EYBL Dallas: Evaluations of Michigan Targets and more

I have found out real quick, a lot of people have a personal attachment with Eric Davis. I’ll tread lightly when discussing him.

I find it funny that a guy is giving you not only his opinion but coaches(who have coached college) opinions yet the administrator calls the guy out. Maybe you guys should of sent someone down there.

Who did I call out? I agree with a lot of his concerns about Eric Davis – I watched him quite a bit last weekend. But I do think he’ll play D1 ball and I don’t think that his scholarship offers are fabricated.

P.S. I loved the report, stuff like this is the whole reason we have the message board. Just because I disagree with a part of it doesn’t mean it’s not good content. Thanks for contributing.

Bear your input is very appreciated. As an ex HS coach myself we all know how kids can look one day as compared to the next. A lot of us around this great State have had much more exposure than you have had with Davis. It seems counter productive to slot levels of player potential after seeing them for the first time and having little to compare that effort to. Who knows what an individual kid is experiencing on a given day, they are not machines. Perhaps in the future projecting kids level of play could come with the caveat of " I’d like to see more of him." It’s kind of harsh to say you wouldn’t recommend a consensus 4 star past the GLIAC or MAC. I’m pretty sure our coaches have had him on campus at least six times, and we have a fairly good track record as evaluators. I thank you for your effort, but you can rest assued any coach in the GLIAC, MAC, or OVC would take Davis in a second. He is not a Plan A option for us, but than either was Dawkins or MAAR. I consider our bet a friendly one, and I have lots of experience with Metroplex steakhouses!! Again thanks for the effort!

I understand where you’re coming from completely chezaroo. If I go to another one of these things, I’ll be sure to take your suggestions into consideration.

Let me clarify what I looked at with Davis (and all players) These are things outside putting the ball in the basket I look for.

First thing I look at always: does the kid have a division one body? Davis does not.

As a guard, If you don’t have the division one body, do you have the quickness to make up for it? Davis did not show that.

Can he create his own shot? Davis in 2 games I saw, could not, even against lower level talent.

Is he a “dog” on the defensive end? Davis was a very average on the ball defender. He could not dictate where the offensive player would go. He also got lost quite a few times off the ball (not unusual for high school kids).

Does he elevate on his jump shot? Not like some other kids I saw.

Can hit knock down the shot when he’s spotted up? Absolutely

Does he see the floor well? He had moments but nothing that stood out.

He simply did not pass the eye test as a major D1 player.

He has a full summer and school year to improve.

Did Caris LeVert have a D-1 body? What time did Davis team arrive? Did they take a red eye or drive a 1000 miles? Lot of variables to consider. We’ve made a living out of taking kids that didn’t have D-1 bodies, and in fact Beilein loves projecting those kids. As Dylan said, his schollys offers are not fabricated. Where would you have projected Dawkins and MAAR after one eye test?

At this point, I don’t want another MARS or Dawkins. Hopefully they will change my mind on that. Right now - I want a kid that Everyone wants. And when Any us us…or whoever - the Concensus is YES - I want them. I was higher on Davis till now. I admit it. I haven’t heard anyone say they wouldn’t take Brunson/Coleman/Ahmad. That’s who I want.

Caris Levert was 6ft 6inches. If Davis was 6ft 6in, I would have a slightly different tone with his potential. Plan B’s at a school like Michigan better be 6ft 6in if they aren’t very good at most other things as a 17 year old.

That is why in my report I said Turner is worth keeping an eye on. He has a ton of length though he lacks a lot of other qualities at this early stage of his career.

And if you think Michigan is going to stay a top program in basketball filling their roster with MAAR and Dawkins year in and year out, well, that’s for another thread.

Uh oh. Here come the 6 in growth spurt posts.

Wish list
Coleman
Ahmed
Thornton
Battle
Leaf

Caris Levert was 6ft 6inches. If Davis was 6ft 6in, I would have a slightly different tone with his potential. Plan B's at a school like Michigan better be 6ft 6in if they aren't very good at most other things as a 17 year old.

That is why in my report I said Turner is worth keeping an eye on. He has a ton of length though he lacks a lot of other qualities at this early stage of his career.

And if you think Michigan is going to stay a top program in basketball filling their roster with MAAR and Dawkins year in and year out, well, that’s for another thread.

Bet MAAR and Dawkins could have started at Ohio Northern! Thanks for your opinion, sounds like you put a lot of time into it. UM fans don’t welch out on bets, as I’m sure you subscribe to. I like a medium rare porterhouse. Izzo, Alford, and Donavan like Davis. God Bless!

What year are we talking about? Back in 89, more than likely not. We won a national championship. 2007, they probably would have been solid role players. Greg Badenhop could fill it up. :wink:

You clearly have a personal connection to Davis. Tell him to keep working hard. Best of luck to him.

Seriously Division 3? You have lost any credibility that you previously had with me. To think that a scholarship athlete at UM couldn’t start at a D3 school is hilarious!! Do you even offer schollys? Oh well I do like Klondike bars, go Polar Bears!!

I wasn’t being serious chezaroo, which is why I used the wink face. It went way over your head

You’ve tried your hardest to make this personal. Let it go.

Best of luck to Davis.

The mea culpa will suffice. I will not comment again on your Evals, they are not relevant IMO. Thanks again for your efforts, God Bless.

Enough of the Plan C talk. Did you get to see Battle play this weekend at all? Didn’t see anything mentioned on him.

As with any HS tournament event you can only see selected games. The team Eric Davis played for out of Michigan was called The Family. This team went 2-2 for the weekend. Davis individual stat line was as follows:

69-67 win vs. Team United (NC). 18 pts. 7/13 shooting
79-78 win vs. Athletes First (OK).13 pts. 3/7 shooting
69-59 loss vs. Howard Pulley (MN) 10 pts. 4/11 shooting
101-85 loss vs Each 1 Teach 1 (FL) 34 pts. 13/22 shooting

The Each 1 Teach 1 team had Blakeney, Simmons, and Giddens on it. I would caution any contributor to this site to hold off on projections of players after only seeing them a couple of times. The variables are to severe. Even without “A D1 body, unshown quicks, andan inability to create his own shot,” I’m fairly certain that going 27/53 from the floor and banging 34 against E1T1 belies the ability to foreshadow a D1 scholly to a major conference. But as with others, that is my opinion.

Which is why I stated, in my second paragraph, to remember these reports are based off of one game. I gave my honest opinion of each kid after watching one game. He’s one of the few players I watched twice just to see if I missed something, and I came away less than impressed both times. I’m glad he finally had a good game to cap off the event. No one wants to travel 1000 miles and play bad the entire weekend.

Enough of the Plan C talk. Did you get to see Battle play this weekend at all? Didn't see anything mentioned on him.

I did not unfortunately. I was pretty worn out Sunday, and only stayed for the morning session. Those bleachers kill your back.

A kid I didn’t mention in my report, but who is going to be a house hold name at the next level is Prince Ali. Him and Brunson went at it Saturday, and that was fun to watch. I wouldn’t be surprised if Prince could take a dollar off the top of the backboard and he’s only 6ft 3in.

Wow… How about that mpbear14? Who would have ever thought it was possible, Not Mr. GLIAC-NAIA Eric Davis? First he commits to Texas a D-1 school now this? Why would he even be nominated? http://texas.247sports.com/Bolt/Texas-commits-nominated-as-McDonalds-All-Americans-34750172?Referer=CBSSPORTS