Big Ten Tournament Discussion Thread

MAAR’s now at 37.9% from 3 for the season on 145 attempts, vs 37.8% last season on 111 attempts.

2 Likes
1 Like

Who will MSU put on Mo ?

Looking forward to Z shutting down Winston.

I was totally saying that at the game. I wasn’t how it would look on a play back, but I totally shared your opinion of Matthews game. Frustrated the hell out of Palmer, just defended like a demon.

5 Likes

JB immediately heaping praise on Sadi and Yak. Between Sadi’s recruiting, Yak’s defensive prowess, and JB’s affinity for both of their scouting reports, I sure hope those guys stick around and get paid to do so.

4 Likes
1 Like

Considering Yaklich was fairly successful at Wright St and inexplicably fired I wouldn’t expect him to be here for too long.

EDIT: I AM A LIAR

I’m back from the game. I have a confession. My voice was shredded road today. I did everything I could to heal up from the Iowa game, but the Iowa overtime blew out the sound machine. Thank goodness, the guys didn’t need me or any of us in the crowd today. What a game! Just sweet, sweet dominance. Talked to a former Neb player after the game who bemoaned that his team didn’t defend well, at all. And, yeah. I couldn’t believe that 3 they let Duncan step into. That was surely asking for death from above. What an excellent bell to bell effort. It was beautiful to watch in person.

1 Like

You’re thinking of Donlan, and he wasn’t - he was assisting Chris Collins at Northwestern this season. Yaklich’s last job was as an assistant at Illinois State.

4 Likes

ahh yep. My bad. Total brain fart.

In that case I also hope Yaklich is around for a while. Maybe he can help Patrick Beilein when he takes over… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Been a fanboy since DAY ONE.

I was so thrilled we finally had a coach’s coach when we hired him. We’ve had guys who were flat out worth points to the opposition because they were so outmatched by the other sideline.

John Beilein is the absolute opposite. He can match wits and strategies with anyone.

@kturnup, I totally dream of Patrick taking over when Coach B is ready to retire.

5 Likes

He had just been promoted to head coach, before JB poached him, I think?

Edit: he was promoted to ‘associate’ head coach. and I dont know what that means

“Associate” head coach basically just means you’re an assistant that got a pay raise.

3 Likes

Yeah it looks like the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Patrick quickly made Lemoyne a legit D2 program again. He’ll need more experience though. If he can get to a mid-major in 5 or 6 years and is successful then it’s possible.

2 Likes

He sure made a serious contribution today. Great defense and a couple fantastic boards.

2 Likes

Honestly, though, when we run the offense, it’s pretty 4 on 5 when he’s out there. Guys don’t look to pass to him, when he took the 3, which was a good open shot, it felt like it would be a miracle if it went in. He played with great effort and really competed which was greatly appreciated. I was under the basket where he grabbed those boards - gave 100% of what he had when he was out there, but we just can’t really run our 5 out effectively when he’s in.

2 Likes

@umhoops any way we could get Simpson’s numbers at the rim this year compared to Walton’s last year?

3 Likes

Speaking of numbers, Duncan’s pulled his season 3PT% up to 40.0% with this hot stretch.

2 Likes

I think that’s very acceptable for a 10th player foul trouble type wing.

2 Likes