Derryck Thornton - Killing the Top 100 Camp

Second in assists per game

NBPA Camp Leaders (thru 6/19): APG Justin Jenifer 6.0 @DerryckThornton 5.5 Juwan Evans 5.5 Damon Wilson 4,0 Kevaughn Allen 3.5

— Dinos Trigonis (@trigonis30) June 20, 2014

@DerryckThornton named MOP of the @StephenCurry30 Camp. @kidmamba23 got the I Will Award for effort & energy

— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) July 2, 2014

I asked Stephen Curry which camper stood out to him the most. He said Derryck Thornton. Thornton won the camps most outstanding player award

— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) July 2, 2014

Jeebus, man. This kid may enter Peppers territory (with apologies for mixing sports).

I swear @kidmamba23 will be a college Kawhi Leonard. Has left it all out on court @UAassociation Steph Curry Select Camp. HIGH motor guy!

— Fran Fraschilla (@franfraschilla) July 2, 2014
Jeebus, man. This kid may enter Peppers territory (with apologies for mixing sports).

With the main difference being that Peppers actually picked Michigan. :smiley:

Being a huge fan of both UM football and UM basketball, I have to say that I’m actually more excited about the possible impact of Thornton in relation to Peppers. In football, one player rarely changes the complexion of the team by himself unless the position is QB, whereas in basketball, one player, especially a PG, has the ability to take a team to new heights.

Given that DTJr looks more and more like a one-and-done. Even if he commits, we need a second PG in the class of 2016.

Unless he grows and put on weight, doubt he is one and done.

And even if DTJr were a one-and-done, unlikely any other highly-rated pure PG would want to be in his same class. A combo guard maybe.

And that’s very doubtful being a 16 year old sophomore.

And that’s very doubtful being a 16 year old sophomore.

DTJR is 6’0.5’’ with a 6’1’’ wingspan

If you can find a 1&D PG with that lack of length then be my guest. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him at 6’1’’ at 18, either. This is no knock on DTJR’ skill-level which is elite but only big, explosive PGs leave early.

With the main difference being that Peppers actually picked Michigan. :D

Hopefully just a matter of time. And note I certainly don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion; I was factoring in the possibility he does not come to Michigan when I said “may”!

And I also agree his actual impact could be larger. Especially if he brings other top talent with him. A Battle package deal aside, I would have to think that having him in the class would be a huge draw for others like TJ Leaf as well.