Big Ten Basketball 2020-21 Discussion (Part 2)

Probably talking about Kofi. Common in Illini fandom to believe he could be back

I’m not even sure what contact coaches can have with players right now over the summer. Maybe they’re talking about having a coach that can help them with the open recruiting session starts in June to make sure they can cover all needs, talk about how they’d work with all types of players, etc.

Yeah, they’ve won a total of 2 NCAA tournament games in the last decade.

This year was an absolutely huge missed opportunity for them. They might not be in that position again for a long time.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of a 7 footer shooting 45% on 2s. U guess they did need a backup 5

Shrewsberry Inks 6-7 Forward Scott
Junior College big man joins Nittany Lions for 2021-22

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Penn State Men’s Basketball Head Coach Micah Shrewsberry announced the addition of Jevonnie Scott to the Nittany Lion program. Scott, a 6-7, 240-lb. forward, averaged 11.5 points and 5.6 rebounds as a sophomore starter for South Plains College. Scott helped lead the Texans to a No. 1 ranking in National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division I during the 2020-21 season.

“Vonnie is going to be a great addition to our Penn State Basketball family,” said Shrewsberry. “He is a high-energy, fun-loving kid who will be a terrific fit for our locker room. His versatility on the court is something I am looking forward to using on both the offensive and defensive ends. He has a great basketball background and has been well-coached growing up and at South Plains. Coming from a successful program, he will bring a winning attitude and work ethic with him to State College.”

In Scott’s two seasons with the Texans, he racked up 23 double-figure scoring games and chipped in 9.5 points and 4.7 rebounds per outing. During his time at South Plains, the Texans were 40-12 and made two NJCAA Tournament appearances.

As a sophomore, he averaged 11.5 points and 5.6 rebounds in 20.0 minutes per game to help South Plains to the Western Junior College Athletic Conference (WJCAC) co-regular-season title with an 18-3 overall record and 12-1 mark in WJCAC play. Scott registered his two best scoring games of the abbreviated 2020-21 season in January as his 20-point total led the Texans in a win over Murray State College. He was the game-high scorer and rebounder with a double-double (19 points, 11 rebounds) in a win at Collins County Community College. In his sophomore season, Scott had four top rebounding totals for the Texans, including a game- and career-best 12 boards against Howard College, and four games with the team’s top total in assists.

The Toronto native accounted for 8.1 points per game and 4.1 rebounds as a freshman in 2019-20. In nine games as a starter, Scott averaged 10 points. In the regular-season finale, he was the game’s scoring leader with a career-best 25 points in a win against Odessa. His first career 20-point game included a 15-point second-half outburst to propel South Plains to a comeback victory over Frank Phillips College.

In high school, Scott played for Orangeville Prep, which was ranked as high as second in the nation and posted an 18-1 regular-season record in 2018-19. As a senior, he was selected as one of the top 24 boys basketball players in the nation for the 2019 Biosteel All-Canadian Game. Scott also participated in the 2019 Signature All-Canadian Showcase. With his AAU team, CIA Bounce, he averaged 9.8 points and 4.7 rebounds per game.

Maryland will not move forward as planned with its new basketball practice facility, sources with knowledge of the situation told IMS.

1 Like

Interesting ESPN article ($) on which Big Ten teams have the best sales pitches to recruits/transfers based on conversation with anonymous coaches.

I don’t won’t to say too much since it’s paywalled, but the tiers are:

Tier 1: Indiana, Michigan, MSU, OSU

Tier 2: Maryland

Tier 3: Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa

Tier 4: Nebraska

Tier 5: Rutgers, PSU, Northwestern

Like I said, interesting read if you have access. I will say the order in Tier 1 allegedly varied greatly. Every coach but 1 had Indiana in Tier 1, but there was a large divide among people who thought Indiana and MSU were the best two jobs versus people who liked Michigan/OSU. Apparently part of that had to do with the “football school” moniker, and whether people thought that was a good or bad thing.

3 Likes

Those tiers make a lot of sense. But I’m not sure Maryland deserves their own tier so I’d probably drop them with tier 3 and make it tier 2. The nice part of the Maryland job is that they are close to talent but the program itself isn’t a huge draw, unless I’m misunderstanding the concept

1 Like

Maryland has got way more “big fish” in the last 10-20 years than the other tier 3 teams

2 Likes

What’s so bad about Rutgers?

3 Likes

I don’t have Insider so I don’t know if I’m way off here but Purdue and Illinois feel like they belong a bit higher than Minnesota/Iowa as best jobs/destinations

5 Likes

They say that in the article, that an argument could be made for a split after those two and dropping Iowa down a tier.

In my opinion as the biggest Rutgers fan on the board, not a lot. But in reality you’re talking about a program with no real history of basketball success (especially recently), mediocre facilities at best, out of place in its conference geographically, and they’re located in the Northeast where they have to compete locally for recruits with teams like Villanova, Syracuse, UConn, etc. who are all clearly better draws.

1 Like

Flip Nebraska and Rutgers, IMO.

1 Like

Someone @ the Rutgers fan I can’t remember his name.

5 Likes

This is @RutgersFanNameICantRememberEither erasure.

3 Likes

Under Armour money drying up?

1 Like

@kcg, your insight is needed.

2 Likes

I read the article and it seemed like there was truly a Tier 1A with Indiana and MSU and a Tier 1B with OSU and UM. As said above, it was largely based on OSU and UM being football schools and so that either program couldn’t handle a dip in talent like Indi or MSU could, but that just didn’t make any sense to me.

I’d have found the argument more believable if it said that Juwan can have this program in clear Tier 1(A) if he sticks around, but that is an open question and if he leaves it isn’t clear where the program would be. I think that’s compelling reasoning, though Juwan obviously retires at age 75 from Michigan. The funny thing is, a big part of the article was how MSU was really just Izzo and once he is gone it is questionable whether MSU will have the staying power. So shouldn’t it be in the Tier 1(B)?

2 Likes

This is from other B1G coaches though, so they’re aware of his immortality potion.

6 Likes