Game 18: Penn State at Michigan Open Thread

This felt like a really important game on our schedule. And I still think we dug ourselves the hole with really stupid turnovers and very poor shot selection at times. Along with not remembering to defend Myreon Jones a bunch of times… wtf is that? The team’s focus seems really really inconsistent right now and I just don’t know what’s going to turn that around.

1 Like

Hypernegativity? You may well not be responding to my concerns about Juwan, but the game is the game. Huge gam eat home and the effort wasn’ t there by many who needed it. Lapses, turnovers, rushed posessions, lack of court wherewithal in situational turning points. As a U-M fan, I’m not used to it. Ain’t bashing a rookie coach or saying he CAN’T coach, but nobody was ready tonight.

2 Likes

Kenpom ranking dropped from 18 to 28 and now projected to finish 9-11 in conference. :grimacing:

1 Like

I mean, forget projections, we need to win a damn game for starters. It is frustrating as hell that we may have been on our way to a win at Iowa before the refs took the game from us. We need to stop the bleeding and we are just bleeding out right now.

1 Like

No argument there. And 3 of our next 5 are against very hot teams. Ugh! Time to rise to the occasion.

1 Like

Including passes from Teske post-ups, Michigan has scored 80 pts on 68 post-ups entering tonight — 1.176 PPP (95th percentile).

On Teske shots, 69 pts on 52 post-ups or 1.327 PPP, i.e. very good.

5 Likes

Crazy. Thanks for the numbers. So 100% worth it, at least occasionally, considering the other options for creating offense. The guy next to me was shouting throughout the game to throw it inside when Teske got position against their non-Watkins center. I was skeptical, but looks like he was right.

And it may have led to more FTs. But, with their big lead and daring us to shoot we went for 3’s instead.

Edit: or so it seemed. I didn’t check though.

1 Like

I don’t mind going for the threes from the under 8 timeout and later, but before that, especially in the first half, i would’ve liked to see it more given those numbers.

1 Like

This loss sucked and this season has been horrid after a great start but they won’t miss the dance.

Unfortunately I don’t know how you can say that with any certainty at the present. Since the Bahamas, Michigan is 2-0 versus tomato cans and 2-7 against high majors. Illinois just ran Purdue out of their own building. Hard to see Michigan winning that game now.

1 Like

Missed the game again. Sounds bad. Sucks they are in such a free fall. As others pointed out as important as livers is , there were other guys who were just playing at high levels early. Only guy that’s been better lately compared to early is Franz. Everyone else has regressed a bit.

Hopefully someone finds an answer and fast.

Also we got away with the sloppiness early because guys were nailing shots from everywhere. Now that they aren’t making them you can’t have that.

2 Likes

A team of betas.

1 Like

What gives you such confidence in that statement? Look at the rest of their schedule… how do you see them getting to 19-12, which seems like the minimum they’d need to be on the right side of the bubble?

1 Like

A ton of 3’s tonight were marginal shot selection at best.

1 Like

First, 19-12 implies the minimum they’d need. Nope. Damn near every game sans Neb.at home is Q1 opportunities. So, given the win v the Zags, their current net, and a bold assumption they won’t completely shit the bed and bargain basement hit 9-11 w a win against perhaps, say, MSU at home or at Purdue or the like, they’ll at least make it. 18-13 w any 2 wins outside of NW or Neb. does it.

1 Like

I think any coaching takes about Juwan need to be framed with the context that A) he has one functional shot creator on the entire roster and his system is one that runs a ton of pick and rolls with that player, which is probably the best option, B) that shot creator’s primary recipient of created shots is injured, and C) this game, while obviously having a terrible result, showed that he’s willing to change at least some stuff with Castleton and Nunez getting chopped from the rotation.

8 Likes

One thing for sure imo is we need teske to be the all big ten caliber player he can be at times. When teske plays well this team plays well it seems. We need that version of John.

1 Like

Yes. Thanks for tempering the overt question marks I had re: the sideline.

1 Like

Not necessarily even disagreeing with your questions above re-strategy or directing that towards you because I think you bring up fair points. I thought that too a bunch during and after the game, but after thinking a bit more I was just like “well what is he supposed to do with this roster?” I think it’s a “N/A” for me until he has a roster that more closely resembles how teams are generally built.

I understand why his offensive system would be questioned because it’s not a thing of beauty, but there were a lot of open shots missed too.

2 Likes