53 Dedric Lawson PF 6’8” TN
52 TJ Leaf F 6’10” CA
124 Billy Preston PF 6’9” CA
20 Payton Pritchard PG 6’1” OR
74 Maverick Rowan G 6’7” PA
2 Kobi Simmons PG 6’5” GA
55 Romello White PF 6’8” GA

Are they doing measurements?

Good question. I believe they do athletic testing, but not sure if results are shared. Will keep an eye out.

Curious to see what Irvin measures out at. Caris is a legit 6’6.5 in shoes and Irvin looks to be a tad taller but yet he’s listed at 6’6 vs Caris 6’7

The roster they sent out has Walton at 6-1 and Irvin at 6-6… But I suspect those are just reported weights. Tough to say.

Caris a legit 6'7 with shoes, probably 6'5.5 - 6'6 without. I'm assuming Irvin is the same.

Caris Levert is 6'7" with his shoes on! #NBALength pic.twitter.com/m1itwydjv9

— Jon Sanderson (@CampSanderson) July 22, 2014

Jon Sanderson
‏@CampSanderson
The Big 3 got after it today! #GoBlue

Is there anybody on UCLAs roster that didn’t get an invite?

• Derrick Walton Jr. had a good day running the show for his team.

As a freshman at Michigan Derrick Walton Jr. started 36 of the 37 games in which he played, which was a necessity considering the fact that Trey Burke entered the NBA Draft following his sophomore season. Walton improved as the season wore on, posting averages of 7.9 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.9 assists on a team that won the Big Ten regular season title outright and reached the Elite Eight. And with Nik Stauskas now in the NBA, Walton is one of the returnees who will need to step forward for John Beilein in 2014-15.

On Friday Walton was very good with regards to distributing the basketball, making sound decisions in the pick-and-roll game and getting his teammates the ball where they were best positioned to enjoy success. One of the beneficiaries was teammate Zak Irvin, who knocked down multiple jump shots on the tail end of those Walton passes. With an eye towards next season, this weekend will be good for the two Wolverines as they (along with Caris LeVert) are the ones best positioned for a breakout 2014-15.

One of the players that Rivals.com is most interested in getting a good look at in Garden Grove is Canadian point guard Jalen Poyser. He looks like he has good size, he is a lean athlete who can get to the rim and he looks like he plays with good feel. Friday night’s initial look was a good one.

Currently the highest-ranked point guard in the class of 2016, Dennis Smith got off to a pretty good start on Friday night. He picked his spots offensively but when he decided to attack the paint he got there and made things happen. If he didn’t score, he found open teammates for easy baskets.

Strong start for Derrick Walton in the college games at adidas Nations. Touching the paint a lot and has been good in transition.

— Scott Phillips (@phillipshoops) August 2, 2014

Michigan's Derrick Walton going strong at the rim. He looks great.

— Michael Levin (@Michael_Levin) August 2, 2014

Zak Irvin hasn't done anything besides the catch-and-shoot role he played last season. Hasn't looked very good on dribble penetration.

— Scott Phillips (@phillipshoops) August 2, 2014

A few weeks ago when I subtly suggested that Irvin wasn’t really a well rounded player, and was vastly overrated out of HS a few people took exception. Reading between the lines of Dylan’s latest piece on Irvin in addition to this tweet, I think people should really lower their expectations for Irvin…in all honestly the kid is really a good shooter, but he is very challenged in terms of creating offense for 2 reasons - a very weak handle and he is very challenged in terms of lateral movement. Hopefully Sanderson has improved the movement, but I have severe doubts about the former.

Irvin is a nice third option on this team, especially when you have Levert and Walton creating penetration and commanding a double, which allows Irvin to catch and shoot, or take 2 dribbles after a shot fake and take his patented pull-up. That being said, I’m not looking forward to the day that Caris leaves and Irvin has to take on the role of a primary ballhandler…he’s much worse than THJ was (at the same time of development) in that regard in my opinion.

I could see Chatman leapfrogging Irvin as the 3rd ballhandler but I’ll wait until after Italy.

I concur - I think we eventually run a lot of pick and roll with Chatman, and he will be a point forward type.

