Derryck Thornton - Highlights from Pangos Camp

This kid is an absolute stud. He is number 1 on my wishlist without doubt. Perfect combination of size, athleticism and skill for a PG. Praying he makes a verbal to UM, and an early one at that. Highlights start at roughly 2:15 mark. Bonus footage of Barefield, Murray, Zimmerman, etc for those interested.

Posting a scouting video of his sophomore year later today on the site. He’s a terrific shooter off the bounce from the elbows.

Not going to get any complaints from me if he commits to Michigan early. Maybe some excess celebration. New piece on Scout post-camp paints another rosy picture of Derryck’s thoughts towards UM.

Welcome back, MattD.

At this point, DTJR is a silent commit in my mind based on all I’ve read.

Welcome back, MattD.

At this point, DTJR is a silent commit in my mind based on all I’ve read.

Thanks man, much appreciated. I hope what’s in your mind comes to fruition.

Posted a scouting video/mash-up of Thornton this year.

Great report - one thing that I’d like to mention is Thornton’s body control is simply extraordinary for his age. He is literally vertical on nearly every jumpshot, he rarely comes down in front of the spot where he elevates for his jumpshot. Considering he shoots the majority of his shots off the dribble, that is quite impressive. He also contorts his body effortlessly on layups, using the left hand if need be. Kid is an absolute beast.

Very developed left hand. Have seen other videos where he looks ambidextrous. He can finish that’s for sure, and taking you off the dribble is a given.

Has everything I’d want out of a PG. Range will come with reps and maturity. An extra inch or two would be nice lol

Thornton reminds me of Zeke a bit, doesn’t quite have the court vision yet, but in every other way - similar athletic ability, handles, mid range jump shot off the dribble, etc. If this kid can be 3/4 of what Zeke was he will be absolutely great.

Thornton reminds me of Zeke a bit...

By Zeke, do you mean Isiah Thomas? I’m old, and from Detroit, so when you said Zeke that’s who I thought of. The comparison fits, but I just want to make sure. And if so, I would gladly take 3/4 of a Hall of Fame PG.

Thornton reminds me of Zeke a bit...

By Zeke, do you mean Isiah Thomas? I’m old, and from Detroit, so when you said Zeke that’s who I thought of. The comparison fits, but I just want to make sure. And if so, I would gladly take 3/4 of a Hall of Fame PG.

Yep, I’m referring to Isiah. He may be the best PG pound for pound that I’ve ever seen in person, film, or TV. He was an absolute assassin on the court. In my mind, he is probably the most underrated player of all time. He could do it all, and that’s no exaggeration. His combo of skills, athleticism and toughness is quite rare.

Hoosier/Piston scum.

I see a Lil Kenny Anderson myself.

Thornton reminds me of Zeke a bit, doesn’t quite have the court vision yet, but in every other way - similar athletic ability, handles, mid range jump shot off the dribble, etc. If this kid can be 3/4 of what Zeke was he will be absolutely great.

I’ll go with AI for a comparison. Except for the “practice? it’s just practice, man” part.