Game 15: Indiana at Michigan Recap

It seems that most of Charles’ big games this year have been against the better opponents. He seems to relish the limelight when he knows scouts are watching.

1 Like

Our offense played really well yesterday (or IU’s defense is overrated, though I think it’s the former). We didn’t shoot that well from 3 despite getting open looks, but got a lot of really good shots. Simpson was patient and effective, and Poole and Matthews ability to create shots, especially for the latter when he has leverage, was impressive.

Matthews’s spot up 3s now look really good. At this point an open 3 for either him or Brazdeikis is quite a good shot, which does a lot for the offense.

On D we messed up a few switches in a way I hadn’t seen in a long time, and leaving Fitzner and Morgan that open from 3 didn’t seem like it could be the plan. Maybe opening that big lead made us lose focus.

I thought Morgan was a lot more successful when he could really get a body on Teske and play really physical down low.

Edit: Also, doing this without Livers was impressive, but you also saw how much he was missed. Hopefully he gets back soon.

1 Like

I wanted to compare Michigan and Duke versus Indiana all season long and have been waiting on this game. I wanted to try to figure out who dominated them more and not just by the margin of victory. I still can’t earnestly say because while I felt Duke played with a killer instinct and kicked them while they were down. Michigan played with such confidence and only played harder when needed to maintain a cushion. Did you feel this way about Michigan? To me it’s almost like they know it is a long season and playing like Alabama did in football, saving themselves for when needed. I cannot get over how this group has a second gear it seems when needed. There is no doubt in my mind Jordan Poole has worked his way into a lottery pick this draft he is truly reminding me of a young Kobe Bryant. I also think Livers shuts the quicker Morgan down that had 25 points he was to fast for Teske putting more stress on Langford.

1 Like

“If I can see the rim, I’m open” - Jordan Poole

4 Likes

@umhoops Hey Dylan, do you have numbers on what Charles is shooting on 3 point spot-ups?

Jordan Poole blossoming is exciting and depressing (for selfish reasons). At this rate the NBA will be there for him after this season if he wants it. His highlight reel from the game was absolutely impressive. He must be considered a first round, at least, I would think.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being projected higher than Iggy.

2 Likes

You just know he had a chip with how everyone drools over Langford and how he’s still trying to earn his way to the league.

Poole is climbing draft boards, but it’s from not really on the board to top 60. If he keeps up his 81/47/80 shooting line in B1G play then yeah he will probably move into the first round. But I still think we’ll get one of Poole or Brazdeikas back. Just not sure which one at the moment.

3 Likes

I’d say if he can become a PnR distributor to prove he can be a combo guard in the NBA he’ll shoot up to first round status. That would help answer size concerns that are surely there for a pure wing without elite verticality. Not sure that happens this season though.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: NBA Draft Projections & Mock Drafts 2019

Right now, from my persepective, Poole is a better NBA prospect than Stauskas was.

2 Likes

Don’t remember seeing any zone defense. They play strictly man-to-man.

1 Like

All due respect but are we really comparing Poole to Kobe? Come on. There’s no doubt he’s been an impact player and he consistently makes the tough shots in big moments, but I’m not even sure he’s even the first or second most important player on his own college team. I think he’ll bee the classic late first round Beilein player- a guy with a terrific skill set and feel, but lacking the athleticism and nba body of the one-and-done lottery picks (such as Langford). I think he’ll be a really solid nba player, but I see his role and potential as more of a high-end Hardaway, a starter and good nba player but not a star.

I don’t know if it was his fault but I remember the D missing those switches when Brandon was on the court.

I thought I saw them mix in some zone looks when Romeo and Juwan were both on the bench in the first half. To your point, that’s not something they normally do so I was curious.

He has more to offer an NBA team. Think this is inevitable IMO.

It’s not a bad life as a high end THJ…4years/$71M contract. I think Jordan could live with that IMO!

1 Like

So true. Nobody’s crying for him

I said “he is truly reminding me of a young Kobe Bryant.” certainly you didn’t take that as a comparison I wasn’t comparing the two. Jordan’s skill set in his jump back, quickness, range, drive to the basket, ability to use the glass, passing (actually he’s already better than Kobe ever was at passing), dribbling, seeing the floor, rebounding, cross over, and swag remind me of Kobe. The build of Jordan is 1 inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter than Kobe but that was after Kobe was in the NBA. That was a comparison of which you made not me by Kobe having an NBA body, you don’t think Jordan does?