EYBL Dallas: Evaluations of Michigan Targets and more

First let me preface this and tell you a little bit about myself. I’ve been around basketball my entire life. My dad played at Tennessee Tech. I’ve gone with him to scout high school players for the OVC since I was in middle school up until I graduated College. I’ve played against many D1 Athletes, both in high school and in open gyms in college. I played 4 years at Ohio Northern University. My older brother coaches high school varsity in Michigan. I say all these things not to brag, but to just clarify I’m not some engineering major (no offense JoMo) who’s never picked up a basketball.

Every player I looked at, I’ve never seen play before. No film, no nothing. Since graduating college, I find myself more interested in the football team for some reason. I haven’t even looked at stats from today. I’m a clean canvas. It is important to consider, these are observations from one game each. I’m just going to go down the list and give my report on each player. These are my notes while watching.

Eric Davis:
Underwhelming athlete overall. Weak Handle of the ball. Fragile. The pace of the game seemed too fast for him. Poor defender. Bends over at the waste instead of bending the knees. At times it seemed like he hadn’t grown into his body. He was falling a lot at the slightest of contact. Hitch in his shot. Unable to create his own shot. Very emotional. This kid would not survive in the MAC, let alone B1G. If this kid truly wants to play basketball after high school, I think his best bet is the GLIAC or NAIA.

AJ Turner:
Played the entire 2h I believe and you wouldn’t know it. He is an extremely raw player. Needs a lot of work. Upside, he is a legitimate 6ft 6in maybe taller. Worth keeping an eye on because of his length. Wish I could comment on his shot, but I don’t even know if he took one in the 2h.

Miles Bridges:
I wasn’t told to look at this kid, but I’m going to make a few comments. Most College ready player on The Family. Did it all. Best rebounder on the floor. Composed. Built like a brick house. High Motor. This kid will play in the B1G somewhere, if not, a mid major will pick up an All Conference player

Jalen Brunson:
A big time player. Tenacious defender and solid ball handler. Solid Build. 2nd Game I watched of the day and the first pull up jumper was from Jalen. Came down on a fast break, full speed, pulled up at the elbow. He missed the shot, but that’s a D1 shot. Can pull up from anywhere on the court and knock it down. Has a great change of pace before he explodes to the basket. Not afraid of contact. Sees entire floor. Best Point Guard I saw for the entire day. I want this kid at Michigan. He also had a teammate Edward Morrow who was one solid athlete. I have to imagine some big schools are after him. They played well together.

Kyle Ahrens:
Solid build. He is not 6ft 6in though. 6ft 5in tops but he has a solid build. He has a lot of motion in his jump shot. Starts it from the waste then releases it around his chin. It’s slow. He has a hard time getting it off unless he’s spotted up. Doesn’t elevate on shot. How much of this is contributed to his broken leg, I don’t know. He had a nice take to the rack in the first half and I believe he hit a spot up 3 in the 2nd. He’s strictly a 2. He doesn’t not handle the ball well and he is a step behind on defense, always. For his size I was expecting him to scrap for rebounds but he just didn’t have the athleticism to mix it up down there. He played against Austin Grandstaff’s team (OSU commit). Austin was head and shoulders a better player than Kyle. Austin had the better shot, more elevation, better form. Austin also could handle the point. He had a few nice no look passes and even caught a back door pass in a half court set and went up and dunked it.

Jalen Coleman:
Had the best game out of everyone I watched today. Elevates nicely on his jump shot. Good form. He hit around 4 threes. What most impressed me was how much he communicated on defense. He never stopped talking. He was always in correct help position which is rare for that age. He’s a very good and aggressive on the ball defender. He has an explosive first step. He can handle the rock good enough, but he’s definitely a 2. Coleman went to the rack hard all game. He never shied away from contact. He embraced it. Think Manny Harries with how he used his shoulder to rub the defender off him and to give him the second he needs to square his shoulders. Coleman had his hand on every single lose ball. The kid scraps. You can tell Jalen is a competitor. He’s not out there to make friends. Coleman also had the only charge I saw all day.

Here’s a sequence in the 2nd half for All Ohio. Coleman drives right, stops on a dime, pump fakes, gets the guy to fly by him, then hits a 15 foot bank shot. On the very next possession he steals the ball at half court and takes it down for a reverse dunk. Two possessions later, he hits a pull up 3 on a fast break. Jalen Coleman is a big time player. I want this kid more than anyone I saw today. Jalen Coleman would eat up Austin Grandstaff.

Esu Ahmad:
The program says 220, but Esu has pretty wide shoulders. He could play at 235lbs and not lose a step. The thing that stuck out to me about Esu was how poised he was out there. He can knock down the open 3. He has okay form, may need a little work. He brought the ball up the floor a few times and looked comfortable doing it. Saw Esu run the pick and roll, and run it beautifully, completing it with a no look assist. Great footwork for a big. Went against Jason Taytum a few trips down the floor and held his own. Esu is a big time player. Grabs rebounds at their pinnacle. There’s nothing on the court he cannot do.

Quintin Goodwin: The game was too fast for him. He’s 2016, so he has time. He has a good frame. Not much more to say about him.

My former assistant coach at Ohio Northern is an assistant on the All Ohio team. I got to speak with him and Marcus Gill before the game. Both commented on how much Jalen and Esu love Michigan. After the game, my old coach brought over Esu and we all started shooting the breeze. I asked Esu when he is going to commit to Michigan and he put on a big smile and said I may, I like them a lot. Both coaches said they wouldn’t be surprised if Coleman and Esu end up at Michigan. My assistant who is a Buckeye slappy hinted that Michigan is in strong consideration by both, as if Michigan is in the lead.

