Jordan Poole to remain in NBA Draft

I’m just happy Poole (#68) ranks 4 stops higher than Tyus Battle (#72) on ESPN’s players list.

2 Likes

I’d also suggest hiring an agent before giving on the record interviews, presuming the agent would recommend against it.

3 Likes

Reminds me of when Hicks is screaming at Vasquez while her boyfriend Drake just got splashed with alien acid just as the transport doors closed: “He’s gone! He’s gone!”

Curious, How did Poole’s usage this year compare to Rahkman’s usage overall last year and specifically in ball screens?

Think Poole’s complaint about the way he was used in the offense is mostly bunk. Simpson controlled the ball a ton but he was also damn effective in using ball screens and to make like Poole just stood in the corner every possession is untrue.

2 Likes

I don’t think they know what they are doing truth be told. Even moreso after reading that article. This is looking very, very shaky from my POV. Hopefully he proves people wrong and succeeds.

1 Like

The article did say he is on the verge on signing with a high profile agency so hopefully for Jordan’s sake, his dad will take a step back and let the professionals take it the rest of the way.

1 Like

Ego is a tough, tough thing to overcome, and Jordan’s pop simply has it in excess. Not an indictment, especially if Jordan smokes the NBA, but a young adult needs to hear his own voice before his elder’s.

In your opinion, why did JP regress after that December run? I remember that article you wrote about JP unlocking the UM offense through the ball screen. What happened? Less opportunities?

Working on an article about this for hopefully tomorrow.

3 Likes

I hope Poole is correct in his belief that he is a first round pick. I really do. I didn’t see it this year and JP had plenty of chances to step up . I think blaming it on Simpson is just bad form. Hard to hear actually but I do believe Poole and Simpson weren’t on the same page. Again, if you want to explain what happened in the Texas Tech game, you need to understand that our back court wasn’t in synch. Hard to win that way. Also why I said that this had to end. Can’t go into next year with this issue

As suspected, Mr. Poole’s comments show a lot of delusion in that camp. Poole wasn’t in the perfect situation this year next to a point guard who can’t shoot, but he very much had his opportunities. The reason he wasn’t successful had nothing to do with the inability to showcase himself, it’s because he wasn’t able to make proper decisions and knockdown his shots in the opportunities that he had. I also think they are also intepreting the NBA committee feedback as basically a guarantee to be a late first / early second. But from the NBA’s own data, if the plurality of NBA teams describe you as a late second round pick in the feedback, there is very little certainty in your position or whether you are drafted.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s just weird. Obviously he can shoot better from 3 next year. That’s what he can do to improve. I get that they have this vision of what Poole can do, and it might not be unrealistic. He’s wonderfully talented. But Jordan Poole’s version of ``walk before you run’’ is to make the damn 3s. The NBA doesn’t care about his on-ball skills if he’s not making his 3s.

Anyways, it’s probably all for the best. Beilein needs to strike the right balance between prepping kids for the pros and winning games, and with some players that’s easier than with others. Hopefully Wagner comes over or Quinones sees the opportunity before him or Pierce can play the 2 or Brooks is ready to make 3s in the high 30s percentile or DDJ is going to take a sophmore leap and do the same. What’s nice about all that is the volume of options Beilein has at the spot. Only one or two need to hit.

I agree, but I would be concerned with our size at the 2 if DDJ of Brooks starts at the 2 is my only issue with those options.

Sure. Those scenarios could exist, and some teams could match up very well with us if they have a particularly large and quick-footed SG – someone too big for Brooks or DDJ or too quick for any of Wilson or potentially Wagner or Pierce.

I forgot to mention Nunez too. I get that there’s plenty of skepticism, but if that shot’s there and he can defend, there you go.

1 Like

When JP had ball screen chances, he was not adept at it. Maybe he just needed more chances. I remember how Nik was mostly a spot up shooter as a frosh and then killed it on ball screens as a soph.

I think the Poole’s make valid points when it comes to playing with a non shooting PG. How many times did Zavier kick out for 3’s or opportunities off the high pick and roll at the end of the shot clock? It seemed to me, especially late in the year, that teams weren’t helping off the ballside wing/corner when Simpson would drive forcing him to look for his shot or Teske.

I wonder (I’m sure it’s somewhere) what Poole’s shooting percentage was off catch and shoot 3’s/PnR 3’s/3’s he had to create? Ultimately, Poole needed to make more plays off the the pick and roll and shoot the ball better to get more opportunities than Simpson got.

I know I’m talking from both sides but it’s clear both sides created some issues.

3 Likes

I find it really strange to hear a starter cite usage as a concern. I didn’t believe that was part of Poole’s decision, just because it made zero sense to me. I mean, how can a starter complain about usage on a team that was 30-7? Maybe I’m wrong, and he’ll prove to have been misused at Michigan, but like sane1, I just didn’t see it when Poole had the chance. I’ll trust Beilein’s judgement over that of Poole’s camp until I see otherwise.

Definitely shaking my head over this… “If you come back and don’t improve, you really screw yourself.”. What? So, this decision is kind of the opposite of betting on yourself?

2 Likes

Honestly I think Beilein would have turned the keys over to Poole if he thought it was the best route.

This type of stuff brews for weeks and months and eventually comes out.

No doubt that the chemistry was a bit off, a key thing that Beilein teams build as the season goes.

Also, I think when you make your mind up that you are a pro after a 10 game stretch, that is not wise (the whole I have arrived attitude.)

Seems like he wanted to be used more like Stauskas? I don’t know, happy for JP and hope he gets those checks. If Iggy was any better dishing off the drive, maybe JP would have been happier in the O.

Oh well, can’t fault him or his parents for making the call. Don’t particularly think it warranted an Athletic article fringing around bashing certain players, but it is what it is.

2 Likes

Yeah and too think that he got the best feedback of the group.

Hearing late second round pick as the most common thing and viewing that as a positive is a bit troubling especially from an underclassmen and one who is really young for his age.

But that just shows this decision was already made.