Big Ten Basketball 2020-21 Discussion (Part 1)

those Iowa odds seem like a fantastic way to lose money

3 Likes

It’s hard to believe there is only one more full day of no basketball. Someone at my job thought a 6:00 PM meeting would be a smart idea, so my usual evening reading time is mucked up tonight. That just means I have to move the huge backup of UMHoops articles that I need to get through to tomorrow. I haven’t been this excited for a season in a loooooonnnnnnngggggg time. Maybe 2014. It’s not even like I project some great season, I just need basketball to exist again.

4 Likes

A lot of really interesting stuff here… Big Ten teams can test out of a shutdown, something other leagues can’t do. Big Ten also in the process of hiring exclusive referees which makes a ton of sense.

2 Likes

Could be the next Big Ten game on Wednesday to fall.

Wasn’t the Northwestern/Prairie View game cancelled already for Wednesday?

1 Like

Yep – my bad. Forgot about NW.

Given the state of the program, an easily forgivable offense. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looking forward to the season kicking off (fingers crossed) tomorrow!! Im excited about this team. I think this team has a really high ceiling. Don’t get me wrong, I loved X and Teske, but Teske really struggled last year, especially in Big 10 play. X was the heart and soul of the team, and I know sometimes that is hard to replace, but if Franz comes into his Sophomore season with some of that Wagner swag, I could see him easily becoming the voice and heart of this team. Especially with a team who is looking for someone to be that guy. X was a mastermind in the pick-n-roll, but I suspect we won’t see as much of that this year. Whoever is playing the one should be an upgrade as far as shot making goes. X was never a threat to shoot until teams dared him. Free throw shooting should be much better too. Combine that with Hunter showing some skill, Johns Jr taking a step up. Austin Davis isn’t terrible! We were all touting him at some point last year, and there were numerous games he outplayed Teske. No, he is not a defensive force, but he is a big boy who can alter shots and bang inside and has a lot of experience. He finished alot of shots around the rim last year, which Teske really struggled to do. Foul trouble will most likely always be an issue with him, but I am looking forward to see fifth year AD. Combine that with Chaundee, a healthy Livers, Brooks, T Will and Zeb. I really think this team is under valued. And yes, I am biased and glass half full guy. Go Blue!

2 Likes

I’m sticking by the Hawkeyes to make the final four whenever that may be. I think you fools are underestimating the value of how long this team has been together, the wars they’ve been through, and the lessons they’ve learned collectively. Of course excellent chance that I’m the fool but I like their chances. Only thing that can stop Iowa is rampant Covid amongst the boys at tourney time.

1 Like

Have they learned any lessons about playing defense after all this time?

7 Likes

JJ3 I thought I was the only one!! I am more invested in the Hawkeyes than I ever thought possible just because I want to prove I’m not crazy to the rest of the board here haha

1 Like

Defense is overrated. These guys going to rely on offense and rebounding. Fun team to watch. I wish Coach Beilein was coaching them instead of Fran but you can’t have everything

This is a great point. JB coaching this team would have me believing in them. I will keep sticking by my point that Fran losing it will cost them at least a game or two this year. Like it does every year.

Well they are gonna be in a lot of trouble if they are relying on defensive rebounding.

Famous last words

4 Likes

Maybe it’ll be like football and everyone just kinda forgets how to do that unnecessary defense thing.

1 Like

An unstoppable force meets an immovable object. John Beilein’s aversion to iso post ups vs Luka Garza’s existence. Who comes out on top???

I think Iowa is completely overrated. Teams will figure out how to guard Garza and I don’t think he has enough around him. Joe Weiskamp disappears at times. I’m not saying they won’t be a good team, but I just don’t think they’re final 4 good

1 Like

There are a few coaches where I almost always knock their team down a few pegs solely due to their existence. Mark Turgeon is one. Fran McCaffrey. Sean Miller. Rick Barnes. Obviously the younger Pitino. Mike Brey, who I appreciate from the “is a totally clean coach” POV, but also might suggest that he dirties it up since he doesn’t seem to have the talent evaluation or coaching skill to consistently compete cleanly (Six Ken Pom top 25 finishes in 20 years. A single top 10 finish). Some of these are certainly illogical and based on stuff like a long history of me personally getting burned by them in my bracket picks (Hello, Miller and Barnes). The Big Ten ones are from watching up close. And then I just dislike Notre Dame lol.

1 Like