Michigan players listed on Moneyball rosters

Far from easy but certainly easier than having to be a trusted playmaker on the offensive end.

They are just different roles, and both hard to accomplish at a D1 level. For example, Zavier Simpson is a trusted playmaker on the offensive end but he is not able to “just make threes”.

The idea of “just” shooting threes and playing defense really masks just how hard it is to do both at an above average Big Ten level. If it were easy, guys would be walking around shooting 40% from 3-point range all over the place.

Did Matt McQuaid “just” play defense and make threes? Replacing him is going to be a huge issue for MSU this year.

4 Likes

So the “highlight” for MSU was their senior missing a layup?

Connor George was the only MSU player there yesterday.

Good ole Graham Couch was blasting the Michigan players for no showing last week when not a single one out of 12 scholarship guys showed up yesterday. Not a peep from him or the other Spartan writers or fans.

5 Likes

To be fair… it was a Michigan writer who wrote a whole article about Michigan players not showing up. Don’t really think that Moneyball attendance should be taken all that seriously. It is just glorified pick up.

1 Like

It absolutely shouldn’t. I agree with you completely. I definitely seen some MSU writers blasting players saying if they are listed then they should be there. 99% sure it was Couch but I don’t care enough to go double check.

With how things went yesterday, I wouldn’t be shocked if Isaiah didn’t wanna come back.

Couch is just the worst. In every way.

2 Likes

Bummer about Livers. I was kind of worried when I didn’t see more of that in the highlights…

I wish people cared this much when I went to the rec center to play pickup :sleepy:

8 Likes

I never said it was easy, I simply stated all we are looking for him to do is shoot 3s and not be pathetic on defense.

His jump shot looked great to be fair. He struggled making 3s but they looked good. His mid range pull up is what got him most of his buckets too. He got it off whenever he wanted. After seeing his handles though I’m just not going to expect him to create a lot for himself and others in iso scenarios consistently. He didn’t show any go to moves to get by guys, nor tight enough handles to do so anyway.

3 Likes

Couch? He isn’t a UM beat writer unless it was somebody else, Nick B, Orion, etc.

I believe he is talking about Kahn

Bear in mind, Nairns averaged over 30 ppg one Summer at Moneyball.

2 Likes

I did not like the take two years ago when they signed Nunez but when you revisit his tapes from games at his prep school he looks like a guy who can succeed.

I put nothing into how badly he shot in blowouts in minutes that are out of hand. Lots of nerves for a kid and those minutes are just people killing the clock while hunting a walk on a shot. Lots of times you end up in a scenario where you are just chucking up a crazy shot with no time left.

Overreacting to his play at a summer league pick up game is like overreacting to his play in those scenarios. Neither are real minutes or indicators of his future.

I’m actually a fan of his game now upon rewatching his film from two years ago and while I was more confident when coach b was here that he’d turn him into a player I’m still confident he has a shot to turn into a solid role player and who knows maybe more.

He clearly wasn’t good enough or ready to get on the floor last year but if he works hard and plays smart and confident I could see him getting 5-10 min a game this year with potential for more. That is a big league shooter and he appears to have nice body control and understands how to play.

1 Like

Just to clarify, I was high on Nunez before yesterday. My opinion is not based on Moneyball highlights. It just seemed like a good time to claim my spot on the Nunez bandwagon.

3 Likes

Actually I don’t, Ian! I can just see the comments if folks saw me playing down at the gym. “Too OLD!” “Too SLOW!” “No lateral agility!” “Lacking in athletic ability!” “Can’t jump!” “Can’t shoot!” “Inability to stay in front of anyone!” “Should probably stick to golf!” Nah, I don’t want ANYONE paying attention, let alone caring about, my (lack of) playing ability! :rofl:

2 Likes

Although I’d add it does not hurt that he looked great in that money ball game. I love how he stays balanced and looks fluid and he seems to understand how to use his body/ cut without the ball.

I know a lot of people think Bajema will jump him out the gate but I’m not positive about that. It would be great if he could but I’m not sure he will be ready.

Cole did start to look more and more impressive and looked awfully smooth in the last few videos I saw but early on it was so hard for me to gauge due to his competition. Hopefully you are all right along with coach b and the others who has him ranked so high.

Do you smoke, use edibles, or use oils to get high on Nunez? Don’t have any plans for the 4th, so I’m looking for something to do.

2 Likes