2019 - Wing - Lester Quinones (Target)

I feel like they are but I don’t have any intel to support that feeling.

What are people’s thoughts on Penny and Memphis? I personally laughed and laughed at his “they’re jealous of our coaching staff” line. Will he get Memphis back to where it was under Calipari (doubtful) or something close to it? I also have my doubts that he is doing things above board.

I would bet that best case he’ll put out teams at the quality of that Cuonzo Martin Cal Berkeley team with Jaylen Brown and Ivan Rabb. Bunch of athletes doing whatever they want. Doubt that Penny is quite at Calapari level. Cal has had A LOT of experience doing the same thing over and over again getting young athletes to buy in.

1 Like

I mean, I don’t know how clean they are, but I think they’re building a great foundation. He’s gonna get point guards looking at him just because the name and the work done continuing Jeremiah Martin’s development. With Wiseman, another top-fifty, maybe Quinones, and a foundation already with freshman like Tyler Harris, Alex Lomax, and Antwann Jones, they’re looking dangerous. The question is coaching, but with his and Mike Miller’s star power plus Sam Mitchell, it’s a glittery staff of guys.

I perfer Harlond Beverly …that kid is elite and right in our backyard.

I like Beverly, too!

I don’t think Beverly is considering Michigan really anymore. But he’s still listening to new schools. Tennessee and a few others are showing interest now.

1 Like

I sure hope we didn’t stumble in not prioritizing Beverly

OT of Lester: Would be stunned if Beverly came at this point, especially with a Kansas offer now.

I don’t think Michigan gets Lester though, I think he’s a serious Memphis lead just given recent developments. I think plan ‘A’ for attrition is a grad-transfer shooter, plan ‘B’ is Franz. But you’ve gotta cast a wide net.

Michigan has had every opportunity to prioritize Beverly over the last 3 years and never has. I don’t know that he addresses the biggest issue with the roster (shooting) and I think he’s a good player but I don’t know if he is really a perfect fit. Just not sure why he comes up so often around here when Michigan hasn’t even really been recruiting him.

6 Likes

I think a lot of people want him because he’s a talented in-state kid. He’s a plus athlete, one of the better perimeter defenders in the country and has some iso game. The athleticism, ability to play multiple positions in the backcourt and the tough on ball defense is becoming something that the staff is wanting much more than in the past. Also has that high level character every school wants but especially Beilein. But I agree he doesn’t really help with the main issue this team had this year, which was consistent shooting. He led Montverde in 3s and 3 point percentage this year but every single year prior and even last AAU season he wasn’t great from deep. Not sure if he can maintain the level shooting next year when it speeds up and is a foot further out. I’ve heard Michigan is still actively recruiting him though.

1 Like

You think shooting is the weakness next year? I really think it’s going to turn into a strength. Livers for Mathews alone is a large upgrade. I think Poole becomes steady, teske improves, eli will shoot with confidence and all the young kids can hit the three. Z will be the only weak link.

I actually think Beverly would address the number one need for next year, a creator / slasher on the perimeter who can get buckets.

Also before anyone mentions it , yes I did repeat what I said previously. Just surprised so many don’t see a jump coming.

I’m more worried about the defense taking a step back. Livers is a better shooter, but he can’t replicate Matthews on D. Matthews was the keystone of our D and there’s nobody who can pick up where he left off.

Livers is a really good defender.

1 Like

He’s a good defender, but Matthews is elite. Who’d you rather have guarding the opponent’s best wing?

1 Like

Kevin Broadus is not clean.

That’s a fact.

itsafact

Are you sure? How can you be so sure?

1 Like