2016 - Forward Recruiting (Seth Towns, etc.)

This discussion was created from comments split from: Assorted Notes.

Apparently the Seth Towns visit was true

#Michigan 2016 offer Seth Towns will visit Ann Arbor again this weekend as the heavy favorite for his services (VIP): http://t.co/G9OpBPG17g

— Steve Lorenz (@TremendousUM) June 27, 2014
Apparently the Seth Towns visit was true

#Michigan 2016 offer Seth Towns will visit Ann Arbor again this weekend as the heavy favorite for his services (VIP): http://t.co/G9OpBPG17g

— Steve Lorenz (@TremendousUM) June 27, 2014

Team camp.

Looks like Moyer is really starting to blow up - received offers from Kansas State and Wake Forest today.

I’ve only seen one limited clip of Moyer but it looks like he’s a good athlete with limited skills. Curious if anyone out there has any recent clips of Moyer.

Tows also offered by Iowa yesterday. How that guy is not at least a top 150 player on every site is beyond me. Probably one of the most underrated guys in the country.

Moyer is definitely a good 2nd offer behind Leaf, who will be hard to pull from the West.

Why do you think that Leaf is a hard pull from the West? I had gotten the impression that Indiana and Michigan were very much in it/maybe considered ahead because he had midwest roots/family.

Moyer is definitely a good 2nd offer behind Leaf, who will be hard to pull from the West.

Why do you think that Leaf is a hard pull from the West? I had gotten the impression that Indiana and Michigan were very much in it/maybe considered ahead because he had midwest roots/family.

The “experts” aren’t comvimced. Maybe UM gets him but Moyer is trending up to top 50 status. 2 years from now and there may not be a gap.

1 Like

The “experts” aren’t comvimced. Maybe UM gets him but Moyer is trending up to top 50 status. 2 years from now and there may not be a gap.

I guess I had heard the “experts” say Michigan was in good favor previously. Obviously that can change. I wouldn’t be upset with Moyer either, but would like to pursue Leaf as well :slight_smile:

I guess I had heard the “experts” say Michigan was in good favor previously. Obviously that can change. I wouldn’t be upset with Moyer either, but would like to pursue Leaf as well :slight_smile:

Let me clarify, UM is in Leaf’s top 4 and can definitely get him but with that said, at the moment people think UCLA is the team to beat. Duke, Louisville and Florida have also entered his recruitment so that is going to be drawn out.

behind Leaf, who will be hard to pull from the West.

You keep saying this. Yet everyone seems to agree Michigan and Indiana are his favorites at this point.

Ok, so I did some more research on my itch that Moyer isn’t really 6’8 (which is my big concern with him)…and came up with the photo below. No way is that kid 6’8, Towns is universally listed at 6’7-6’8 and Turner 6’6-6’7. Moyer is realistically 6’5 based on this photo in June.

Ok, so I did some more research on my itch that Moyer isn't really 6'8 (which is my big concern with him)........and came up with the photo below. No way is that kid 6'8, Towns is universally listed at 6'7-6'8 and Turner 6'6-6'7. Moyer is realistically 6'5 based on this photo in June.

https://twitter.com/VCCOhioWarriors/status/482646301452939265

Good picture - standing close together, feet all appear to be about the same position, photo taker appears to be only slightly shorter, etc. Thanks. I think he looks more like 6’7", same as Turner, with his chin down, so maybe if he put it up like Evan’s, he might appear 1/2"-1" taller.

Looked up Turner’s combine measurements without shoes for reference - listed at 6’5.75 for 2010 combine. Let’s give Turner 6’6.75 with shoes - this pretty much means that Moyer is probably 6’5 - 6’5.5 without shoes and 6’6 - 6’6.5 with shoes. Could still be growing though, but I don’t think he really has the skills at this point to be perimeter oriented player in our system.

On another note, is it me, or does Towns have a really long neck. Kid seems to be at the same level in terms of shoulder height, but man does the neck give him an extra 2 inches or what?

6’6.5" with shoes is essentially 6’7"…When I’ve watched him, he’s always played bigger than 6-5 and certainly has the wingspan.

Dylan - I’ve only seen very limited film on Moyer - does he have any ball skills? From everything I’ve seen he doesn’t seem very skilled, but is a good athlete. Doesn’t seem to have the requisite skill set to play the 4 at UM.

On another note, is it me, or does Towns have a really long neck. Kid seems to be at the same level in terms of shoulder height, but man does the neck give him an extra 2 inches or what?
Agree. Kinda like Stephen Zimmerman in that regard. It's why standing reach, vertical, wingspan, etc. are all more important than height.

Standing reach, vertical, wingspan, CAN be more important than height, but not necessarily. For instance, Caris probably has a good wingspan, but his low release point and set shot negate any length advantage he may have on his jumpshot. Another example would be a jumpshooter that jumps forward on his shot rather than remaining vertical…it negates the advantage.

Moyer has some ball skills, but they are still a bit raw. He can take bigger guys off the bounce and even hit a couple stepback threes at Michigan camp. That’s the part of his game that’s still coming together, but if it does he’ll be a problem.

Seth Towns (6'8 SF / Columbus Northland / 2016):

If there was one word to describe Towns game, it would have to be none other than ‘smooth.’ As the Northland product is incredibly skilled on the perimeter, Towns was a major part in three-straight wins for his VCC Ohio Warriors on Saturday. Paired with Gahanna forward Matthew Moyer, the lengthy duo combined to score 68 points on Saturday, doing damage both from behind-the-arc, and around the basket in transition. As VCC’s starting lineup includes four players 6-foot-5 and taller, Towns is a major piece to a team that has been rolling with momentum as of late. Fresh off a championship at the Philly Invitational a week ago, Towns has VCC in position for yet another deep run on Sunday. Playing in front of Michigan assistant coach Jeff Meyer for the last two games on Saturday, the Wolverines seem to be the favorite for the 6-foot-8 forward at this point in the recruiting process.

Matt Moyer (6’8 PF / Gahanna Lincoln / 2016):

Several days after receiving six scholarship offers in less than 24 hours, Moyer should expect his phone to keep buzzing after a strong showing on Saturday. Doing the most damage along the baseline, Moyer put his impressive length and explosion to use in helping lead VCC to three-consecutive wins. Alongside Towns, Lima Central Catholic forward Dantez Walton and Columbus Walnut Ridge forward Malik Harrison, VCC enjoys a size advantage in most of their matchups, which has been a major reason for the team’s success this summer. While Moyer’s outside shooting is still a work in progress, the 6-foot-8 forward has looked more comfortable shooting from the perimeter, knocking down threes in each game on Saturday.