2016 Point Guard Recruiting (Xavier Simpson)

This discussion was created from comments split from: Assorted Notes.

Michigan State HC Tom Izzo and assistant Dane Fife watching 2016 PG Cassius Winston. Michigan & Iowa State here as well.

— Derek Piper (@Future150DPiper) July 16, 2014

2016 SF Miles Bridges has no shortage of athleticism. Showing out in front of Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, NC State & others.

— Derek Piper (@Future150DPiper) July 17, 2014

Eric Davis 6'2 2015 #TheFamily came out guns blazing...18 very aggressive points in first half, can really carry a team #PeachJam

— Jamie Shaw (@JamieShaw5) July 17, 2014

Florida was so in attendance for Quentin Goodin's game. The Gators will be a major player.

— T.J. Walker (@TWalkerRivals) July 17, 2014

Michigan, Tennessee and WKU just some of the schools here watching Quentin Goodin. The 2016 four-star is getting anywhere he wants.

— T.J. Walker (@TWalkerRivals) July 16, 2014
Good article on JB and recruiting:

http://www.freep.com/article/20140716/SPORTS06/307160197

Jamal Murray, Josh Langford, Devearl Ramsey, Miles Bridges all need offers in 2016!!!

Wasn’t big on Murray initially, but the more film I’ve watched the more I’ve come to appreciate his game. Would love for him to take the full academic tour and get an offer. However I think DT is the first domino to make an NBA analogy. The staff is prioritizing DT and the chips will fall in line once we have a resolution on that front. I think Ramsey is a bit of a project on offense but I do love him as a 2 way player that applies constant ball pressure to opposing PGs and just wears them down to the point of submission. I would see where things go with DT/Winston/Goodin before giving Ramsey an offer.

I haven’t really watched any film on Goodin. Beside his size, what are his strengths? Is he a better option than Winston for us?

Murray is a 2 guard. Compares favorably to Stauskas. I’d say 1.Langford 2.Battle 3.Murray but really no separation. Why wait on Battle when Langford is an Adidas kid and Murray wants to stay close to Canada?

After Coleman/Ali, I tend to favor Shake Milton. Length, PnR handling, shooting, rebounding, defense… Not one dimensional like Kenny Williams and isn’t adamant about being a PG like Eric Davis

I haven't really watched any film on Goodin. Beside his size, what are his strengths? Is he a better option than Winston for us?

Goodin reminds me a lot of Baron Davis, big guard with good court vision and elite finishing ability. His jumpshot is a work in progress to be perfectly honest. Has the ability to be a lockdown defender as well. Winston is more skilled than Goodin at this point, but Goodin has more size, athleticism and upside to be a legit 2 way player.

One potential reason to wait on Battle is Thornton. Once they decide to go to different schools, then yes, by all means, move on.

Bigs just take longer. UM will have to take Bo Ryan's cue and develop some of these guys first before elites bigs will consistently bite.

Yeah nobody is going to be knocking down our door to be the next JMo and they just didn’t get to see enough of Mitch in a Michigan uniform.

Though landing Thornton or another elite PG could always be a good short cut.

2016 Quentin Goodin (#74/#84) announced that Marquette has offered. Indiana, Michigan & Tennessee amongst others have offered Quentin Goodin

— Jerry Meyer (@jerrymeyer247) July 21, 2014

Michigan Wolverines head coach John Beilein in background on hand scouting 2016 Jamal Murray @ #PeachJam pic.twitter.com/Wyc2YB3wwc

— Hoops Hype Canada (@HoopsHypeCA) July 21, 2014
Dillon Brooks:

“Iowa State, Rhode Island, Illinois, Duquesne and New Mexico State have offered,” Brooks said. “I’m getting interest from Michigan, Michigan State, Kansas, Maryland, Washington, Washington State.”

Thought this was funny, coaches trying to emulate JB

“10. Schools are trying to limit their drama: This seemed to be a common theme among schools I spoke with throughout the past couple of weeks. The term “low-maintenance” came up often, while some schools discussed how they preferred to get a commitment early as opposed to waiting for another year and holding out for someone slightly better. In another school’s case, they were adjusting their entire recruiting strategy. Instead of just stockpiling talent and athleticism, they were looking for some high-academic kids and kids that would help chemistry. Talent is great; too many egos is not.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24631336/ten-thoughts-from-nike-peach-jam-and-under-armour-finals

And here is some Jamal Murray. He doesn’t get talked about enough as the potential off-guard in 2016 but seems more likely than Battle or Langford, at the moment. “Hoops Hype Canada” thinks its UM, MSU and Syracuse and I think UM has a favorable position given roster make-up.

"Top 10 2016 prospect Derryck Thornton told 247Sports at the USA 17U trials in Colorado Springs, Colo., that Kentucky and Michigan are the two schools recruiting him the hardest.
Thornton, a 6-2 point guard out of Henderson (Nev.) Findlay Prep, is expecting all of Michigan’s staff to be at the trials on Friday and someone from Kentucky’s staff, possibly even John Calipari.
Thornton noted that he will likely visit Kentucky for Midnight Madness in October and will likely visit Michigan for a football game.
Currently Michigan leads Kentucky in his Crystal Ball.
"

"Top 10 2016 prospect Derryck Thornton told 247Sports at the USA 17U trials in Colorado Springs, Colo., that Kentucky and Michigan are the two schools recruiting him the hardest. Thornton, a 6-2 point guard out of Henderson (Nev.) Findlay Prep, is expecting all of Michigan's staff to be at the trials on Friday and someone from Kentucky's staff, possibly even John Calipari. Thornton noted that he will likely visit Kentucky for Midnight Madness in October and will likely visit Michigan for a football game. Currently Michigan leads Kentucky in his Crystal Ball."

I find it comical that Thornton’s daddy has made a huge huge deal of Jeff Meyer and John Beilein’s integrity above all else… and that the other coach DTJr is considering is Calipari, lol

"Top 10 2016 prospect Derryck Thornton told 247Sports at the USA 17U trials in Colorado Springs, Colo., that Kentucky and Michigan are the two schools recruiting him the hardest. Thornton, a 6-2 point guard out of Henderson (Nev.) Findlay Prep, is expecting all of Michigan's staff to be at the trials on Friday and someone from Kentucky's staff, possibly even John Calipari. Thornton noted that he will likely visit Kentucky for Midnight Madness in October and will likely visit Michigan for a football game. Currently Michigan leads Kentucky in his Crystal Ball."

I find it comical that Thornton’s daddy has made a huge huge deal of Jeff Meyer and John Beilein’s integrity above all else… and that the other coach DTJr is considering is Calipari, lol

I guess we just have to hope that integrity is high on the list of deciding factors.

I’m not terribly concerned about the 2016 PG position. We will get somebody, be it DTJr or otherwise, and we will develop the hell out of him.

2016 Derryck Thornton breaks his hand while at USA trials dimming his chances on making the team. Few had a better summer than Thornton!

— Dain Ervin (@BIReports) July 28, 2014

There is a rumor that Dennis Smith and Duke have mutually decided to part ways. Coach K would most definitely go after DTJR if true.

Now we know why Smith got cut? I’ll ask again, how many Duke offers got cut?

If Duke will indeed turn up the heat on Thornton, I think that’s his destination. Battle purportedly likes Duke a lot, and he and DTJr want to play together.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Leaf, Battle and Thronton all end up there.