Derryck Thornton - Killing the Top 100 Camp

This kid is going to be special at his school of choice, hopefully it’s Michigan. Love the fact that he’s a 2 way player, which is why I like him a good deal more than Winston.

Really enjoy the defensive intensity Derryck Thornton brings to the table. Tough as nails on D. Poised playmaker @Top100Camp

— Rick Lewis (@Coach_Rick57) June 19, 2014

On ball defense Derryck Thornton sets the bar. West coast guards doesn't let anything come easy on perimeter. Gritty- tough #NBPATop100Camp

— Corey Evans (@coreyevans_10) June 19, 2014

2016 pg Derryck Thornton Findlay Prep very impressive tonight @Top100Camp . Picking up full court, scoring, playing with great intensity.

— Ryan Silver (@RyanSilver1) June 18, 2014

I really like the way 2016 point guard Derryck Thornton runs an offense.

— Jeff Rabjohns (@JeffRabjohns) June 19, 2014

2 high level PG's in 2016 going head to head @Top100Camp.Both @DerryckThornton and DeAaron Fox r quick, skilled and loaded W/passing vision

— Paul Biancardi (@PaulBiancardi) June 19, 2014

Want this kid soon… Let him come up for a fball game and it’s over imo

Thornton averaged 8 points and six assists per game last night, shot 50% from the floor. No. 2 in assists on the first day.

Named top defensive player from yesterday. Geez do I want this kid in maize and blue

http://hoopsintel.sportswar.com/2014/06/19/nbpa-top-100-wednesday-night-standouts/

Derryck Thornton looks pretty good when he gets in high pick and roll. Also applies pressure defensively. #nbpatop100

— Eric Bossi (@ebosshoops) June 19, 2014

Derryck Thornton is having a terrific morning game. Running his team and creating for guys. Has a three & a couple finishes at the rim.

— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) June 19, 2014

Good half of play from Derryck Thornton, Jimmy Whitt, Dwayne Bacon #NBATop100

— Jerry Meyer (@jerrymeyer247) June 19, 2014

Cheick Diallo, Derryck Thornton, Malik Monk & Derrick Jones are proving to be too much this morning!! #BIReports

— Dain Ervin (@BIReports) June 19, 2014

Derryck Thornton has a lot of Mateen Cleaves in his game..Looks like De'Aaron Fox tryna show the evaluators & Thornton a lil something tho

— Dain Ervin (@BIReports) June 19, 2014

Derryck Thornton has his niche as THE true point in the 2016 class at this stage. Always racks up high assist totals. Leader. #Top100Camp

— Future150.com (@Future150) June 19, 2014

Camp Assist leaders Justin Jenifer and @DerryckThornton going head to head on court 2. #NBPATop100Camp pic.twitter.com/hVDwPDItaL

— Top 100 Camp (@Top100Camp) June 19, 2014

Derryck Thornton is imposing his playmaking skills on the game early. #NBPATop100Camp

— Coach John Lucas (@CoachJohnLucas1) June 19, 2014

Malik Monk and Derryck Thornton have some chemistry brewing. Thornton with half court oop pass. Next possession Monk with behind back dish

— Corey Evans (@coreyevans_10) June 19, 2014

Really enjoy the defensive intensity Derryck Thornton brings to the table. Tough as nails on D. Poised playmaker @Top100Camp

— Rick Lewis (@Coach_Rick57) June 19, 2014

Big Time PG matchup @Top100Camp Derryck Thornton vs. Seventh Woods (both 2016) - They get to the lane at will, great teammates

— Tim McCormick (@TMcCormickESPN) June 18, 2014

Malik Monk getting hooked up by fellow 2016 5 Star @DerryckThornton for buckets this quarter for team Knicks

— Top 100 Camp (@Top100Camp) June 18, 2014

Safe to say ESPN looks foolish ranking DTJR in the 30s.

There is no way in hell that kid isn’t a top 20 player - he has all the tools.

There is too much hype about Derryck. I will be heartbroken if he doesn’t Go Blue.

I agree Dingo, the hype scares me.

One thing to keep in mind… Derryck hasn’t played on any of the EYBL/Adidas/UA circuits this spring, which has led to a bit of underexposure (see ESPN dropping his ranking). Big weekend at NBA Camp + a Kentucky visit would go a long way toward cementing his status as a McDAA level player.

A bit of validation for him, which is deserved.

Three consecutive days on UKs campus? Hope the kid can at least get out of there without being mesmerized by the hype and hoopla and give himself time to think. Won’t surprise me one bit if he ends up a 'Cat.

Three consecutive days on UKs campus? Hope the kid can at least get out of there without being mesmerized by the hype and hoopla and give himself time to think. Won't surprise me one bit if he ends up a 'Cat.

Ehhhh 3 is very loose: night, full day, full day… same as UM.

UK will have offers out to 5-6 different PGS before it is done.

And DTJR will likely be ranked the #1 PG before it’s all done as well. Cal loves those trophys.

I’d be shocked if Dennis Smith Jr is not the #1 PG in 2016.

Seventh Woods, Kobi Simmons, Lonzo Ball, Mustapha Heron, DTJR fighting for #2

Best PG class in recent memory.

Dennis Smith can do a lot of great things, but I love that Thornton is a two-way player. Smith … isn’t. At least not from what I saw in Indy.

The only thing holding back DTJR from being #1 ( as identified correctly by Dylan ) is exposure. The eternal debate about the criteria for what makes a consummate PG can be volleyed back and forth forever, but the fact being is that this kid has it all and will eventually be acknowledged. Smith’s highlight reel dunks and explosion are great for oohing and aahing, but there is no way DTJR won’t be considered #1 by some of the services when all said and done. Just hope he has deep seeded love for the opportunities at UM.

Dennis Smith is more than a highlight reel, he is an actual PG. Steve Francis with a brain. We’ve seen this story play out with Westbrook, Rose and Wall… this one won’t be any different.

I’m just glad its a loaded class. Theres room for the bluebloods who didn’t grab PGs in 2015 to get their guy and UM to snag a top50 PG. It is the wing spot thats a cause for concern.

And DTJR will likely be ranked the #1 PG before it's all done as well. Cal loves those trophys.

Yep- this concerns me as well. Hopefully DTJr doesn’t buy into the hype.