2021 NBA Draft Discussion

I think the Pistons should look at him at 37. Would have Jerami Grant to study under.

I played pickup ball with Gary Grant at the old IM building once; have probably bragged about that here before! (Well, I ran up and down the floor as he swooped and shot, covered nine or ten feet with every dribble.) Guy was unbelievable. Iā€™m gonna go out on an old man limb and say that Franz isnā€™t as good, but I am in no way contesting the fact that he is a marvelous defender.

2 Likes

How about Tayshaun Prince for a Franz comparison? Thatā€™s who he reminds me of defensively with the crazy length.

I like the Batum compare. I think that Franz might easily be that large in no time. Prince, IIRC, was a string bean when he reached the league.

1 Like

Thatā€™s been my comp. Can post a little. Decent shooter. Glue guy on offense. Long limbed perimeter defender.

I think Liddell is better today inā€positionlessā€ world than 10 years ago. I could see him setting screens, corner shooter, etc. Defense is the major concern, obviously. A 4? Maybe a 3? Hard to see. But heā€™s impressively skilled.

I find it hard to believe Garza would be picked before Kofi. I know Garza can shoot but defensively i donā€™t get it. I suppose the NBA comp for Garza is Kelly Olynyk (sp?) with a better post game, but KO has some mobility whereas Garza seems to have none.

1 Like

Tay is a good comparison for me, given he comes from an era in which I watched a lot more NBA. Mabye there are better comps with more-recent players; I canā€™t say.

I think that Tay came in with a similar level of point-foward/secondary-playmaker expectations, and came with a versatile offensive game that didnā€™t all translate in the NBA, and thatā€™s whatā€™ll happen with Franz. He isnā€™t likely to average 4-5 apg or be a three-level thread, but heā€™ll be a guy who finds his spots and scores efficiently from them. Wonā€™t be creating for others necessarily, but heā€™ll be a plus-level passer who helps make the offense go and gets you a few more assists than your average 3&D wing.

But itā€™s hard to project. Heā€™s still just 19 and you can see heā€™s still figuring himself out. Thereā€™s a lot of upside and reaching it will be both a physical and a mental process.

2 Likes

Prince is a little more in my comfort zone as an NBA era so I like that comp a fair amount. Versatile, long-armed defenderā€¦solid in all areasā€¦good secondary scorerā€¦streaky shooterā€¦probably never going to be a #1 option for any team but valuable piece for a good team.

If Wagner could mimic his career - that would be awesome:
13 years, 11ppg, 4rpg, 2.5apg, 37% from three, 45% overall.

2 Likes

I would say Franzā€™ closest comp is Klay Thompson with a little bit of Nate Robinson and Shaquile Oā€™Neal. Terrific post presence and insane dunking ability for a guy so tiny along with elite sharpshooting. I would add that he has Jason Kiddā€™s passing vision as part of his arsenal but I donā€™t want to go too overboard.

Far from a 3 and D guy, I project him to be the greatest player of all time at the next level.

10 Likes

Hard to argue with.

2 Likes

He also kinda reminds me physically of Robert ā€œTractorā€ Traylor.

4 Likes

I said since, implying Grant may be betterā€“with the caveat on off-ball D.

1 Like

One more name here for Franz:

Aleksej Pokusevski

Heā€™s younger than Franz despite being in the NBA, but has a pretty similar body and skill set.

1 Like

Andrei Kirilenko

2 Likes

I canā€™t think of a player with more divergent shot perception from Franz than Poku.

4 Likes

I saw a Tankathon mock a few days ago that had the Pistons taking Todd with their first pick in the 2nd and then Livers with their second.

Thatā€™s a guy I was thinking of with regards to Franz. Or a taller, better defensively, and less-floppy Ginobli. Of course Manu was far more skilled offensively than Franz is at this point.

1 Like

I have a friend who is obsessed with that comp. For months now.

Uhā€¦no thanks. What pick would that be? I didnā€™t think Todd was projected in the lottery. If the Pistons get a good pick, they need more of a sure thing. Not another stretch 4 project.