2021 NBA Draft Discussion

PJ Tucker is Liddell’s best case scenario as a pro. I like him and his game. If he can show that he can guard in the perimeter and hit 3 pointers consistently, he will have a long career.

College spacing is so bad which made it harder for guards to succeed because they can’t get into the paint because team can pack the paint for that reason. NBA, you can’t do that.

Cade is going to end up as a better pro than college player for that reason plus the supporting cast will be a lot better. His strengths aren’t highlighted at OSU which is passing and vision plus the OSU system isn’t designed for Cade to succeed as well.

3 Likes

I mentioned Franz’s lapses on d back after he got shut out on the all B1G list, and got crickets. But, like Vecenie, I do think there’s a bit of Jekyll and Hyde thing there where at times he’s getting bucketed. More of that could owe to blown assignments or other teammates than I’m equipped to read, but when he’s very active steals, blocks, etc. he’s a monster. On closeouts. . . he was not quite there for a couple of big opposing team threes a game. Still, I assume that with his physical gifts and agility, in time he’s very good all the way around.

EDIT: About how Franz is going to fill out. . . one might look to his brother for hints. Seems to me that he’s quite a bit less sticklike than his older bro now. It’s not hard to imagine him becoming big enough to bully his way in the NBA.

1 Like

Franz was Michigan’s best defender by a wide margin. I don’t think defensive lapses were a problem for him at all.

13 Likes

We all know he’s great, but I agree with Vecenie that he often got burned for a couple of big threes a game. Maybe that’s par for the course; likely it’s something he can improve. He’s clearly got the tools. I disagree with V, and think that he is going to stick at the next level as a role player.

1 Like

I just don’t really think that’s the case. Wagner was basically the skeleton that made Michigan’s defense so good. And it finished 4th in the country and defended the 3-point line better than just about anyone.

Wagner played almost every minute and sometimes people made shots over him. It’s basketball and the other team makes shots but I don’t attribute that much to defensive lapses.

Chaundee Brown is the guy who I would say made the most off the ball lapses defensively this season.

I think the bigger thing is that Wagner was so active as a help defender that maybe things seem like defensive lapses, but a lot of that came down to his role on that side of the ball.

12 Likes

I listened to Vincenie’s podcast and wasn’t sure what he was talking about with Franz’s defense. He was fine. (And I actually liked when Juwan put him on Tyger.) That one layup Tyger hit… that’s going to happen occasionally. Zavier would do that to people too sometimes. Defense wasn’t Michigan’s problem in that game. One guy went off on mostly contested jumpers and they only scored 51.

2 Likes

I still am surprised/confused that U-M never put Franz on Juzang, though.

17 Likes

Me too. Seems they prefer to have Brooks and Brown guard the guys you know you’ll have to chase through screens.

1 Like

Made the same comment on the game thread shortly after Franz picked up his second foul. Suspect Juwan would like a Mulligan on the decision not to put Franz on him (at least for a few possessions).

1 Like

or akin to one of the Landry brothers

Best defender I have seen at Michigan since Gary Grant nand, even then, a better off-ball defender.

4 Likes

They only made 3 3s. One, Franz probably needed to switch faster onto Juzang in the corner. The other Juzang hit was 100% on Brown. The other three was Campbell when we helped off him and the driver kicked it to the corner.

In the other two tournament games against legit comp, the teams made a combined 11 3s. None of which I distinctly remember being Franz’ fault. Most of FSU’s came when they were down double digits.

Our 3 point defense was very good all year and Franz was awesome at contesting shots at the 3 point line.

2 Likes

Todd is way too low. I watched some g league games Late where he really impressed. He’s going to succeed as a modern 4 in the nba.

2 Likes

The kid is going to end up being a really nice piece. Pick and pop nightmare.

I see Franz as Nic Batum more than Covington. Covington basically doesn’t dribble and only shoots spot ups, Batum is a big rangy guy with lots of length and an effective passer/facilitator (and a questionable shooter!). When Batum was healthy/engaged he was also a plus defender.

3 Likes

that is an elite comp. great call IMO

1 Like

Not that I’m looking for recognition (okay, maybe just a bit), but could you think that he reminds you of Nic Batum because I mentioned it 2 weeks ago lol

13 Likes

I genuinely just arrived at the same conclusion on my own!

But it’s good we reached the same conclusion, as I am a basketball genius.

12 Likes

I’ll give that to you. I’ve loved that comparison ever since you posted it.

2 Likes