Kameron Chatman at USA Basketball Tryouts

I don’t think Kam has the sort of game to stand out in a high-level camp/tryout type environment. Like you said he’s not the best athlete, he’s also not the most aggressive scorer. I think that element of his game will develop over time.

For him to have any NBA aspirations, I feel he will have to man the PG position A La Brian Shaw of UC Santa Barbara. JMO, his game is much like Kyle Anderson of UCLA. Though he could add a little girth, strength and Length and develop into an Antoine Walker clone over the years.

Chatman isn’t playing PG… Walton has that on lockdown and hopefully Thornton in 2 years… I agree he reminds me of Kyle Anderson but Kyle Anderson won’t be playing any PG in the NBA like he did in college

For what it’s worth Kyle Anderson was grouped with the forwards at the combine rather than the PGs. NBA GMs know Anderson simply doesn’t possess the lateral quickness or speed to play PG in the league. I think the same can be said for Kam.

Some people are just enamored with tall PGs. Not happenin in Chatman’s case.

Some people are just enamored with tall PGs. Not happenin in Chatman's case.
And in the end, it doesn't really matter especially in this offense. Chatman's passing ability and 'point guard skills' will manifest themselves within the offense wherever he plays, even at the four spot.

I’ll tell you what, if Kam can be our Boris Diaw I’ll be quite happy. The guy has scored a total of 21 points through 3 1/2 games and has literally dominated the series.

Wont matter at UofM maybe, I was more so speaking of his chances in the NBA. Cant see him ever playing the 4 spot in the NBA.

Some people are just enamored with tall PGs. Not happenin in Chatman’s case.

And in the end, it doesn’t really matter especially in this offense. Chatman’s passing ability and ‘point guard skills’ will manifest themselves within the offense wherever he plays, even at the four spot.

An NBA team would be Foolish, IMO, not to let the Kyle Anderson man the Point Guard, Thats his natural position and his strength.

Chatman isn’t playing PG… Walton has that on lockdown and hopefully Thornton in 2 years… I agree he reminds me of Kyle Anderson but Kyle Anderson won’t be playing any PG in the NBA like he did in college

An NBA team would be Foolish, IMO, not to let the Kyle Anderson man the Point Guard, Thats his natural position and his strength.
Chatman isn't playing PG.. Walton has that on lockdown and hopefully Thornton in 2 years.. I agree he reminds me of Kyle Anderson but Kyle Anderson won't be playing any PG in the NBA like he did in college

I definitely agree that PG may be Anderson’s natural position, but not necessarily his natural strength in the context of the NBA. There is simply no way Anderson can handle the ball pressure exerted in the NBA, simply doesn’t have the lateral quickness or vertical speed to overcome it. Not to mention, he isn’t a great shooter, so the pick and roll would not be a great benefit to him if the defense simply sags off Anderson on the switch. He will be much better operating out of the pinch post in the league in my opinion, similar to Boris Diaw.

Well of course Chatman won’t play the 4 in the NBA… He will be a taller version of GR3 in that he’s a 4 at Michigan (which functions the same as a 3 on offense anyways) and he will be a 3 at the next level

And Kyle Anderson doesn’t have the quickness to get by PGs in the league and especially not guard on the defensive end so it would cause issues with matchups on both ends… Imagine him trying to compete with CP3, Westbrook, Rondo, Parker, Conley, etc.

I'll tell you what, if Kam can be our Boris Diaw I'll be quite happy. The guy has scored a total of 21 points through 3 1/2 games and has literally dominated the series.

Was thinking the same thing while watching last night’s game. Chatman is going to be our Boris Diaw with his passing skills. I just hope he’s our slimmer Diaw and not the chunky version. I can’t believe how much weight Diaw has gained since he entered the NBA.

I'll tell you what, if Kam can be our Boris Diaw I'll be quite happy. The guy has scored a total of 21 points through 3 1/2 games and has literally dominated the series.

Was thinking the same thing while watching last night’s game. Chatman is going to be our Boris Diaw with his passing skills. I just hope he’s our slimmer Diaw and not the chunky version. I can’t believe how much weight Diaw has gained since he entered the NBA.

Well, if we’re being honest, Kam isn’t in the greatest shape. I would venture to say his body fat % is probably relatively high at the moment. That being said, we’ve seen what Camp Sanderson has done with Nik, Caris, JMo, etc. He may be out of shape when he hits campus, but I can just about guarantee that he will be in great shape by year 2, and will be more athletic than he is currently.

For him to have any NBA aspirations, I feel he will have to man the PG position A La Brian Shaw of UC Santa Barbara. JMO, his game is much like Kyle Anderson of UCLA. Though he could add a little girth, strength and Length and develop into an Antoine Walker clone over the years.

Kam will never play the 1 at Michigan. I don’t even see him as a 2. At Michigan he’s a 3 or 4 depending on need, matchups and development. He should be quality passing wing/forward. In the pros he’s a 3 unless he keeps growing.

If he brings the Ball up the court and sets up the play one time in his Michigan Career your post will be Null and Void. Caris and Nik both played the 1 many times at Michigan, I dont see any reason Kam wont be afforded the same opportunity.

Kam will never play the 1 at Michigan. I don’t even see him as a 2. At Michigan he’s a 3 or 4 depending on need, matchups and development. He should be quality passing wing/forward. In the pros he’s a 3 unless he keeps growing.

Whether he’s a 1 or 3/4 doesn’t necessarily matter, point is that he generates offense for others, which is a great quality. I don’t think he’ll ever be a ball dominant player that is usually associated with PGs, but he will create some from the elbow mostly and some at the wing. Perfect player to break a zone defense in the same mold that McGary broke Syracuse. He would be lethal from that spot.

Webbdog is just ITCHING for Kam to get some PG run isn’t he? Jesus.

I’m ITCHING for him to be allowed to play his position of choice. If he is capable, afford him the chance. Ive seen many do it and have some success. Jalen Rose, Brian Shaw, Walt Williams, Penny Hardaway, Steve Smith, Steven Bardo, Kyle Anderson and Greivis Vasquez to name a few.

Webbdog is just ITCHING for Kam to get some PG run isn’t he? Jesus.

Webbdog is just ITCHING for Kam to get some PG run isn't he? Jesus.

He is, and I’m glad he’s so excited for a Michigan player, but expectations like this seem to be setting oneself up for disappointment. Chatman can be EXTREMELY effective and show off his skillset without playing the “PG” position in the Michigan offense.

Webb - I understand where you’re coming from because Kam does have good court vision but just because X player has a desire to play Y position doesn’t mean that it’s a good fit within the structure of the team. For instance, Eric Davis wants to play PG in college, but in all honesty I don’t see anything on film that indicates he is capable of playing that position efficiently.