year guys

Kobi Simmons and Jayson Tatum seem to be priorities

Duke (Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard, Brandon Ingram*, Dennis Smith*, Jayson Tatum*, Josh Langford*)

Syracuse (Franklin Howard, Kaleb Joseph, Malachi Richardson, Howard Washington*, Jamal Murray* )

UCONN (Will Jackson, Daniel Hamilton, Rodney Purvis, Jalen Adams*)

not worried about Indiana, OSU, Villanova and Virginia. KU could be a problem. One of these wings (Murray, Battle,Langford) will hopefully be pushed out by the bluebloods and into UM’s lap.