Former Michigan Players NOT in NBA

4 Likes

99% sure I just saw Jon Teske walking down the sidewalk on Knapp St. in Grand Rapids. Guessing he lives in one of the complexes near Knappā€™s Corner.

Unfortunately I realized it too late to say anything (maybe thatā€™s a good thing). Thought to myself, ā€œDang that dude is tall!ā€ Then as I drove by I realized his face looked extremely familiar.

8 Likes

His IG page says he lives in Grand Rapids, so I guess thatā€™s right.

1 Like

I think he was a coach for a high school team this past year

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I forgot that he coached at Grandville.

3 Likes

Funchess technically still has two years of college eligibility left for basketball, right? (I know that playing profession in Colombia voided this eligibility). His jump shot seems legit and could be a bully under the basket with his body strength and 38ā€™5 standing verticle at NFL combine.

No, he would have none under any circumstances. Itā€™s not just 4 years of eligibility (or 5 with COVID or assorted redshirt issues), itā€™s 4 within 5 of the date someone enters school extended only by certain particular circumstances. You canā€™t play 4 years of football with no basketball, then turn around and play 4 more years of basketball. Nor can you play one sport, go pro for a long period, then play another sport unless you never enrolled in college before going pro in the other sport, at which point you could start college and your eligibility clock in the other sport.

2 Likes

Like JR Smith playing golf.

2 Likes

Chris Weinke played minor league baseball before going back to college football; Kelvin Grady played three years of football after two-years of basketball. And JR Smith came back to playing college golf 20 years after leaving college. But I buy the argument that the clock runs out 5 years after starting college. JR and Weinke never enrolled in college before.

Didnā€™t JR Smith go straight from HS to the NBA? I was pretty sure Weinke also went straight to minor league baseball before going back to college, but looks like you added that part in. Brandon Weeden also did that.

you are right. it seems that once you enroll in college, the clock runs out in 5 years. But playing professional sports before is not an obstacle.

Tim Hardaway Jr. NBA finalist and apparently a reasonable subject of Michigan basketball players NOT in the NBA.

https://x.com/clarkstonbball/status/1796364549085630503?s=46&t=n0pUj667cv_3J7Wi5_-vLA

RIP Dan Fife

2 Likes

Dan Fife and Thad Garner. Thoughts and prayers to their families.

No memory of Dan Fife as a Michigan hooper or MLB player for that matter, but he certainly earned his spot in Michigan Hall of Fame. Did enjoy and root for both his sons on collegiate level. Especially Dugan.

Like many others, Thad Garner is one of my all time favorites. You couldnā€™t help but be enamored with the zest, hustle, and enthusiasm he played the game. That man could out hustle and outwork Dennis Rodman.

Dusty May is close to the Fifeā€™s right?!?! He must know Dane well from IU. Just not sure they were there at the same time.

Would also guess Coach May was very familiar with Thad Garner from their mutual Indiana basketball background. Wouldnā€™t be surprised if they were friend

1 Like

Fun fact: if you, apropos of nothing, google ā€œCarlton Brundidge,ā€ the first thing you get is a UM Hoops.com picture of Zak Irvin:

Anyway, carry on.

6 Likes

donā€™t really recognize the guy but i guess he didnā€™t play enough for me to commit this face to memory?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/carltonbrundidge/

2 Likes

In my head, I was mixing him up with LLP.

He looked different when he committed. He has aged well

1 Like

Do you just pull up every ones LinkedIn?

Former Michigan players: ā€œWho the eff is [telekineticā€™s real name]?ā€ when they see LinkedIn profile views

3 Likes