Wagner

Freshmen:
Carr
Coffee
Bridges
Ward
Stevens

Coach of year: Painter

Also there’s like 15 freshmen that could argue for a spot on the all-freshman team im excited to see who makes it.

Winston, Ward, Bridges, Bohannon, Cook, Coffey, Stevens, Carr, Watkins, Huerter, Jackson, Cowen, Carsen Edwards

Does the B1G just have a Freshman list, or is it a Newcomer list? If it’s the latter, then we’d have to see Lynch on there.

1st team should be:
Swanigan
Happ
Bridges
Walton
Jok

Unfortunately, think Trimble gets in over Jok or Walton.

COY: any one of Painter, Pitino, or Collins could get it. I’d go Painter, but Pitino will win I think.

POY: Swanigan

Mason over Walton is a joke.

4 Likes

Hate it, but if it means we get a zoned in, extra pissed off, got something to prove Walton for the next 3 weeks, I’ll take it.

1 Like

One day maybe the voters will actually take into account all the expansive data now available and not just rely on the basic ppg, rebs/gm and assts/gm. Walton way outperformed Mason and even Trimble too. I would have still had Trimble on 1st team but I also probably would have put Bridges over Jok too.

Added the whole list here. Irvin and Wagner had honorable mentions.

Seriously, they should call it the B1G counting stats awards (and even then there are holes)

Sad thing is, Walton still had him in even the basic categories. Mason averaged 1 more ppg than Walton. But Walton had more boards, assists, just about as many steals, a smidge fewer turnovers and shot 10% better from the floor and almost 4% better from 3.

There is no reasonable argument for Mason over Walton that I can think of.

Cant help to wonder if Derrick gets the nod if we win @ Minny. Seems like if there’s a toss up, the recognition goes to the guy on the team with the better record. And it would’ve been nice if they took in to account Walton’s career-high/record-setting 16 dimes on the road :expressionless:

2 Likes
6 Likes

What were the numbers for Walton the first half of the season? I imagine that probably went into the voting.

Nice to see Caris staying connected.

1 Like

Really the only argument for Mason is that they won one more game and he scored .5 PPG more than Walton while taking more shots. Walton is better in almost every other statistic.

4 Likes

If it did, that makes no sense because this is not the award for first team first half of B1G play.

1 Like

Mason also had a brutal 5 game stretch early in conference play.

2 Likes

Derrick was better on the conference season, as a whole. The fact that he finished so strongly should only add to his argument, regardless. PPG is basically the only metric that Trimble and Mason beat Derrick in, and they did it without anywhere near Derrick’s efficiency. (edit: lol, just realized Trimble didn’t even outscore Derrick…smh)

Walton:
O rating: 129.1 on 23.7% usage .566 eFG
16.1 ppg, 4.9 apg, 5.2 rpg, 1.3 spg, 1.7 TOpg
Shooting: 48.3% 2pt; 42.6 3pt%; 82.% FT

Mason:
O rating: 108.2 on 27.8% usage; .433 eFG
17.2 ppg, 4.8 apg, 4.5 rpg, 1.4 spg, 1.8 TOpg
Shooting: 38.9% 2pt; 33.8% 3pt; 83.5% FT

Trimble:
O rating: 104 on 29.3% usage; .479 eFG
16.1 ppg, 4.2 apg, 3.9 rpg, 0.9 spg, 2.9 TOpg
Shooting: 48.2% 2pt; 31.6% 3pt; 76.3% FT

Synopsis: Derrick masterfully orchestrated the best offense in the conference, both in terms of magnitude and efficiency; Mason and Trimble chucked and road the coat-tails of 1 and 2 more conference wins, respectively.

2 Likes

Sometimes these default to the team – Minny was a big story in the league and Mason was their best player. Not saying it’s right, but I wasn’t shocked to see it.

1 Like