2016-17 Roster; 2017 priorities

Michigan’s roster now looks like this…

What do you think of the 2016-17 roster now that it is essentially complete? Where does Michigan need to focus on the class of 2017?

Wilkes and Scruggs. Don’t waste time on Bowen. Still unsure about Tillman’s lack of athleticism translating to the B1G, but he is very underrated as a passer and screen setter on top of being a legacy. Plus he is a consummate teammate.

Hard to say, if you feel comfortable running MAAR as a wing guard primary and backup PG secondary, then you may not need another PG option. Otherwise, I can see going after another Spike Albrecht type of PG to spell Simpson. That senior class in 2017 looks a little big right now, and two asterisks makes me think things will become clearer in time.

Looking at that does this guarantee that one of the following happens? One transfer? One guy leaving early for the draft? One recruit takes a prep year?

Looking at that does this guarantee that one of the following happens? One transfer? One guy leaving early for the draft? One recruit takes a prep year?

Those would be the possibilities… I think it is generally safe to assume some attrition given those sort of possibilities and such a deep roster this year.

Wilkes and Scruggs. Don't waste time on Bowen. Still unsure about Tillman's lack of athleticism translating to the B1G, but he is very underrated as a passer and screen setter on top of being a legacy. Plus he is a consummate teammate.

WIlkes is up to the top ten by Rivals, so certainly a big summer for him. He’s a kid that seems serious about academics so key for U-M to try to get him on campus.

Hard to say, if you feel comfortable running MAAR as a wing guard primary and backup PG secondary, then you may not need another PG option. Otherwise, I can see going after another Spike Albrecht type of PG to spell Simpson. That senior class in 2017 looks a little big right now, and two asterisks makes me think things will become clearer in time.

PG recruiting is really interesting. Before it was always shoot for 1 PG every 2 years, but Burke and Morris really kind of threw that all out of alignment. Spike Albrecht was the solution to that problem and he worked out perfectly.

Now Walton looks like a four year player and we have one overlap year with Simpson. That’s ideal for 2016-17, but can you find a Spike Albrecht while Simpson is the starting guy? It can be tough to land a PG when you have a presumed starter entering his freshman year (what MSU is doing with Winston/Nairn).

Walton, Simpson and Abdur-Rahkman on the same roster next year could also really make for a nice defensive backcourt. Probably one of the better ones that U-M has had.

PG recruiting is really interesting. Before it was always shoot for 1 PG every 2 years, but Burke and Morris really kind of threw that all out of alignment. Spike Albrecht was the solution to that problem and he worked out perfectly.

Now Walton looks like a four year player and we have one overlap year with Simpson. That’s ideal for 2016-17, but can you find a Spike Albrecht while Simpson is the starting guy? It can be tough to land a PG when you have a presumed starter entering his freshman year (what MSU is doing with Winston/Nairn).

Yeah, I remember the talk of 1 PG every other year model. I don’t know who you would find, but it would have to be someone who has had Michigan as a dream school to be willing to potentially sit behind another guard for a few years. I think the next most likely spot to fill is a wing-guard for the 2-3 spot.

I feel confident that Center will not be a top priority.

Here’s one 2017 PG that wants to visit. Jordan Poole. Lavall Jordan was watching him today. He’ll be on campus next week.
http://hoopseen.com/index.php/news/headlines/item/3507-jordan-poole-recaps-illinois-visit-eyes-michigan?utm_content=buffer8187a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Remember we have this page for tracking recruiting visits… Will try to keep it updated this fall. http://www.umhoops.com/official-visits/

Here's one 2017 PG that wants to visit. Jordan Poole. Lavall Jordan was watching him today. He'll be on campus next week. http://hoopseen.com/index.php/news/headlines/item/3507-jordan-poole-recaps-illinois-visit-eyes-michigan?utm_content=buffer8187a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

While Poole is a fine prospect, he’s not a PG, but an undersized 2.

If you’re looking for the next Spike role…Jarrod West (17/WV) may be that guy…he took an unofficial to UM a few weeks back. A small, Non-athlete that can shoot…he’s a shoot first PG, but certainly doesn’t possess the same level of court vision in relation to Spike. Holds a bunch of mid major offers at this point

Yeah, I remember the talk of 1 PG every other year model. I don’t know who you would find, but it would have to be someone who has had Michigan as a dream school to be willing to potentially sit behind another guard for a few years. I think the next most likely spot to fill is a wing-guard for the 2-3 spot.

I feel confident that Center will not be a top priority.

While center may not be a top priority, Jaron Faulds (17/The Family) took an unofficial to UM over the weekend. Much like you, I don’t see the need for any bigs at all…a bit perplexed that we’re even looking…unless Donnal or Wilson leave.

Faulds had a strong summer and looking at the scholarship chart it is likely that there’s some attrition before 2017 arrives (the class won’t be just 1 person). Donnal is a RS Sr. that year which we’ve seen isn’t a guarantee by any means.

Think it is too early to pigeon hole position requirements and keep a wide net in 2017.

Hey look everyone! Matt D is back!!!

Seems like they did the whole recruiting class for '16 ass-backwards. Two bigs first when they really only needed one (at most), then they pulled the trigger too quick on Watson, and got their primary need last. Not sure who they’re going to give the bum’s rush to, but it would have been a lot easier if they hadn’t been in such a hurry to grab Davis and Watson. I doubt they’d both be out of reach at this point, but what’s done is done. At this point, I wouldn’t put Irvin at any better than even money to leave early, so my money would be on Donnal to transfer.

Looking at the 2016 roster, it seems almost inevitable that we’ll be playing a bigger lineup, even if Donnal is gone. Davis seems a likely redshirt, but I’d look for Teske to contribute. There’s no obvious replacement for LeVert, but we have a lot of pieces.

For 2017, go for a SG/W with the first spot, and see what else opens up. Even if Donnal transfers, another big is low priority. More 2’s and 3’s to fill spots in what would otherwise be an awkwardly huge 2018 freshman class.

I don’t think M will necessarily be looking for a Spike Albrecht type player and 2017, they’ll be looking for the best PG available, assuming they’re looking for a PG. Not a hard sell that 2 PG’s can be on the court at the same time.

Love Poole at PG.

Go get Poole and Cain. We’re not getting Wilkes or Scruggs…

Seems like they did the whole recruiting class for '16 ass-backwards. Two bigs first when they really only needed one (at most), then they pulled the trigger too quick on Watson, and got their primary need last. Not sure who they're going to give the bum's rush to, but it would have been a lot easier if they hadn't been in such a hurry to grab Davis and Watson. I doubt they'd both be out of reach at this point, but what's done is done. At this point, I wouldn't put Irvin at any better than even money to leave early, so my money would be on Donnal to transfer.

Looking at the 2016 roster, it seems almost inevitable that we’ll be playing a bigger lineup, even if Donnal is gone. Davis seems a likely redshirt, but I’d look for Teske to contribute. There’s no obvious replacement for LeVert, but we have a lot of pieces.

For 2017, go for a SG/W with the first spot, and see what else opens up. Even if Donnal transfers, another big is low priority. More 2’s and 3’s to fill spots in what would otherwise be an awkwardly huge 2018 freshman class.

One of the bigs (Davis) will likely either prep or redshirt, so he’s really a '17 guy. No one will be given “the bum’s rush”–Davis will prep if he has to, but there will likely be attrition simply because some guys won’t play.

Davis’ latest comments are that he’s '16 and he’s not prepping.