But I do agree Irvin has a long way to go before he’s a real threat off the dribble.

When I read the projections for ppg/asst/rebs roughly a month ago, and some people projected Irvin at 15ppg I thought that was a reach. Irvin is really effective in his role of “just shooter” because he isn’t asked to do more than he’s capable of. I think he may have some growing pains with increased responsibility much the same as GR3. I’m thinking somewhere around 11-12 ppg for Zak with a decrease in FG%. What I’m more interested in is whether he has improved his lateral movement/defense.

I can still see Irvin getting 13-15 ppgs. He is that prolific as a shooter.

When I read the projections for ppg/asst/rebs roughly a month ago, and some people projected Irvin at 15ppg I thought that was a reach. Irvin is really effective in his role of "just shooter" because he isn't asked to do more than he's capable of. I think he may have some growing pains with increased responsibility much the same as GR3. I'm thinking somewhere around 11-12 ppg for Zak with a decrease in FG%. What I'm more interested in is whether he has improved his lateral movement/defense.

I tend to agree that Irvin is being projected to be expanding his game in ways that he’s given no hint that has those skills in the past. Just because Stauskas did it does not mean that Zak will. OTOH, I saw Zak with a pretty nice mid range game off the dribble at times last season. I think he will be more than just a spot up guy at the 3 point line; but he won’t be Nik Stauskas. Probably means that he’s not NBA bound anytime soon, which could be a good thing for the program.

He is that prolific of a shooter in catch and shoot situations, but I’m not convinced he can shoot efficiently from 3 off the bounce like Nik. Using Nik as the baseline - Nik averaged 2.5 threes made per game as the clear #1 option on his team, while averaging 2.5 twos made per game, and a tad under 5 made FTs per game. As a third option, I highly doubt Zak will match any of those numbers, but let’s use an optimal approach. Let’s say Zak hits 2.5 threes per game, that puts him at 7ppg, I highly doubt Zak averages more than 2 FGs per game, that would put him at 11ppg…but even under the most optimal projection Irvin isn’t going to average anything over 2 FTs made per game, that’s just not in his game at this point. So, even under an optimistic model, that puts him at 13ppg. I really think 11-12 ppg is the most reasonable projection, but hopefully he is able to expand his game.

I think Zak is a better shooter than Nik with a hand in his face. I also think he will shoot more 3s than Nik. He also will score more in transition.

Don’t think Zak will be able to shoot with a hand in the face the way Nik could because his release is far too slow, the swing shot slows his release down and gives the defender a chance to contest better. One thing about Zak though…the guy has never met a shot he doesn’t like, whether good or bad he will hoist. I think Zak will certainly be a double digit scorer, but I have a bad feeling his efficiency will take a hit. Not buying the transition argument, Zak isn’t a good athlete by any stretch. I actually think Walton will be the main scoring threat in transition, with Levert being second. We seen time and time again last year, with increased confidence I’m pretty sure Walton will be even more assertive in transition this year.

A few weeks ago when I subtly suggested that Irvin wasn't really a well rounded player, and was vastly overrated out of HS a few people took exception. Reading between the lines of Dylan's latest piece on Irvin in addition to this tweet, I think people should really lower their expectations for Irvin.............in all honestly the kid is really a good shooter, but he is very challenged in terms of creating offense for 2 reasons - a very weak handle and he is very challenged in terms of lateral movement. Hopefully Sanderson has improved the movement, but I have severe doubts about the former.

Irvin is a nice third option on this team, especially when you have Levert and Walton creating penetration and commanding a double, which allows Irvin to catch and shoot, or take 2 dribbles after a shot fake and take his patented pull-up. That being said, I’m not looking forward to the day that Caris leaves and Irvin has to take on the role of a primary ballhandler…he’s much worse than THJ was (at the same time of development) in that regard in my opinion.

Agree. At this stage Irvin is a one trick pony who is a terrible perimeter defender! I know everyone is predicting he will get “better” defensively but I don’t see the physical tools for such a predicted leap. He may eventually declare early, but he is a DEFINATELY a 4 year player IMO. He has a long way to go to change that for me.