Jordan Poole to remain in NBA Draft

Particularly when he had a higher usage rate than the player whose high usage he’s complaining about🙃

I know that’s not exactly what they mean with the Simpson comments, but if Poole could’ve handled more pick and roll responsibilities I guarantee Beilein would’ve hopped on that ASAP.

I have nothing to add other than it’s hilarious he’s now charging $75 for his cameo.

3 Likes

I don’t get why he keeps upping the price when it appears like no one has bought one yet, lol.

Haha yeah unless you just can’t tell if people are buying. I see there’s a private shout out option but I admittedly have zero clue how that all works ha.

Yeah, videos are public by default, so they’ll appear on the page unless the requester goes out of their way to make it private. And the only review appears to be left by Jordan himself in response to an intro video.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for explanation. That makes sense.

If that’s the case, sure seems like he got no bites and might be trying to save face by continuing to bump it up acting like it was a joke ha.

I’ve been thinking about this since yesterday. If sophomore Stauskas was playing the 2 next to junior Simpson, does anyone think Stauskas would have been used in the pick and roll the way he was?

The Athletic article is an interesting read. I think Jordan’s dad is wrong about players not getting drafted as a Junior or Senior, but…I do understand that ball handling opportunities are not going to be as available with X as your starting point guard (X is never going to be effective playing off the ball due to his subpar shooting). I’d have to look back at tape to really look at Jordan’s PnR opportunities this year, but I think it’s myopic to think that Jordan just couldn’t “handle” the responsibilities. All it takes is a defender taking an extra step or two into the lane (sagging off a non shooter like X) and it takes away an option in the PnR game. Obviously there were times that Coach B was frustrated with Poole hunting some crazy shots or turning the ball over, but our offense wasn’t clicking for much of the year due to personnel anyway.

With that being said, I really hope that Jordan gets drafted as high as possible and is able to have a successful career.

2 Likes
1 Like

What’s funny is I was thinking the same thing, and had to double check what Walton and Albrecht (the “point guards” of that team) shot from 3 - 41% from Walton and 39% from Albrecht. Obviously having a point guard who can spot up from 3 allowed Stauskus to really be a triple/quadruple threat in the PnR.

Coming into the season, I thought Poole could be a deadly weapon for us as a ball handler in pick and roll. So, while he didn’t get the volume of attempts at it that Simpson did, he did get them, and I paid particular attention to those possessions. From my memory, he saw a lot of traps to take away his shot, which makes sense. But even when the big dropped a little, he usually didn’t have the burst off the dribble to get in the lane or make a play. A lot of faints into the lane, which would lead to him backing out and making something happen 1 on 1 or a kick out. Probably his best ability to score out of it was when he could get to a mid range pull up, and he just bricked so many of those during conference play. I’ll be interested to see if Dylan’s analysis support what I remember seeing. Because I think we all know, if the answer to this offense’s problems was simply putting Poole in more pick and rolls, it would have happened.

Nonetheless, I wish nothing but the best for this guy. Just a really easy guy to like and root for from a fan perspective. Hoping for a couple G league years that manifest into a nice career as a microwave off the bench.

My opinion: Stauskas would have been used more in the PnR than Poole was this year (but less than he did his sophomore year). Honestly, I dont believe that Stauskas would be B1G POY next Simpson because i would expect his multifaceted game would get diluted to more catch and shoot threes than he had (probably a higher ppg but lower assist per game). I think he would have been extremely effective still but would definitely have played an adjusted role on this team

3 Likes

As said previously Poole was my favorite player on the team. Did he drive me nuts at times yes but still loved watching him play.

In looking at the numbers… Simpson averaged a hair under 34 minutes a game and Poole averaged a hair over 33 minutes a game. So essentially on the floor together the lions share of the time.

Do I think with reps that Poole could have become a proficient PNR player? Absolutely but sitting Simpson to do so would have meant giving up what most of us and most importantly the coaching staff thinks was the best on the ball defender in the league out of the game.

Pretty sure the staff knew the pluses and minuses of the decision and went with the defense rather than the offense.

Poole’s have been successful in making narrative about X. Gotta give them credit.

Could not read the whole article but get the idea. You do not agree that Simpson playing almost 34 minutes a game and dominating the ball hinders Poole’s chances at adding to his skill set? Or at least highlighting what he feels he can already do?

1 Like

Yea I think when you have X, Matthews and Teske all out there (Say 30% shooters from 3), the spacing is alot different than when stauskus had Walton, Lavert, GRIII on the wing.

it’s not solely on X, but Poole and Co arent completely in fantasy land

Matthews shot 29.9% from three this year and GRIII shot 30.6% in 13-14. Really no difference.

13-14 didn’t have a center who can shoot the three to help spacing either.

If X truly was the issue, with his man sagging off in PnR coverage, then you make the pass to X every time if he’s open.

There’s part excuse in Poole’s dad quotes. There’s definitely truth but also embellishments.

Sounds like a valid point to me about Matthews/GR3, and about Teske vs Morgan/Horford.

1 Like

So the sample size here may be a factor, but, if I’m reading this right, it should be no surprise that the offense was far better with the ball in Z’s hands. Surprising that the defense wasn’t better.

It really seems to me that the bottom line with Poole is that a shooter has to make his shots before anyone cares what he can do off the dribble. 37% for the year isn’t special when that’s your money skill.