I also heard some news about another Ohio State commit that was there, that when released, will make national headlines. I’ll say no more, so don’t even ask.

Thanks so much. I value the report.
Pumped to try to reel in both Coleman and Esa.
Starting to think that Brunson interest is fading in us…
A little surprised at the Eric Davis comments. Seemed to have good handle on film.
Thanks again for report. I would have enjoyed watching with you.

Ben even from film he is an underwhelming athlete. People have to remember the best of the best are in this event. If we want to keep competing for final four appearances then we need a lot better then him.

Nice work Bear and I hope you’re correct about these young men!

Go Blue.

There were about 3 tiers of athlete at this event. Davis would be in the bottom tier in my opinion. If he was 6ft 6in or taller, I could see offering him as a plan B or C, but at 6ft 3in, no way does he warrant an offer from Michigan. In my opinion, a plan B for Michigan should be someone like Edward Morrow, Brunson’s AAU teammate. I liked his game.

I am going to spend all day there tomorrow. I enjoyed it. I’ll post another report.

Eric Davis is a LITTLE better than your giving him credit for. Probably just a bad day. I have seen him quite a bit, but I agree in principal. I would not lose a second of sleep if he went anywhere other than Michigan. I am surprised he is a top 30ish ranked player. I never saw that at all and I don’t see the rosyer fit at all. He doesn’t have a lot of traits that Beilein would draw up for his ideal wing. He spends a lot of time at the free throw line though, so he does bring value there with the new block/charge stuff.

Thank you very much for the report, awesome to get the non biased perspective from someone with a bball background. Would love to hear your analysis of Jamal Murray CIA Bounce, Dejounte Murray Northwest Express and Tyus Battle team Scan. Thanks again

This is a great post. Thank you for the detailed feedback for the rest of us fans!

This is the 2nd time I’ve heard Eric Davis has emotional outburst. He does look like he is still growing, though.

There had been rumors of Mickey Mitchell decommitting to go back to Texas…
Havent heard anything lately.

Thanks - that was great! I look forward to reading your observations tomorrow too!

What my brother didn’t add is a Nike rep walked by and saw their Michigan shirts and he said “We are getting that back” and pointed to the block M. I hope this happens!!

I find it hard to believe Eric Davis is not a better player than an Albrecht or Stu Douglass! Not buying it one bit. No sir.

I did get approached by a Nike Rep. He asked if I worked for Michigan then immediately went into how Nike isn’t letting Michigan get away after the Addidas contract is up. It was a pretty funny exchange.

And webbdog, I only saw Davis play once and that was my takeaway. Is he better than Stu Douglas and Spike at this stage? Possibly, but do you think JB would be recruiting Stu Douglas now? Maybe as a plan C.

I’ll tell you right now, Davis is not a better ball handler, shooter or defender than Spike was his freshman year. I’d rather JB bank the scholarship than waste it on Davis. I saw some really good basketball players yesterday and Davis was not one of them.

I’ll watch Davis again today with an open mind. I’m headed out there in 30min.

I did get approached by a Nike Rep. He asked if I worked for Michigan then immediately went into how Nike isn't letting Michigan get away after the Addidas contract is up. It was a pretty funny exchange.

And webbdog, I only saw Davis play once and that was my takeaway. Is he better than Stu Douglas and Spike at this stage? Possibly, but do you think JB would be recruiting Stu Douglas now? Maybe as a plan C.

I’ll tell you right now, Davis is not a better ball handler, shooter or defender than Spike was his freshman year. I’d rather JB bank the scholarship than waste it on Davis. I saw some really good basketball players yesterday and Davis was not one of them.

I’ll watch Davis again today with an open mind. I’m headed out there in 30min.

Of course, your Davis evaluation is the most surprising. He’s coming in for another visit soon, IIRC. Don’t think he gets an offer at this stage, but the recruitment continues. The fact the Beilein has not offered a top 50 recruit from Saginaw suggests that he agrees with your opinion to some extent. He has to be careful here, too, because there are some really excellent prospects coming up in Saginaw. Don’t want to burn any bridges there.

Sane1 you hit the nail on the head. The coaching staff is doing exactly what they should do with Davis. You not only can’t upset Sagniaw High you don’t want to upset his AAU program.

Webdog I would hope we are past offering players like Stu Douglass and for that matter Spike(even though Spike is a fantastic back up pg but that’s all he is) I want to keep going to final fours!!

Yeah, I don’t know what Stu or Spike has to do with Davis.

There were about 3 tiers of athlete at this event. Davis would be in the bottom tier in my opinion. If he was 6ft 6in or taller, I could see offering him as a plan B or C, but at 6ft 3in, no way does he warrant an offer from Michigan. In my opinion, a plan B for Michigan should be someone like Edward Morrow, Brunson's AAU teammate. I liked his game.

I am going to spend all day there tomorrow. I enjoyed it. I’ll post another report.

So how do you explain the kids elite rankings and offer sheet? I don’t love Davis btw, just curious what others are seeing that you are not?

Any chance of Tyus Battle, Jamal Murray, Dejounte Murray reports?

93Grad, I can’t explain his offer sheet. In Fact, I don’t believe it. If Michigan offers, it’s because we wiffed on everyone else.

Working on today’s report now.